Used 1998 Cadillac Seville Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Cadillac Seville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Seville model:

Keep the SLS alive!
By Marv

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1998 Cadillac Seville SLS, May of this year. I have had older Cadillacs, and loved them all because of their reliability, performance and ride. I owned my last Cadillac around 1993. I was ready for another one, and I found a good one, after much searching, with some disappointments with dealers trying to sell me lemons but when I test-drove my Seville, I knew it was the one for me. I always have loved Cadillacs because they are unique in style. The Seville raised the bar for me. I never knew Cadillac made them with the style and performance similar to a sports car. When I drive it feels like a Corvette! (Ok, similar, not exactly :) ).

Favorite Features

Northstar engine, interior, display and controls, Bose sound system and 6-disc player (good job Cadillac)

Suggested Improvements

exterior body features (front end needs to be stronger, it looks a little flimsy up close.)

Like it but a little let down
By Hamsterfan

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

First the good things: nice engine, looks, wheels, interior. Great highway cruiser. Also, the oil-losing problem you read about online is overblown. Yes, it uses oil. I add a quart about 2000 miles after the oil change, and that seems to keep the light from coming on. It's not a big deal. Just buy a case of oil. Now the bad: All the little pieces are falling apart. The right headlight assembly fell out: $800, but instead we fixed it with clear duck tape, which looks crappy. The plastic at the bottom of the seats is breaking. The engine backfired a few times and needed a fuel pump. Too many things are made out of flimsy plastic or metal that corrodes, and with time they break.

Favorite Features

The 300 hp Northstar 8 cylinder engine. It makes happy sounds and feels good. I like the 16" chrome wheels and 235 R60-16 tires, how they handle and can hit a curb and survive. Fuel economy is decent and 25 mpg is possible.

Suggested Improvements

Materials used to hold the pieces of the car together need to be thicker, stronger, and more resistant to corrosion. Ground clearance should be raised a bit to stay off speed bumps and driveways.

1998 SLS
By TaxNBowl

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this from a proverbial "little old lady" with 60k miles. Shortly after air ride went out - a $4k fix. Installed Strutmasters passive shock system instead, $800. Maintenance is constant and interior fabrics and knobs, etc do not hold up. After constant service, at 93k miles A/C is bad, check engine light is on, rack and pinion is leaking and motor mounts are broken. That's just sad! I've had 4 Northstar Cadillacs and the motor mounts have broken on each. Too much torque in these cars for the weak mounts! I recommend against this model unless they got a lot better in 01-02. Just bought a 04 Deville with 42k miles. We'll see how this turns out/

Favorite Features

Power, nice ride, cheap to buy used so I keep doing it

Suggested Improvements

Like I said, reliability! Cadillac has had known problems in their product but has neglected to address them. Where does all that oil go in the Northstar? Can't make it 3,000 miles without adding oil!

good purchase
By pj

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for over 2yrs and couldn't ask for a better vehicle. It has all the bells & whistles and very comfortable & great reliability. a truly great ride and decent gas mileage. i would purchase another in the future

Favorite Features

seats, info station,stereo etc

Suggested Improvements

none

Beautiful Junk
By juniorbarnes

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

If only the reliability was there, it would be a great car. All of those electronics keep failing and for example, the various computer modules cost $500 and up, and they keep failing, one-by-one. If you set aside three or four thousand a year for repairs, you'll be fine. It is fun to drive but I keep thinking of what's going to break next, so I grit my teeth, just trying to make it from one point to the next without the car conking out, and it takes all the fun out of driving it.

Favorite Features

looks; stereo, front-seat room, electronic doo-dads, V8 engine.

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality by 1000%; offer a 100,000 warranty on major components & electronics.