Cadillac Delivers Excellence, GM does not.
By darkmatter on
2006 Cadillac STS V6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)
I purchased my 3.6L v6 STS fully loaded for $10,000 after my previous Cadillac, a 2000 Deville DHS, was totaled from hail damage. I needed to get a new car quickly, and I had my first Cadillac for so long with no issues; I wanted to stick to the brand. When I first sat in the vehicle the overwhelming number of "intuitive" features was extremely intimidating. Overtime, they grew on me, and the immense customization became a tool from the vehicle to optimize a perfect driving experience. However, with all the great number of features and beautiful styling of the car I found it was easy to overlook the mechanics. One week after I purchased the vehicle, I noticed a "clicking" noise. Continued:
Favorite Features
I had the vehicle inspected by a trusted local mechanic immediately when I noticed the noise. His assessment was "during 2005-2008 GM made faulty timing chains specifically for 3.6L engines due to a faulty thermostat in one of their furnaces." The noise I heard that sounded like "clicking" were the cam phasers. I was told it was not an immediate issue, but the noise will continue to get louder and in 1-5 years the timing chain will have to be replaced, and this requires pulling the motor. Overall, I don't reflect this as an issue of Cadillac, but it is a reminder that when you buy a Cadillac; you are buying GM. I also had the EVAP, check engine, light come on. I think it's just the gas cap.
Suggested Improvements
My overall review of the car is a good-great review. The exterior design is stunning with beautiful curves. The interior has something left to be desired. The dash is made of cheap feeling material, and the vents do not move in the Y axis making it hard to position them optimally. The glove box is incredibly small. The seats, the handling, performance, and ride comfort are great. The touch screen is reactive, but it seems outdated compared to modern technology, particularly cell phones. Overall, the small "issues" with the interior are easily overlooked, and if asked to buy the car again I would despite my issues with GM. My love for Cadillac's makes it easy to want to take care of the car.