10 Steps to Buying a New Car
- If you haven't yet selected your next car, read 10 Steps to Finding the Right Car for You.
- Decide how much you have to spend on your new car by using the Edmunds Affordability Calculator.
- Check to see what incentives and rebates are available on the car you want to buy.
- Use the Edmunds New Car Inventory tool, or call nearby dealers.
- Print out the True Market Value (TMV®) on the car you want to buy (adjusted for options, color and region).
- If you are taking out a loan for the car, find the monthly payment by using the Edmunds.com Monthly Loan Payment Calculator.
- Contact the Internet departments at dealerships and simultaneously request Internet price quotes from several of them.
- If you are trading in your old car, check its value by using True Market Value® Used Car Appraisal tool.
- Call dealership Internet departments to get the best price of the car you want to buy.
- Ask the salesperson to e-mail or fax you a worksheet showing all the prices, taxes and fees.
- Ask to have the car delivered to your home or office.
- Match the worksheet prices to the numbers in the contract.
- Inspect the car for dents, dings and scratches before taking final delivery.