10 Steps to Finding the Right Car for You
Step 1: Consider your needs
How do you find the car that will exactly suit your needs for years to come?
The following steps will help you select, price, locate and test-drive the vehicle that is best for you. After completing these steps, you will be ready to move on to other 10 Steps articles: buying a new car, buying a used car or leasing a new car.
This short video breaks the process into simple steps, from the research stage through the test-drive and all the way to the buying phase.
If you examine your needs rather than wants, you will quickly discover the right car for you. Take a moment to think about how you will use your car. How many passengers do you need to carry? What type of driving do you do: freeway, off road, around town? Will you drive in the ice and snow? How long is your commute? Is good fuel economy important to you? In too many cases, people choose a car for its styling instead of its functionality.
Here are a few other questions to keep in mind when you begin your car-buying process:
- Do you want a manual or automatic transmission?
- Do you really need all-wheel drive?
- What safety features are important to you?
- Do you need a lot of cargo capacity?
- Will you be doing any towing?
- Do you require adjustable seating positions?
- Will the car easily fit in your garage or parking space?
Sometimes, needs and wants don't weigh all the factors that go into making a decision.