Used 2005 Cadillac STS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Cadillac STS - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific STS model:

Beautiful but many costly repairs.
By Linda Noonan

2005 Cadillac STS Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I loved the look and smooth ride. I bought my STS with 7K miles, certified pre-owned with extended warranty. At 18k miles the fuel pump went then 33K miles the water pump went after that it was something BIG each year. Cat converter replaced, intake position sensors, replaced vent solenoid, motor mounts, right & left lower control arms just to list a few. (seriously!) Transmission started clunking especially while driving slow or going from reverse to drive. Always garaged and maintained, I had to stop the $ bleeding at 85,000 miles when the transmission/drive train was about to drop out. The Cadillac dealer said new drive train $3,500 and there would be possible other issues. I'm done with Cadillac, this was my third, my beautiful Eldarado had mechanical troubles as well. Too bad, they were such beautiful LOOKING cars. Perhaps it is the aluminum North Star engine? Since my experience I have heard of others having numerous problems with this system.

Good and Bad :(
By ahmaduhhs

2005 Cadillac STS Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Owned the 2000 STS, 2001 STS, 2002 STS, 2003 STS and now the 05 STS. The interior is shameful compared to the 98-04 STS. The exterior however is marvelous particular the front and back end. Lots of standard features love the power of the V8 N*. Heard the V6 was no good :(

cooled seats V8 N* Push button start

interior build quality

Fast Luxurious car, bad on car though
By remyb

2005 Cadillac STS Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

75,000 miles and no problems yet, steering wheel is cracked though, lots of plastic inside but it looks ok

Great v6 acceleration, luxurious look, spacious

Interior quality, fuel economy, make it more solid, it feels like it could have used higher strenght steel in some areas,

Reliable Beauty
By Ed

2005 Cadillac STS Rwd 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

In 2005 I leased my 5th (and final) one. I love the car. Comfortable, powerful and classy. But sad to say, Cadillac decided to discontinue the model. I have been driving these cars (SLS and STS)for over 15 years and never had any major problems. Except for normal wear of consumables. My 2005 has never had to be tuned, and continues to run like a dream. That's reliability.

AWESOME Bose 15 speaker sound system! Northstar V-8 power, heated/cooled seats, great looking leather & wood interior. Just a class car.

the ONLY negative is the lack of storage space. Glove compartment is insufficient, center console is small and any cd's use up most of the space.

Do not buy a Cadillac
By jct

2005 Cadillac STS Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the car with 16,000 miles on it and right away we found out the car needed new tires and the wheels were way out of alignment and shortly after had a problem where it wouldn't start after filling it up with gas and had to get that fixed. at around 50,000 miles trans started to go out and finally went out at 77,000 miles and got that fixed. The same day we got the trans fixed the ac compressor froze up and it started spitting antifreeze out all over.

Nice interior, body style, good stereo.

Engine improvements.