1996 Cadillac Seville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Seville model:
Rebuilding a 1996 Cadillac Seville SLS
By GoldenRod on 07/26/05 16:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 65k miles on it. 3k miles later the engine needs to be replaced at 69k miles at a cost of $3,000. I also had to fix two window motors $600, ignition switch $400, alternator $600, and fuel line split (covererd under recall). Things that broke that I refuse to fix: transmission currently at 100k for $4,000 and air conditioner for $1,500 plus another dead window motor for $300. The new motor has roughly 35k on it and burns oil. I will NEVER buy a Cadillac again, and I honestly question the entire GM line up for quality. This car has been nothing but a constant stream of dealer drop offs.

Never Again!!
By MoveOn on 05/01/05 01:23 AM (PDT)

1996 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

I have always loved Cadillacs...until I bought one. This car has been an electrical nightmare! Bought a very clean low mileage Seville STS...I have the ABS, Traction Control, and Check Engine lights on. It needs oil every 1,000 miles, new struts,new bushings, a new oxygen sensor, ABS module...ehh I could go on but you get the idea. Oh and the car only has 58k miles. Toyota here I come!

Great car
By WENCES LOPEZ on 03/06/05 16:08 PM (PST)

1996 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

This car has everything that most of people look in a car. (style, name, great sound system,and performance.)

Used 1996 Cadillac Seville STS
By rob42240 on 02/09/05 18:40 PM (PST)

1996 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Cadillac Seville STS in 2001 and it had approximately 37,000 miles on it. I also purchased an extended warranty for it for $1,800, which at the time I thought was a little expensive. It actually ended up paying for itself. All of the problems with this car were fairly minor, but they seemed to add up. A water pump went bad and was replaced. One of the power window motors had to be replaced. I had all of the hoses and belts changed out, new brakes put on and I replaced the blower motor for the air conditioning (I wouldn't do it again myself - take my word for it, you don't want to do it). Oh, the compressor for the air conditioner went out and was replaced under the insurance. I have 107,000 miles on the car and I haven't had any problem lately.

Good riding car, great performance
By Carol on 01/20/05 16:07 PM (PST)

1996 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

I was dragged kicking and screaming to purchase a cadillac by my spouse. Our 1996 Cadillac Seville has been a wonderful car with few problems. The AC leaked and we had to replace the compressor while it was under warranty. Also, we recently had to replace the switch on the trunk closing mechanism and get new brake rotors. At 122,000 miles, that is an excellent record. I do have to add oil about every three times that I fill up with gas though. We purchased our Seville as a three year old car with 26,000 miles. It is an excellent car.

Nice, Sporty Family Luxury Vehicle
By Darlene on 01/01/05 16:00 PM (PST)

1996 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Cadillac Seville is fast. It is a pleasure to drive. The front spoiler is low to the ground and when driving one has to take care in turning in to high curb driveways. This car had a recall for a fuel line problem which Cadillac promptly took care of in 2004. This is the only non-maintanence issue or repair that I experienced besides a starter I had to replace. The car is equipped with remote start, which I use often accounting for the extra ware on the starter (or so I was told). Otherwise this is the sharpest sedan I would ever care to drive. It is an unassumingly, beatiful car in pearl white. I love it.

1996 Cadillac Seville
By Americanluxo-sport on 12/17/04 23:24 PM (PST)

1996 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

My gold 1996 Seville STS has been regularly serviced at the dealership from day one in 1996. This Cadillac's transmission was replaced at 99,000 miles and the repair cost was almost $4,000. Make sure you get a transmission check before buying this car because repairs of any major mechanical flaw will cost you some serious money.

Beautiful Car, But.........
By Jim on 12/17/04 01:02 AM (PST)

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Cadillac SeVille from its original owner with 76,000 miles. I've driven it during the winter in Arizona. I started getting a "service transmission" on the message center, so I serviced the transmission by having the fluid and filter changed. The message continued, so I brought the car into a service facility, the code told the tech that it was a turbine speed input sensor, the part is under $100 but it's the last part to come out of the transmission so we're looking at 15 hours of labor. I was told by three national transmission repair chains that it is a common problem and a "design flaw". I got the word today that it's a $3,050 job. Cadillac basically told me that I'm on my own. BE CAREFULL!

Civilized HotRod
By Ash on 12/05/04 00:05 AM (PST)

1996 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

What more can I say? You have to drive this car in order to appreciate its comfort, performance, and the service at your caddy dealership. The motor runs strongand feels new. I have hit close to 120 mph and there was no vibration of any kind. Watch out for repairs! A new tranny can run close to $4 K at the dealership. Mine was replaced at 99K by the dealership so I dodged that bullet. If looking to buy, make sure the tranny has been serviced regularly, or its big bucks out of your pocket. Other than that I prefer my cadillac over the Euro Luxo group.

Nice but move on...
By stsnotagain on 10/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

I always liked Cadillacs since I use to work for the dealership. I finally got a used STS in so to be great shape. Gorgous car with all the luxury and rides great. But beware of all the little things that WILL go wrong and will be expensive to repair. I bought mine one day and the next day the water pump gave out. $250 later from the Caddy dealer I had it back. After owning for about 3 weeks now and only 250 miles...half block seal needs replacing at $1900! Rack and pinion,struts,power window switch,still leaks antifreez and check engine light is now on for emissions. I would just look and avoid this car. These are known problems and thats coming from a ASE Master Tech from a Cad dealer!!!