2006 Cadillac STS V6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Cadillac Sts - Consumer Reviews

2006 STS Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific STS model:

Sort Reviews by

Best Car We Ever Drove
By stser

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in June 2006 for my wife and two middle school boys. Boys are grown and gone, but car is still excellent. 108,000 miles and counting. Lots of short cold winter starts which can really wear on an engine, but no problems. Used synthetic oil and changed only every 10,000 miles. Ash tray covers (f&b) both broke off, and the bushings in the front suspension have moved out of place so we do get some clunking noises over bumps. Both headlamps burned out within months of each other and were costly to replace because the whole front end had to come off. On third set of tires, otherwise no issues. If looking at used...I would buy my car again. Hope to keep it another 100,000 miles. Good GM!

Favorite Features

In dash GPS, unlocks before you reach the car, outstanding speaker system, bluetooth link, memory seating and the heated steering wheel. Drove some BMWs and others, Caddy was the best ride.

Suggested Improvements

I have a tall torso. With the seat all the way back and all the way down my head still touches the top. If I lean slightly to one side or the other I am fine, or if I slouch. After ten minutes of driving I slouch anyway, so no problem. But if I could have just one more inch...

Cadillac Delivers Excellence, GM does not.
By darkmatter

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 3.6L v6 STS fully loaded for $10,000 after my previous Cadillac, a 2000 Deville DHS, was totaled from hail damage. I needed to get a new car quickly, and I had my first Cadillac for so long with no issues; I wanted to stick to the brand. When I first sat in the vehicle the overwhelming number of "intuitive" features was extremely intimidating. Overtime, they grew on me, and the immense customization became a tool from the vehicle to optimize a perfect driving experience. However, with all the great number of features and beautiful styling of the car I found it was easy to overlook the mechanics. One week after I purchased the vehicle, I noticed a "clicking" noise. Continued:

Favorite Features

I had the vehicle inspected by a trusted local mechanic immediately when I noticed the noise. His assessment was "during 2005-2008 GM made faulty timing chains specifically for 3.6L engines due to a faulty thermostat in one of their furnaces." The noise I heard that sounded like "clicking" were the cam phasers. I was told it was not an immediate issue, but the noise will continue to get louder and in 1-5 years the timing chain will have to be replaced, and this requires pulling the motor. Overall, I don't reflect this as an issue of Cadillac, but it is a reminder that when you buy a Cadillac; you are buying GM. I also had the EVAP, check engine, light come on. I think it's just the gas cap.

Suggested Improvements

My overall review of the car is a good-great review. The exterior design is stunning with beautiful curves. The interior has something left to be desired. The dash is made of cheap feeling material, and the vents do not move in the Y axis making it hard to position them optimally. The glove box is incredibly small. The seats, the handling, performance, and ride comfort are great. The touch screen is reactive, but it seems outdated compared to modern technology, particularly cell phones. Overall, the small "issues" with the interior are easily overlooked, and if asked to buy the car again I would despite my issues with GM. My love for Cadillac's makes it easy to want to take care of the car.

No regrets
By eracism

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the vehicle with 56,000 miles on it. I drive around 3,000 miles a month. I am 6'6" tall. The car is comfortable and rides great. It is a V6 and has enough power. I am partial to caddy's. My first car was a 1970 sedan deville. I should have purchased the all wheel drive for I live up north and the car is terrible in the snow. I currently have 114,000 miles on it with no problems. i change the oil every 3,000 miles. I am looking forward to reaching 200,000 miles.

Favorite Features

keyless entry, blue tooth, navigation, stereo system and style

Suggested Improvements

a little more interior room and a trunk that closes itself.

Love My Caddy
By Jordan

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car certified used with 34,000 on it. So far I love the Caddy. I traded in my 2002 Lexus GS300 due to a series of electrical issues. I wanted to buy luxury and AMERICAN so I went with the STS V6. This car is a weekend driver for me as I have a company car. So far I have had it in for warranty service 3 times. The window switch in the back seat went out (roll down but not up), the ashtray trim piece broke, and the selector switch for the power mirrors broke. All under warranty. The technology in this car rivals my Dad's E350 and will out perform the Mercedes all day. It is American and has some squeaks now and then but overall a dream to drive and turns heads. Love this car

Favorite Features

Heated AND cooled seats, remote start, intuitive navigation, speakers in the seats, push button ignition, keyless system is awesome, lots of power.

Suggested Improvements

Hardly ever recognizes voice commands. Have to connect bluetooth each time the car is started.

Nice Car with a few defects
By Allen Lobb

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Purchase the car used with 38,000 miles. Engine consumes a quart of oil about every 3000 miles. Using the oil recommended by Cadillac which is Mobil One-5w30. No signs of oil leaks, no smoke out of the exhaust pipe. Cadillac drive OK if you don't mind the popping sound in the driver seat when turning corners. Also, sometime the lights in the dash below the speedo/tach go out. Our third Calillac, the last two had electrical problems. After 8 years with Cadillac, this will be our last one.

Favorite Features

Great looking automobile, when we located it on the Dealer's used car showroom floor it appeared new.

Suggested Improvements

Cadillac need to step up and recall these cars for the oil problems. We have owned other GMs such as our Corvette & Silverado and others for years and never had to add oil to any of those vehicles.

The Good Outweighs the Bad
By KSMYSTS

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Cadillac, and my second STS. The new design definitely tops my former Seville STS. It is a very fun car to drive, and has lots of power at any speed, without using Sport/Manual mode. Sure there are things I would change and things that aren't fantastic (like any car), but the good makes those easy to overlook. The styling with traditional Cadillac cues is a win for me, and I love all the bells and whistles - after all, this is a Cadillac. I feel great driving it, a very responsive car - it is difficult to find performance and luxury in the same package, but this is an example of it.

Favorite Features

Keyless access, ventilated seats, auto exit seat/steering column, heated steering wheel, the quality of the upgraded leather option, led brake lights with the traditional center bar, lots of customization available in the config menu, auto door locking and arming as you walk away from the parked car

Suggested Improvements

Did not like the grill on the 06 (plastic-resolved in future years), the level of plastic inside vs. padded/leather, rear a/c controls should be automatic, needs more rear leg room, the ride is a little stiff for a Cadillac even in touring mode, suggest trunk springs open for easy access

Engine Trouble After 3 years
By Martin

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 06 STS after owning a volvo for 14 years. Never had to replace the motor or transmission. I thought I was going to own this car for a number of years without major problems. Wrong! In the shop now with engine problem. The price keeps going up just to identify what's wrong. Paid too much money to have problems so soon. I am now wondering if I made a mistake in purchasing this car. I thought this would be the car that would take me into retirement. It's a good looking car, but it has it's down falls such as useless glove compartment, limited storage space in doors, small truck for a med size nice looking car, noisy, and limited room in the back seats.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry, nice Boise stereo system, very nice and impressive looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger glove compartment and truck. Top quality inspection to ensure the car has quality parts and runs like a well built car and the money it cost. When problems occur too soon GMC should stand behind their car and major parts.The factory warranty should be no less than a 100,000 miles on major part

Not Bad for a used CAR
By Romiee

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the caddie STS 06 v8 with 50,000k. IT was out of warranty though but that didn't bother me. Its a great car and very stylish. I had the CTS 07 2.8l prior and traded that in for a little more luxury. Only paid additional 3,000 for difference. Again great car and very happy. Had small minors repairs like mass air flow sensor replaced and rear brake pads. I do a lot of driving and have already put almost 10,000 miles in 8 months. This car can go on for a very long time. Just maintain the oil changes every 5,000 or 6,000 miles using synthetic motor oil for the STS v8. Highly Recommend putting Super or premium gasoline in this car for better engine protection and performance. :)

Favorite Features

Horse Power

Suggested Improvements

Front bucket seats and comfort in the drivers seats

I love this car
By Jeff lapsker

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V8 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I drove Japanese cars my whole life. I am 52. This 2006 STS V-8 was purchased with 28,000 miles in June of 2010. Paid 21,000 and added a $3,000 bumper to bumper additional 50,000 mile warranty. This car is solid, No outside noise heard. Beautiful on the outside and inside. The most powerful engine I've ever had and it moves effortlessly. The tach never has to go higher than 2200 rpm even at 80 mph. There is a penalty for all this power. I probably will spend $1500- 2000 more money in gas per year than my V-6 Maxima and avalon engines. I couldn't afford a new STS. So I got lucky getting an 06 with only 28,000 miles. And it doesn't have a scratch. Looks like new. Who uses the glove box

Favorite Features

The keyless entry and exits. The 15 speaker Bose system. The front grill

Suggested Improvements

Not having to turn the bluetooth on every time I get in the car. newer models sense the iphone automatically. There is no volume level displayed.

Nice Care
By Ike

2006 Cadillac STS Sedan V6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

After two year - I'm happy. Sorry to report that I had to have brakes and rotors replaced @ 43K. Bought with 16k - so no reason to replace the brakes - tires a still good for another 20k. Rides nice, all the bells and whistles are cool. Overall not bad except for the brakes. Recommend to someone looking for a nice car, great features, and class. Drove 1100 miles in two day and felt great getting out of the car. Ave 28 mpg - very good for an AWD, 6 cyl. I do get a lot of road noise when driving on concrete. Other then that - nice.

Favorite Features

Seat adjustment, stereo, ride, comfortability. Auto everything with key fob - very nice feature.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes Have to slam truck lid - shouldn't require so my effort