Used 2003 Chevrolet Astro Cargo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Astro Cargo model:

Never buy another one
By Driveoneveryday

2003 Chevrolet Astro Cargo Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The van ran fine for about the first 400 miles or so. Then it began to shake and droan while cruising at 50 MPH or coming to a stop. Took it in 3 times to the dealer and they finally lubricated the slip yoke. That solution lasted for about 1000 miles. Now it's back. The brakes are terrible. Hope I never have to stop in a hurry. Now, above all else the thing is squealing like crazy. To top it all off the tranny is begining to slip and shudder after cruising on the highway for an hour. I'm up to 20000 miles on it now and hope it dies so I can get rid of it. Oh, by the way if you go to the dealer for service do not mention it is under warrenty because they won't fix it properly.+

Favorite Features

Decent power for passing while under load and excellent load carrying capcity.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see arm rests on the seats and much, much improved build quality, reliabilty and customer service at the dealerships.

Second Thoughts
By Ford Guy at Heart

2003 Chevrolet Astro Cargo Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The van fits my needs for work, no other small cargo style vans available from other manufacturers. The free commercial shelving package was a nice bonus. Interior space rapidly diminished with those shelves, though. This was a nice move from a small pickup truck, my stuff is dry and secure. Absolutely no vehicle problems to date, drives in the snow surprisingly well.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling (although I would have liked the aerodynamic headlamps on the Chevy cargo), functional interior, 4 wheel discs (love that hydroboost) and the limited slip differential.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is really bad. It is rated at 16 city, but I am getting an average of 12 despite my best attempts to baby the truck. The bad fuel economy may force me to reconsider the Dodge Sprinter in a couple of years. A small diesel engine in the Astro would be really nice.

LEMON
By NVB

2003 Chevrolet Astro Cargo Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

GOOD DESIGN,BUT VERY POOR WORKMANSHIP POOR PAINT JOB, DOOR POORLY INSTALLED HISSES ON FREEWAY,BRAKES NEED REPLACING TOO FREQUENTLY,CONTINUOUS PROBLEMS.

Favorite Features

SIZE OF CARGO SPACE.

Suggested Improvements

QUALITY CONTROL.

Poo Poo!
By Brianfellow

2003 Chevrolet Astro Cargo AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

My astro was my best friend...until it lost a tire on the highway. I was heading eastbound on 71 highway when my tire shot of the vehicle. DANGEROUS..do not buy this vehicle.

Favorite Features

The stylish and sporty design of the exterior, the comfortable interior captains chairs, and the excitement i get when driving.

Suggested Improvements

the tires

Stronger roller cube for work
By beezer

2003 Chevrolet Astro Cargo Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This cargo van like a cube but it was very easy to load every think like boxes and others kind of things. Astro has a 4.3liters with 190 horsespower i never had problem to town that i want.