2001 Cadillac Seville Consumer Review: It's a Cadillac

2001 Cadillac Seville Sedan - Consumer Review

It's a Cadillac
By On my 3rd Northstar. on

2001 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Like the age old ad says it's the "penalty of leadership." All of these Sevilles are based on the 1998 design. Compared to all other makes no one was this progressive. Sure the car is a bit heavy, expensive to own, and expensive to repair, but all in all it's a superlative motor car. Overall I've had minimal problems with this car for the amount of technology involved. The seat heaters were replaced under warranty, it had a vibration at 65 mph fixed under warranty, and the valve position sensor had to be replaced. Otherwise this is a start it up and go car. Not to mention it can pass anything else on the road quite effortlessly. Bottom line, if you want to drive GM's top of the line expect some minor problems. Overall it is luxury at its best!

The 425 Watt Bose with DSP and 7 CD capacity, 300HP Northstar V8 engine, and Zebrano wood trim. The rear park assist is incredible, there is not a scratch on my bumper.

Headlamp lenses are prone to oxidation and discoloration. Ride can be a little "crashy" until the CVRSS adjusts. The leather quality could be better more like the 1992-1997 models. OnStar could offer an upgrade to continue service past 1-1-08.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By nathaniel
on 06/18/16 23:39 PM (PDT)

6/16 -- I agree with them "dropping" the OnStar." So, I bought a Garmin unit and it's basically OK if I don't accelerate too quickly (sometimes it will fall down). I liked the idea that if I got into a wreck, it would automatically call me or 911 (I forget which).. but other than that, I can't complain too much. Mine only has about 86K miles on it (purchased in 2004 and I don't drive a whole bunch) and my original post details my almost amazement that when I bought it that the warranty could be extended because it was... I forget the name, but something like a "Certified" used car. I learned that the dealer can make a used Caddy A Certified Used Car by paying something like a $300 or so fee to GM. I glad I paid the extra, because in about a year or two (don't recall exactly) it developed an oil leak and was because they had to take the engine out and "split it" to put a new rubber type gasket on it. The Certified deal covers literally bumper to bumper, even things like a water leak around a window, etc. All in all, its been a great/fun car to drive (I think the STS has more of an European suspension), which makes it more fun to drive, corners better, etc. I'll stop now, but it still looks great (black, chrome wheels, keep in garaged and wax/polish it regularly. And as other people have said, I get nice compliments on it and people ask me to let them know if I ever want to sell it. At my age, I'll probably croak, still driving it.