Used 2006 Cadillac STS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific STS model:

Best Car We Ever Drove
By stser

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in June 2006 for my wife and two middle school boys. Boys are grown and gone, but car is still excellent. 108,000 miles and counting. Lots of short cold winter starts which can really wear on an engine, but no problems. Used synthetic oil and changed only every 10,000 miles. Ash tray covers (f&b) both broke off, and the bushings in the front suspension have moved out of place so we do get some clunking noises over bumps. Both headlamps burned out within months of each other and were costly to replace because the whole front end had to come off. On third set of tires, otherwise no issues. If looking at used...I would buy my car again. Hope to keep it another 100,000 miles. Good GM!

In dash GPS, unlocks before you reach the car, outstanding speaker system, bluetooth link, memory seating and the heated steering wheel. Drove some BMWs and others, Caddy was the best ride.

I have a tall torso. With the seat all the way back and all the way down my head still touches the top. If I lean slightly to one side or the other I am fine, or if I slouch. After ten minutes of driving I slouch anyway, so no problem. But if I could have just one more inch...

Cadillac Delivers Excellence, GM does not.
By darkmatter

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 3.6L v6 STS fully loaded for $10,000 after my previous Cadillac, a 2000 Deville DHS, was totaled from hail damage. I needed to get a new car quickly, and I had my first Cadillac for so long with no issues; I wanted to stick to the brand. When I first sat in the vehicle the overwhelming number of "intuitive" features was extremely intimidating. Overtime, they grew on me, and the immense customization became a tool from the vehicle to optimize a perfect driving experience. However, with all the great number of features and beautiful styling of the car I found it was easy to overlook the mechanics. One week after I purchased the vehicle, I noticed a "clicking" noise. Continued:

I had the vehicle inspected by a trusted local mechanic immediately when I noticed the noise. His assessment was "during 2005-2008 GM made faulty timing chains specifically for 3.6L engines due to a faulty thermostat in one of their furnaces." The noise I heard that sounded like "clicking" were the cam phasers. I was told it was not an immediate issue, but the noise will continue to get louder and in 1-5 years the timing chain will have to be replaced, and this requires pulling the motor. Overall, I don't reflect this as an issue of Cadillac, but it is a reminder that when you buy a Cadillac; you are buying GM. I also had the EVAP, check engine, light come on. I think it's just the gas cap.

My overall review of the car is a good-great review. The exterior design is stunning with beautiful curves. The interior has something left to be desired. The dash is made of cheap feeling material, and the vents do not move in the Y axis making it hard to position them optimally. The glove box is incredibly small. The seats, the handling, performance, and ride comfort are great. The touch screen is reactive, but it seems outdated compared to modern technology, particularly cell phones. Overall, the small "issues" with the interior are easily overlooked, and if asked to buy the car again I would despite my issues with GM. My love for Cadillac's makes it easy to want to take care of the car.

No regrets
By eracism

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the vehicle with 56,000 miles on it. I drive around 3,000 miles a month. I am 6'6" tall. The car is comfortable and rides great. It is a V6 and has enough power. I am partial to caddy's. My first car was a 1970 sedan deville. I should have purchased the all wheel drive for I live up north and the car is terrible in the snow. I currently have 114,000 miles on it with no problems. i change the oil every 3,000 miles. I am looking forward to reaching 200,000 miles.

keyless entry, blue tooth, navigation, stereo system and style

a little more interior room and a trunk that closes itself.

Love My Caddy
By Jordan

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car certified used with 34,000 on it. So far I love the Caddy. I traded in my 2002 Lexus GS300 due to a series of electrical issues. I wanted to buy luxury and AMERICAN so I went with the STS V6. This car is a weekend driver for me as I have a company car. So far I have had it in for warranty service 3 times. The window switch in the back seat went out (roll down but not up), the ashtray trim piece broke, and the selector switch for the power mirrors broke. All under warranty. The technology in this car rivals my Dad's E350 and will out perform the Mercedes all day. It is American and has some squeaks now and then but overall a dream to drive and turns heads. Love this car

Heated AND cooled seats, remote start, intuitive navigation, speakers in the seats, push button ignition, keyless system is awesome, lots of power.

Hardly ever recognizes voice commands. Have to connect bluetooth each time the car is started.

Nice Car with a few defects
By Allen Lobb

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Purchase the car used with 38,000 miles. Engine consumes a quart of oil about every 3000 miles. Using the oil recommended by Cadillac which is Mobil One-5w30. No signs of oil leaks, no smoke out of the exhaust pipe. Cadillac drive OK if you don't mind the popping sound in the driver seat when turning corners. Also, sometime the lights in the dash below the speedo/tach go out. Our third Calillac, the last two had electrical problems. After 8 years with Cadillac, this will be our last one.

Great looking automobile, when we located it on the Dealer's used car showroom floor it appeared new.

Cadillac need to step up and recall these cars for the oil problems. We have owned other GMs such as our Corvette & Silverado and others for years and never had to add oil to any of those vehicles.