1998 Cadillac Seville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Seville model:
Time to call it quits?
By Diane on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

Have owned 6 Cadillacs the last three nothing but trouble think a girl would learn. The last two 99 Eldorado 98 Seville both head gasket problems right after 100,000 miles. Not sure what to do this time fixed the Eldorado but was never right! Gets to be very expensive!! Time I guess to look at something different. Would think Cadillac would do something!!!

Do Not Buy
By Pittsburgh Boy on 06/06/10 18:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

This car is great and fun to drive. My sls has the rain sensing wipers and power steering wheel that edmunds says the sts has. but I've had it almost a year now and the problem list continues. never trust the 4.6 northstar unless it's after 05. The thing overheats due to a head gasket problem which is a common problem with the 4.6 liter and even the 4.9 liter DHOC V8. the Bose system is amazing though. the trunk lid light doesn't work (also common). Also the radio doesn't save my stations and the final problem and reason I'm selling it is that the other day i got in it, put my key in, and instantly all the windows went down by themselves (lucky it wasn't raining)

Oh, what could have been...
By StephenRG on 08/01/09 13:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

There is no car I've enjoyed driving as much, fabulous engine and automatic gearbox combination, and I loved the look. And then... I started getting a coolant leak alert shortly after buying it. OK, topped up. Then a/c went out. OK, fixed. Then engine started overheating - hose to radiator had hole worn in by belt (?). OK, fixed. Then overheating again, and after a storm, electrics went out. Head gasket blown - would cost $4000+. Water had got in, pooled underneath cabin, damaged electrics. Cost+++. Rear brakes - spotted in inspection - corroded. So an 11-year old top-of-the-line well-maintained luxury car with 87,000 miles on the clock had to be written off as scrap. DO NOT BUY!

1998 Cadillac Seville STS
By Swift98 on 06/10/09 10:46 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

Best automobile I've ever owned, wouldn't want anything else, great power, very confortable, has all the options you need, great stereo system, heated front and rear seats, love everything about this car

Looks good but u should pass
By John on 02/04/09 09:12 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

Just three weeks into buying I started getting "check coolant level" I thought no biggie. I put some in but after a few weeks boom same problem again. Went online and seen Head gasket leaking was a common problem. I heard it's expensive. Still putting coolant in it. Now it says "servise suspension" tired of car. In process of selling it or trade in. Only had car for 11 months now.

Keep the SLS alive!
By Marv on 10/06/08 18:08 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1998 Cadillac Seville SLS, May of this year. I have had older Cadillacs, and loved them all because of their reliability, performance and ride. I owned my last Cadillac around 1993. I was ready for another one, and I found a good one, after much searching, with some disappointments with dealers trying to sell me lemons but when I test-drove my Seville, I knew it was the one for me. I always have loved Cadillacs because they are unique in style. The Seville raised the bar for me. I never knew Cadillac made them with the style and performance similar to a sports car. When I drive it feels like a Corvette! (Ok, similar, not exactly :) ).

Like it but a little let down
By Hamsterfan on 09/06/08 17:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

First the good things: nice engine, looks, wheels, interior. Great highway cruiser. Also, the oil-losing problem you read about online is overblown. Yes, it uses oil. I add a quart about 2000 miles after the oil change, and that seems to keep the light from coming on. It's not a big deal. Just buy a case of oil. Now the bad: All the little pieces are falling apart. The right headlight assembly fell out: $800, but instead we fixed it with clear duck tape, which looks crappy. The plastic at the bottom of the seats is breaking. The engine backfired a few times and needed a fuel pump. Too many things are made out of flimsy plastic or metal that corrodes, and with time they break.

1998 SLS
By TaxNBowl on 06/21/08 19:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this from a proverbial "little old lady" with 60k miles. Shortly after air ride went out - a $4k fix. Installed Strutmasters passive shock system instead, $800. Maintenance is constant and interior fabrics and knobs, etc do not hold up. After constant service, at 93k miles A/C is bad, check engine light is on, rack and pinion is leaking and motor mounts are broken. That's just sad! I've had 4 Northstar Cadillacs and the motor mounts have broken on each. Too much torque in these cars for the weak mounts! I recommend against this model unless they got a lot better in 01-02. Just bought a 04 Deville with 42k miles. We'll see how this turns out/

good purchase
By pj on 05/31/08 10:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for over 2yrs and couldn't ask for a better vehicle. It has all the bells & whistles and very comfortable & great reliability. a truly great ride and decent gas mileage. i would purchase another in the future

Beautiful Junk
By juniorbarnes on 05/22/05 21:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

If only the reliability was there, it would be a great car. All of those electronics keep failing and for example, the various computer modules cost $500 and up, and they keep failing, one-by-one. If you set aside three or four thousand a year for repairs, you'll be fine. It is fun to drive but I keep thinking of what's going to break next, so I grit my teeth, just trying to make it from one point to the next without the car conking out, and it takes all the fun out of driving it.