Used 1998 Cadillac Seville SLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Cadillac Seville - Consumer Reviews

1998 Cadillac Seville Sedan

View reviews for a specific Seville model:

Most Helpful|
Time to call it quits?
By Diane

1998 Cadillac Seville Sedan SLS 4dr Sedan

Have owned 6 Cadillacs the last three nothing but trouble think a girl would learn. The last two 99 Eldorado 98 Seville both head gasket problems right after 100,000 miles. Not sure what to do this time fixed the Eldorado but was never right! Gets to be very expensive!! Time I guess to look at something different. Would think Cadillac would do something!!!

Favorite Features

Really like everything about the car except the problems!

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the Northstar motor and fix the Head gasket problem!

Do Not Buy
By Pittsburgh Boy

1998 Cadillac Seville Sedan SLS 4dr Sedan

This car is great and fun to drive. My sls has the rain sensing wipers and power steering wheel that edmunds says the sts has. but I've had it almost a year now and the problem list continues. never trust the 4.6 northstar unless it's after 05. The thing overheats due to a head gasket problem which is a common problem with the 4.6 liter and even the 4.9 liter DHOC V8. the Bose system is amazing though. the trunk lid light doesn't work (also common). Also the radio doesn't save my stations and the final problem and reason I'm selling it is that the other day i got in it, put my key in, and instantly all the windows went down by themselves (lucky it wasn't raining)

Favorite Features

auto parking brake release, BOSE stereo system, engine power and torque, keyless trunk and fuel door release, lock button for rear doors, programmable steering wheel and seat, ride quality

Suggested Improvements

better designed engine, i think they are still using it in the dts and the sts too (bad idea) those owners are going to be very angry after 80,000 miles give or take.

good purchase
By pj

1998 Cadillac Seville Sedan SLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for over 2yrs and couldn't ask for a better vehicle. It has all the bells & whistles and very comfortable & great reliability. a truly great ride and decent gas mileage. i would purchase another in the future

Favorite Features

seats, info station,stereo etc

Suggested Improvements

none

Keep the SLS alive!
By Marv

1998 Cadillac Seville Sedan SLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1998 Cadillac Seville SLS, May of this year. I have had older Cadillacs, and loved them all because of their reliability, performance and ride. I owned my last Cadillac around 1993. I was ready for another one, and I found a good one, after much searching, with some disappointments with dealers trying to sell me lemons but when I test-drove my Seville, I knew it was the one for me. I always have loved Cadillacs because they are unique in style. The Seville raised the bar for me. I never knew Cadillac made them with the style and performance similar to a sports car. When I drive it feels like a Corvette! (Ok, similar, not exactly :) ).

Favorite Features

Northstar engine, interior, display and controls, Bose sound system and 6-disc player (good job Cadillac)

Suggested Improvements

exterior body features (front end needs to be stronger, it looks a little flimsy up close.)

1998 SLS
By TaxNBowl

1998 Cadillac Seville Sedan SLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this from a proverbial "little old lady" with 60k miles. Shortly after air ride went out - a $4k fix. Installed Strutmasters passive shock system instead, $800. Maintenance is constant and interior fabrics and knobs, etc do not hold up. After constant service, at 93k miles A/C is bad, check engine light is on, rack and pinion is leaking and motor mounts are broken. That's just sad! I've had 4 Northstar Cadillacs and the motor mounts have broken on each. Too much torque in these cars for the weak mounts! I recommend against this model unless they got a lot better in 01-02. Just bought a 04 Deville with 42k miles. We'll see how this turns out/

Favorite Features

Power, nice ride, cheap to buy used so I keep doing it

Suggested Improvements

Like I said, reliability! Cadillac has had known problems in their product but has neglected to address them. Where does all that oil go in the Northstar? Can't make it 3,000 miles without adding oil!