1998 Cadillac Seville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Seville model:
Time to call it quits?
By Diane on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

Have owned 6 Cadillacs the last three nothing but trouble think a girl would learn. The last two 99 Eldorado 98 Seville both head gasket problems right after 100,000 miles. Not sure what to do this time fixed the Eldorado but was never right! Gets to be very expensive!! Time I guess to look at something different. Would think Cadillac would do something!!!

Do Not Buy
By Pittsburgh Boy on 06/06/10 18:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

This car is great and fun to drive. My sls has the rain sensing wipers and power steering wheel that edmunds says the sts has. but I've had it almost a year now and the problem list continues. never trust the 4.6 northstar unless it's after 05. The thing overheats due to a head gasket problem which is a common problem with the 4.6 liter and even the 4.9 liter DHOC V8. the Bose system is amazing though. the trunk lid light doesn't work (also common). Also the radio doesn't save my stations and the final problem and reason I'm selling it is that the other day i got in it, put my key in, and instantly all the windows went down by themselves (lucky it wasn't raining)

Keep the SLS alive!
By Marv on 10/06/08 18:08 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1998 Cadillac Seville SLS, May of this year. I have had older Cadillacs, and loved them all because of their reliability, performance and ride. I owned my last Cadillac around 1993. I was ready for another one, and I found a good one, after much searching, with some disappointments with dealers trying to sell me lemons but when I test-drove my Seville, I knew it was the one for me. I always have loved Cadillacs because they are unique in style. The Seville raised the bar for me. I never knew Cadillac made them with the style and performance similar to a sports car. When I drive it feels like a Corvette! (Ok, similar, not exactly :) ).

1998 SLS
By TaxNBowl on 06/21/08 19:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this from a proverbial "little old lady" with 60k miles. Shortly after air ride went out - a $4k fix. Installed Strutmasters passive shock system instead, $800. Maintenance is constant and interior fabrics and knobs, etc do not hold up. After constant service, at 93k miles A/C is bad, check engine light is on, rack and pinion is leaking and motor mounts are broken. That's just sad! I've had 4 Northstar Cadillacs and the motor mounts have broken on each. Too much torque in these cars for the weak mounts! I recommend against this model unless they got a lot better in 01-02. Just bought a 04 Deville with 42k miles. We'll see how this turns out/

good purchase
By pj on 05/31/08 10:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for over 2yrs and couldn't ask for a better vehicle. It has all the bells & whistles and very comfortable & great reliability. a truly great ride and decent gas mileage. i would purchase another in the future

1998 SLS
By wjries1 on 05/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

The car is a real pleasure. Only concern is electronic are a hit or miss. Front bumper appears loose but dealership(s) say that is the norm.

98 Seville SLS
By Mr. Bean on 11/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

My wife and I purchased this vehicle used in 2000. We have had to replace the drivers seat heater (the whole cushion)that was warrantied. One electric window motor; warrantied. Oil changes are more than normal; the Northstar V8 holds about 9 quarts of oil. Great comfort and conveniences but an expensive vehicle overall to maintain.

JXA/SLS
By JXA on 09/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

Handles great, hugs curves excellently, great pickup power & steady smooth highway driving. Looks brand new, shines like a mirror and the inside is inpeckable. Only has 27, 800 miles. Last year's mileage was 4,200!

1 Happy Car Owner
By Maxie on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

The first car I ever drove was a Cadillac Fleetwood and what I remember most about the vehicle was the ride. It floated along the roads. After owning other foreign and domestic cars, I purchased my first Cadillac, an SLS. While the SLS does not float like the Fleetwood, it is a great ride. This car is very responsive and handles well. I've not had any problems with the vehicle using more oil than my other vehicle. Even on a long trip, the occupants were comfortable. Buying this car was a good decision.

By Nice try on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

The car is a great concept but poor implementation. Lot of rattles and problems because of build quality. Problems with brakes, A/C, suspension. No place for sunglasses, cannot see clock in daylight. Engine runs strong but drinks oil. Handling is good.