1998 Cadillac Seville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Seville model:
Oh, what could have been...
By StephenRG on 08/01/09 13:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

There is no car I've enjoyed driving as much, fabulous engine and automatic gearbox combination, and I loved the look. And then... I started getting a coolant leak alert shortly after buying it. OK, topped up. Then a/c went out. OK, fixed. Then engine started overheating - hose to radiator had hole worn in by belt (?). OK, fixed. Then overheating again, and after a storm, electrics went out. Head gasket blown - would cost $4000+. Water had got in, pooled underneath cabin, damaged electrics. Cost+++. Rear brakes - spotted in inspection - corroded. So an 11-year old top-of-the-line well-maintained luxury car with 87,000 miles on the clock had to be written off as scrap. DO NOT BUY!

1998 Cadillac Seville STS
By Swift98 on 06/10/09 10:46 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

Best automobile I've ever owned, wouldn't want anything else, great power, very confortable, has all the options you need, great stereo system, heated front and rear seats, love everything about this car

Looks good but u should pass
By John on 02/04/09 09:12 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

Just three weeks into buying I started getting "check coolant level" I thought no biggie. I put some in but after a few weeks boom same problem again. Went online and seen Head gasket leaking was a common problem. I heard it's expensive. Still putting coolant in it. Now it says "servise suspension" tired of car. In process of selling it or trade in. Only had car for 11 months now.

Like it but a little let down
By Hamsterfan on 09/06/08 17:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

First the good things: nice engine, looks, wheels, interior. Great highway cruiser. Also, the oil-losing problem you read about online is overblown. Yes, it uses oil. I add a quart about 2000 miles after the oil change, and that seems to keep the light from coming on. It's not a big deal. Just buy a case of oil. Now the bad: All the little pieces are falling apart. The right headlight assembly fell out: $800, but instead we fixed it with clear duck tape, which looks crappy. The plastic at the bottom of the seats is breaking. The engine backfired a few times and needed a fuel pump. Too many things are made out of flimsy plastic or metal that corrodes, and with time they break.

Beautiful Junk
By juniorbarnes on 05/22/05 21:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

If only the reliability was there, it would be a great car. All of those electronics keep failing and for example, the various computer modules cost $500 and up, and they keep failing, one-by-one. If you set aside three or four thousand a year for repairs, you'll be fine. It is fun to drive but I keep thinking of what's going to break next, so I grit my teeth, just trying to make it from one point to the next without the car conking out, and it takes all the fun out of driving it.

Great Car!
By MacDaddyCaddie on 04/23/05 12:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

I have only owned sports cars, '95 Camaro Z28, '92 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, '04 MINI Cooper S. So for me to change to a luxury vehicle was a bit of a step. But this vehicle surprised me with its acceleration. I was hooked after the first drive. Comfort is great! It is hard to find a car that performs decently, and is comfortable. It doesn't handle very well, but I didn't buy it for that. I can't see myself with out a Caddilac & MINI. One for road trips, the other for beatin' up the streets!

1998 STS
By James Anderson on 02/17/05 21:45 PM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

I love the ride, power, confort, style of the car. Things I don't like: It burns a quart of oil every 1,500 miles, have had problems with the heating and air controls from time to time.

Great Caddy
By Larry on 12/08/04 22:28 PM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

My 1989 Seville STS is my first Cadillac and I don't think that it will be my last. I love it! The seats are so comfortable, the motor is very powerful, the ride is very smooth and it looks very good.

VERY HAPPY 98 STS OWNER
By GERMEEZY1 on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

I have a 98 STS it has abt 70,000 miles I have been very happy with it being my second sts. i owned a 94 sts previously. I love the performance and the handling at 1st was not up to BMW/MB/AUDI standards but I put 20" wheels on it and with 255/35/20 kumho ecsta tires it handles like a dream! I will be buying a 2005 STS when they debut. I drove an 03' with magnaride and that was a revelation! Overall I average 20 mpg which is better than my fiances 330CI and having driven a lot of cars nothing in its class rides as good on big wheels including A6 and 540i

Look Elsewhere For A Used Car
By Buzz Lightyear on 04/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

I put a lot of money into this car. When it worked, it worked well. It just didn't work well for very long or very often. Finally, 3 weeks after putting another $500 into maintenance (and telling dealer about idle problems and handling problems) the car's "Check Suspension System" warning came on and driving the car became like riding a bucking bull.