1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Seville model:
1997 Cadillac Seville STS (96,000 miles)
By vb4000 on 03/08/12 19:13 PM (PST)

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

If you're going to buy this car used, you're about to get a lot of car for very little money. I purchased mine for $4000 two years ago and it is my daily driver. The car rides amazingly well and looks fantastic. After detailing it, people ask what it is and compliment it at the gas station, etc., all the time. The car looks and sounds fantastic and the engine throws you back in your seat if you put your foot in it. The car was built very well (excluding using head-bolts instead of studs, see "Improvements") and looks 50,000 miles younger than it's age. The design does not look like its from the 90's and the interior is equally impressive; very comfortable.

The Fun Ride
By stanley mckenzie on 08/19/09 23:00 PM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

This is a great touring car and very comfortable in traffic. The Northstar engine is remarkable. My mileage is 18.5 in town and 22 MPG on the open road.When I need power and it feels like my lips are being stretched by G force. It is a great performer

Great highway commuter car
By Karl on 07/06/09 11:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

I just got this car from Ebay a month ago with almost 170K miles. However, everything works as it should and the 300HP engine is still going strong when I paunch it to the floor. Used primarily as commute car to out-of-state job and have found it can do 28-29MPG on highway. For a 4600CC engine and 4000lb car, this is incredible. So far I've put on 2000 miles and there is no issue at all. I have never thought a cheap 2nd-hand car can be this much fun and economical.

Some things to learn from Olds...
By R. Gotfried on 10/31/08 21:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

Bought my STS 2 yrs ago, with 50,000 mi. in great shape. The STS has great styling. People ask me what it is and what year, as it still looks sharp. I've had problems with oil burn since I got it & have to top it up several times between oil changes. A few of my beefs relate to the stupidity of GM not sharing some good features between similar vehicles. My last car was a fully dressed 1997 (same year) Olds LSS..I called it a baby Caddy, as the interiors were almost identical! The superior features: 1) Double folding sun visors for side/front coverage; 2) Reading lights in centre iso above window; 3) Hole in rear arm rest to allow for skis/longer items to pass thru Learn from Olds!

Fun to drive difficult to maintain
By Darrell on 09/30/08 18:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

I drove a Cadillac a few times when I was in my teens and wanted a Cadillac ever since, then last year I brought a 1997 STS. I love the car, it's a hoot to drive very powerful and comfortable to drive. It's in great looking condition but my disappointment comes in with the reliability.The one time I had it any distance away from home my wife and I was on a bus. trip and after coming out from the hotel when we checked in the alternator quit this was after I had replaced the starter but before the headlight control module gave out. last week we went to an anniversary dinner with our children and when we arrived at the restaurant the security problem code came up and two days later it refused to start. It's at the garage now with a fuel pump problem that the tech found while trying to fix that security code problem. I am sure when I get it back something else will go on it. I love the car and love to drive it's a real beauty.

Great car
By bfdf101 on 04/26/07 13:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

I have been very happy with my Cadillac. It has 120,000 miles on it now and I had to replace the a/c pump. Car runs good on open road. Love the sound system. Handles very good. 24.7 on the road at today's highway speeds.

This is the Best GM Can Do?
By John on 11/13/06 17:39 PM (PST)

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

This is the worst car I have ever owned. I took impeccable care of it, yet the engine head gaskets failed starting at 70,000 miles. They would have cost almost $5,000 to fix. I decided to sell the car to mechanic who ended up replacing the engine. At 40,000 to 70,000 miles I had to replace both rear window motors, water pump, radiator, alternator, the dealer had to pull engine to fix oil leaks, two struts failed, and a host of other problems. Some repairs were covered under warranty, no wonder GM can't make a profit on it's cars. Many others are have the same problems. This is GM's flagship vehicle? No wonder people are switching to the Asians. My Infiniti has not had any problems in 70,000 miles.

Excellent Luxury Preformance Value
By Bill on 11/09/06 09:07 AM (PST)

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

The Cadillac Seville is a poor man's 7-Series BMW. Why pay more?

2.5 Quarts of Oil Every 1,500 Miles
By edwin hall on 04/12/06 17:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

I love my car, except it has burned oil ever since I got it. Also, the headlights only work when they want to. Everything else works, light-wise. The air conditioner does not work. The front grill underneath the hood is falling down. I don't like how I have to use premium gas either. I get 18-19 miles per gallon. This car has a great stereo.

Too bad it's FWD
By Silvester on 02/26/06 02:44 AM (PST)

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Cadillac Seville provides fantastic value for the money, especially as a used vehicle. I bought mine in 2002 for $8,000 with 101,000 miles on it and traded it in yesterday for a '97 Infiniti Q45. I traded the car for an Infiniti because I wanted a rear wheel drive car again as I dislike FWD but I could not afford the newer RWD STS that came our in '04. My car needed a few repairs over last two years, nothing out of the ordinary for a luxury car of its type. The Northstar V8 started leaking a lot of oil at 140,000 miles but it's not a reliability issue so I just added a quart every week, $3 a week is no big deal. Advice: If you need to get the struts/air ride replaced go with Arnott. They're a great aftermarket company and the cost for parts is $700 versus $2,000 through GM.