Used 2005 Cadillac STS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Cadillac Sts - Consumer Reviews

2005 Cadillac STS

View reviews for a specific STS model:

2005 STS
By sports sedan

2005 Cadillac STS Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car new 7/26/06 with 355 miles on it. Within two weeks, I made a trip to WA state. I never averaged below 25.5 MPG. For the most part, I averaged near 28 MPG. The acceleration was great. The dip stick showed little or no use of oil. I thoroughly enjoyed all the amenities (OnStar, XM radio, dual a/c, and driver memory settings). The STS was quiet and practically drove itsself, even on poorly maintained roads.

Favorite Features

I like the driver memory positions, automatic mirror positioning when backing up, Northstar engine performance, dual A/C controls, on screen radio settings, six CD changer, and all the air bags for safety.

Suggested Improvements

None so far. The car is good to look at, fun to drive, and gets good mileage.

The Most Car for the Money
By Mark Moran

2005 Cadillac STS Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The car rides somewhere between a Lexus and a BMW. It is firm and responsive, especially in sport driving mode (or manual shifting) with the performance transmission setting. It really zips along.

Favorite Features

I enjoy the technology inside. The navigation system is awesome. The touch screen beats iDrive hands down. The bluetooth works very well, though I wish there were not so many menus to call "Home" or any other voice tag selection...(telephone...dial name..."home"...Yes...). The sound system excellent.

Disapointment
By rick simon

2005 Cadillac STS Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I am really disapointed that a $60,000 car is so poorly built. What's worse is that Cadillac customer care was rude and told me that there is nothing they are willing to do to fix it. The Bluetooth connection is a joke, the people on the other end say you sound like you are in a cave and are hard to hear. The car has a wind leak in the passenger door. We even traced the location and told the dealer where it was located. Twice and they still can't fix it. The tires are low profile Michelins. One tire has a thump in it which is noticible at low speeds. Guess what, no problem found! I have always been an American auto owner, but this car is screaming "trade me for a Beemer!"

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to be concerned about their inability to compete in this market. No wonder they are going broke.

Transmission!
By Chris

2005 Cadillac STS Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

My STS' transmission is awful! When downshifting, it has trouble finding a gear, especially when you want to re-accelerate. It makes for a very rough ride. At speed, it's okay. Also, its voice recognition is poor. The electronics are too complicated, too. The learning curve is fairly steep. I also don't like the adaptive cruise control. Bluetooth is a joke as well.

Favorite Features

The heated seats. They work well.

Suggested Improvements

So many things, so little time. Fix the transmission. Then rethink the navigation system etc.

Switched
By Arturo

2005 Cadillac STS Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I had to have the the fuel tank in my '05 STS replaced, the fuel gauage repaired, and replaced the main module that controls the memory. I was informed after purchase that the DRL will not function if you opt to engage the auto rain sensing wipers even if the manual indicates that you can.

Favorite Features

Remote entry, automatic door locks, and the push button start.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the gas gauge, improve the gas mileage and increase the font on the time and date in the dash.