2005 Cadillac XLR Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 5-speed Automatic - (46 reviews )
First Cadillac, no surprises
By Fibbidiboo on 08/07/05 08:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac XLR Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Frankly, I must be naive. Thinking GM- the large bank that also makes cars- could compete with the finest autos from Lexus, BMW and Mercedes reveals a sudden lapse in judgment. Yes, the Eucalyptus wood is beautiful but the bin doors are pure Cavalier quality. Sure the design is provacative, but evidently engineer imagination must have been worn out by the time they got to the wheels. I mean do all new Cadillac shoes have to look the same? But the biggest clue to engineering misfires evidenced itself on a recent 1,200 mile trip in which the heat from the transmission tunnel fused my vitamins together in the trunk. And getting it to recognize the FOB so that I can start it is a hope/prayer.

Cadillac XLR
By jabben on 07/12/05 17:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac XLR Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Everthing I had expected is coming true as this baby boomer really wanted a fast and exciting entry level two seater. It excellent and quick to respond. The oil life seems to be okay and gas mileage okay. I have never been in a vechicle that people have given there thumbs up on the style of it.

Feeling Young Again!
By Sandy on 06/18/05 11:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac XLR Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Now that our kids are grown we decided to give up the SUV& purchase a 2-seater. WOW! The new Cadillac XLR we purchased has made life fun again. This car is amazing-fast-comfortable & so much fun to drive. It takes us back to our youth & it sure is fun having everyone stare & asks questions about your new toy.

Great Ride
By DrZ89 on 06/18/05 00:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac XLR Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned a lot of cars but this is by far the best car I've owned. It is a great car to put the top down and hit the open road. The car is comfortable to drive and handles like a dream. I can get in and out of the car without feeling like I have to climb or roll. The car gets looks wherever I go. I can't imagine ever selling this car.

From a Cadillac Technican's Point of Veiw
By DRB on 06/13/05 20:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac XLR Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The 2005 Cadillac XLR has great perforance, with only a slight under steer at 130 mph. With the ground effects the chassis does a nice job sticking you to the road. The slap stick / shifter is pretty cool with the HUD system and the cruise control great. With this system, the XLR matches the speed of the slower car ahead of it until either you switch lanes or the slower car ahead of you speeds up, then your set speed on the cruise control returns to your set speed. How cool is that! The downfall is with the top down ther is very little room in the trunk, no place for those golf clubs to go with the roof down. I have seen a lot of folding top repairs already and miss aligned rear quarter glass misfits. Aftermarket wheels seem to mess up the ride.

2 years of ownership
By edwestrfld on 06/11/05 13:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac XLR Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The car is a blast to drive and always turns heads on the road. I have lost count of the number of people giving me the thumbs up. The XLR has been a solid performer. I had one computer chip issue in the first two months, which was quickly fixed. My car was one of the first off the line, and had brake squeal with low speed stops. Cadillac replaced all four rotors with upgrades. All subsequent cars produced have the same rotors. Have had one chip in the paint on the retractable roof. External trunk release was replaced. You do have to tell the carwash guys the trunk is "powered" and you don't close it by hand. Also has a hidden panel they inevitably don't clean.

AWESOME
By caddy lover on 06/10/05 14:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac XLR Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have driven the Cadillac XLR and it is amazing, better than I would have expected. I got more stares from people than with my Mercedes-Benz. Its just a great car, which few people have which makes it even better.

out too soon?
By Chris on 06/10/05 08:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac XLR Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Many details were missed in my Cadillac XLR. For example, when you raise the trunk lid outside in the rain the water drains off the forward lid and into the trunk. This causes a damp, musty odor and wets anything inside. The electronics on the car are very complicated and the owner's manual is poorly written. If a passenger who is not familiar with the car is left inside without a fob, they can't get out. This is very dangerous in an emergency! There is an electrical drain on the battery. When my car not used 2 or 3 days the battery dies. This has happened 3 times in 18 months requiring road service. Most of the aforemtioned problems are fixable and would make the ownership experience much more enjoyable, but Cadillac has a deaf ear!

Birthday Present from Wife
By Charley Dickey on 06/02/05 11:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac XLR Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I love 2005 Cadillac XLR. I can change it from hard top to convertible at a stop light! It is a pleasure to drive. Unfortunately, its luggage space with the top down is practically nil.

second one
By howdy on 05/31/05 11:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac XLR Convertible 2dr Roadster (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I enjoyed my first Cadillac XLR, a 2004 model, so much that traded it in for a new 2005 model! I have been a Chevrolet Corvette nut for many years (from 1965 on - and have owned several). The XLR fits better for comfort and style. Instead of the old Corvette wave, the XLR demands the ogle of admiration from those who see it on the road. There still are not very many out there.