Used 1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Cadillac Seville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Seville model:

1997 Cadillac Seville STS (96,000 miles)
By vb4000

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

If you're going to buy this car used, you're about to get a lot of car for very little money. I purchased mine for $4000 two years ago and it is my daily driver. The car rides amazingly well and looks fantastic. After detailing it, people ask what it is and compliment it at the gas station, etc., all the time. The car looks and sounds fantastic and the engine throws you back in your seat if you put your foot in it. The car was built very well (excluding using head-bolts instead of studs, see "Improvements") and looks 50,000 miles younger than it's age. The design does not look like its from the 90's and the interior is equally impressive; very comfortable.

Favorite Features

The car gets rid of the old "grandpa's Cadillac" notion that accompanies a Caddy. The Northstar engine is an engineering marvel except for it's one real downfall. If your okay with taking a gamble, this is an unbelievable car for the money. Driving this as my first car, people assume I'm rich or my dad is in the mafia and bought it for me. I STILL know people who to this day don't believe what I paid for it. But you must understand that the fun this car can provide can end very quickly if you wind up with a lemon. Do your research well. I wouldn't buy from a used car dealership unless there was no other option.

Suggested Improvements

The head gaskets on my car did indeed fail just recently (Winter 2011/2012). I am good with cars so pulled the motor and did the repair myself. If you aren't car-savvy and plan on spending just the ticket price and no maintenance, don't buy this car. Get a Honda or something reliable. Although this vehicle is strong and fast and very good looking, reliable it is not. Once the head gasket repair is complete, the car is bullet-proof, but if not you may very well be buying a money pit. If you're good with engines or very lucky, you'll make out like a bandit. If not, you'll end up like some of the other reviewers who come on here to bash this car. You can't LIKE the STS. You have to LOVE it.

Cadillac is the way to go
By Mrkayster

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan SLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 97 Cadillac SLS used in '02 with 90k miles on it. It is now 2010 and has 160,000 miles and not 1 major repair has been needed. The only thing that was done was I've changed the shift solenoids in the trans twice at $500 per pop. That was the only problem I have had. I love this car and the reliability that she has given me.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage 27.1 highway miles Love the style

Suggested Improvements

Larger side mirrors

The Fun Ride
By stanley mckenzie

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

This is a great touring car and very comfortable in traffic. The Northstar engine is remarkable. My mileage is 18.5 in town and 22 MPG on the open road.When I need power and it feels like my lips are being stretched by G force. It is a great performer

Favorite Features

G force speed when needed. I enjoy the classy luxurious feeling when I drive it. It is dependable and has had no unusual mechanical failures in 110,000.

Suggested Improvements

I have an elderly mother that has a challenge getting out of the deep set back seat.

Great highway commuter car
By Karl

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

I just got this car from Ebay a month ago with almost 170K miles. However, everything works as it should and the 300HP engine is still going strong when I paunch it to the floor. Used primarily as commute car to out-of-state job and have found it can do 28-29MPG on highway. For a 4600CC engine and 4000lb car, this is incredible. So far I've put on 2000 miles and there is no issue at all. I have never thought a cheap 2nd-hand car can be this much fun and economical.

Favorite Features

Very comfy and heated chairs, nice audio system and great fun watching rainsense working. And of course the all powerful Northstar engine.

Suggested Improvements

Can't ask for anything more with the money I paid.

Some things to learn from Olds...
By R. Gotfried

1997 Cadillac Seville Sedan STS 4dr Sedan

Bought my STS 2 yrs ago, with 50,000 mi. in great shape. The STS has great styling. People ask me what it is and what year, as it still looks sharp. I've had problems with oil burn since I got it & have to top it up several times between oil changes. A few of my beefs relate to the stupidity of GM not sharing some good features between similar vehicles. My last car was a fully dressed 1997 (same year) Olds LSS..I called it a baby Caddy, as the interiors were almost identical! The superior features: 1) Double folding sun visors for side/front coverage; 2) Reading lights in centre iso above window; 3) Hole in rear arm rest to allow for skis/longer items to pass thru Learn from Olds!

Favorite Features

Styling; power; size.

Suggested Improvements

I just cannot fathom why a fully dressed Olds would have better features than a Caddy! Caddy, get your head out of the sand and pay attention! These little items noted above are just aggravating and against the idea that Caddy would be the creme de la creme of the GM line.