2013 Cadillac XTS Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Cadillac Xts - Consumer Reviews

2013 XTS Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XTS model:

Sort Reviews by

Great Car!
By terryauto

2013 Cadillac XTS Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Gosh I love this car! This is one of the best cars I have owned and I have owned everything from a Chevrolet, Honda, Nissan, Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo, BMW and so on. The overall style and ergonomics really fit what I was looking for and I looked at many cars to compare for this purchase from Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lincoln. I read all the reviews and while some I agree with and some i disagree with, that is why they make so many brands and models. As far as the CUE system, it took a little time to get the hang of it, but when you do it works great! Some critics say the car is under powered and they need to get a life, you want that much power, buy a sports car, this is luxury!

Favorite Features

The CUE system, Heads Up Display, Interior Ambient Lighting, expandable seat and the Look in Black with the Carmel interior! True heartbreaker! Also the Quality Level! I am very picky and own classic cars and this car has been flawless in fit and finish and high quality materials, while loaded with Technology! I looked at many brands and some technology in some high end brands are behind the times!

Suggested Improvements

Soften the seats a tad and level out the side bolsters, this is not a Corvette!

2013 XTS Luxury Edition
By gjohn1964

2013 Cadillac XTS Sedan Luxury 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This car has a beautiful design inside and out. I have had problems. The car came without wheel locks which led to my rims being stolen 3 months into my lease. On two occasions the rear suspension has dropped, literally bottomed out. The local dealer was kind but not equipped with the training to deal this problem. Third time, they replaced rear compressor which seems to have done the trick. At 24,000 miles, one of the battery cables became completely corroded. Is technology taxing the battery too much? Great car on the road, but leaving someone stranded three times in less than 18 months won't win reliability points. I hope the kinks are out in 2014. Nothing rides like a Cadillac.

Favorite Features

I love the CUE! The technology works well. Being able to call OnStar and have an address or location downloaded to your car is amazing. No stopping at side of road in a strange neighborhood to type in an address. The comfort and leg room of this car is like nothing in its class. I love the black diamond paint job. With tan leather, the car sticks out in an understated way, if that makes sense.

Suggested Improvements

This car has first year kinks in it. There is a problem with the rear suspension. I could not get anyone from Cadillac to call me back with this unheard of problem. The tow truck drivers seem to know about it. There is an annoying squeak in the trunk area that dealer cannot pin down. Despite all of this, I will take a good look at twin turbo XTS when my lease is up.

Gas nozzle clicks off continuously
By hampstead

2013 Cadillac XTS Sedan Luxury 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have two Cadillac's a 2010 SRX cap gas tank and a 2013 XTS a cap less design and yet I can't fill them both up at the same gas station because the nozzle repeatedly clicks off. After I contacted the dealer, and GM TAC I was told that it's operating as designed. Dealer and GM smart guys say it's the station pump pressure and the vapor bellows on the nozzle and go to other gas stations .. real nice solution!

Favorite Features

I love my 2013 XTS .. I just can't pump gas into at all stations. I've found that there are two types of bellows/evaporator boots on the end of the nozzles .. a smaller one without a hole in the rubber and a larger boot with a finger size hole made by Husky. Gas stations with the smaller boot - I have no problems .. a station with the larger boot and the hole .. the nozzle clicks off.I feel that there is design defect in the tank neck. How does the SRX and XTS tank neck compare .. size and turns .. something is designed wrong!

Suggested Improvements

In 2012 the government ruled that gas stations no longer need to add these evap boots on the end of the nozzle. Look at the end of the nozzle .. there's a ring and then search the web for nozzles getting stuck .. when stations remove the evap boot the nozzle has to go deeper into the neck (less boot resistance) and thus would increase the potential of getting stuck... did GM designers consider this??I feel that GM has a design or manufacturing defect somewhere is my XTS that in view of other problems GM is having now - just don't what to dig into a solution for me.

One year review
By tommyycar

2013 Cadillac XTS Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I love to drive this car. It is just the right size to give comfort while being small enough to be able to maneuver. The vehicle is great. The CUE electronics are horrible, however. Why is it that some engineer decided that a sleek touch pad appearance trumped function? I have learned, after difficulty with the touch, that the system (like an Ipad) does not respond well to fingertip touch but instead needed a finger pad touch. Okay on an Ipad, but awkward at best while driving. Certain things, like climate control and radio controls, just are easier with knobs. Also, voice recognition is terrible. I was told the noise canceling system interferes.

Favorite Features

Comfort while driving. Cadillac finally got the seats right!

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the CUE and put in controls that are compatible with driving. Imbedded navigation must be a years old system because major points of interest that have been around for many years (like some hospitals, I found) aren't on it. Make voice recognition work as well as we have had on our other vehicles. If the noise cancelation system keeps it from working, these things need to be synced. The major thing Cadillac can do is improve corporate customer response. If a customer has a big enough issue to call corporate, the matter should be triaged and handled. Instead with Cadillac one gets a "you need to....) Customer does all the leg work.

Excellent Machine
By alexblackhawke

2013 Cadillac XTS Sedan Platinum 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased new in Ohio while on vacation and drove back to Las Vegas. Averaged 28 MPG for the entire trip and was impressed with the long range comfort and handling. It won't burn off the 20" tires but lots more available acceleration than what was needed. All of the interior appointments are top quality and once you get used to the electronics, easy to adjust through the CUE system. After three months, had glove box closure issue and the dealer just replaced the entire mechanical and electronic component to repair.

Favorite Features

CUE System, styling and appointments

Suggested Improvements

410 HP power plant upgraded in 2014 from 304 HP ... wish it had been available for my 2013.

xts first ride review
By ofcc63

2013 Cadillac XTS Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

purchased 2013 xts premium 500 miles ago, so far so good. inside all materials are of premium quality. cue system was a little tough, now very user friendly, very quiet and stable ride, and i feel it has plenty of power, i don't see where you would need more performance. it really gets up and goes, and am getting 28-30 mpg highway. have had many new vehicles in past 5 years, and this is as good or better than any hi line import vehicle including mercedes or audi. technology is far better than any, and the price for what it is, is a real bargain hands down. if you are looking for a great deal best car in the segment, drove all competitors.

Favorite Features

favorite features cue system and all the screens that make up the dash. if you have a little computer davy you should have no problems, all new cars are a little tricky these days. interior is great very comfortable, and quiet. performance is great, good pickup and really pulls off the line. the six cylinder has plenty of punch and very smooth.

Suggested Improvements

i think the setup is perfect, engine and transmission give good power and good economy in this size vehicle. no other car this large gets 28 mpg highway. for some non computer people, may offer without the cue system, it could be a little overwhelming for a few.

XTS Review
By frothacker

2013 Cadillac XTS Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is the most uncomfortable full size Cadillac I have ever owned. The ride is stiff and hard and the seats are not comfortable. I owned four large Cadillacs previously which I really enjoyed. This new XTS is terrible. I will ever buy another Cadillac. Ergonomics need much improvement. The CUE system is cumbersome and you must take your eyes off the road too frequently.

Favorite Features

Night time lighting and exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Soften the ride like the older large models. Put larger tires on the car. Soften the seats like previous models. Put more knobs on the dash and simplify the CUESystem.

wont start
By cappy12

2013 Cadillac XTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

after sitting for 4-6 days the battery goes completely dead. dealer says nothing wrong . after returning from a 7 day vacation the battery goes completely dead. I have no faith in this car and am afraid to park for a few days . the dealer charges the battery, I could do that. gm is still the leader in unreliability ,don't buy this car until they come up with a fix for the cue. I believe this is a lemon

Platinum FWD--A Real Delight
By rgj21

2013 Cadillac XTS Sedan Platinum 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I took delivery of my XTS Platinum FWD in Sapphire Blue Metallic on May 11. I must say that I become more pleased with the vehicle everyday. I have owned a Lexus LS, a Jaguar XJ and a Mercedes CLS and the XTS compares very favorably with each of those luxury vehicles. GM has finally met the challenge of the German and Japanese luxury vehicles with interior materials, fit and finish and technology second to none. I seriously evaluated 11 other cars and SUVs before this purchase and could not escape from the fact that dollar for dollar the XTS was the best value in its class. It is a pleasure to drive, performs beautifully and has that head-turning quotient.

Favorite Features

I love the interior. The leather seats are a little stiff but they are coming around already. The materials used in the interior are comparable to those used in the Lexus LS. Just beautifully crafted. Nothing that looks or feels cheap. Just the way Cadillac was in the old days. The CUE system is a little quirky and needs improvement but I like it and am adapting well to it. The array of features it has is very broad and it takes time just to adapt to all of them but it is a very powerful information and entertainment system. The touchscreen needs a little work as noted below.

Suggested Improvements

Future refinements of the CUE system must make it more like the touchscreen devices we all use in our daily lives. The current version is not quite like this. The station favorite buttons simply don't respond the way an Ipad or Iphone does. Sometimes an upward swipe works but I would rate these buttons on the lowest area of the screen as quirky at best. I find that I am relying on voice commands much more than I have with prior vehicles because of this. Bluetooth seems to take a long time to connect to my phone There must be some compartment within the vehicle that can be locked. Not sure how or why they missed this. Also the CD player location in the glove box is inconvenient.

New vehicle same old GM
By richzand

2013 Cadillac XTS Sedan Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

9 trips back to the dealer since July. The cue system seams to have problems that GM doesn't have fixes for, they should have worked all the gremlins out of the system before releasing this car.

Favorite Features

Nice coach work. 2nd to none.

Suggested Improvements

Dealers need a lot more training, so they can service the vehicle properly.