1996 Cadillac Seville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Seville model:
My Caddie, my comfort.
By Milano on 08/25/08 11:32 AM (PDT)

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

Bought the car from dealer with 40,000 miles on it. Dealer has free 90 days warranty. Brought it back week before warranty expired, and dealer fix the problem of leaking oil. Also dealer did all recalls. Some minor electrical glitches which I was able to fix with the help of code reader, and parts from local junk yard. Today the car has 105,000 miles with just oil and gas. Driving often to Vegas 800 Miles one way. It is blast to go over mountains or Utah plains, super AC, plenty of power, Bose music system with CD exchanger is mobile concert hall. In town 19 mpg, out of town 28 mpg. I will go with Seville again even they do not make them anymore.

A nice car
By I LOVE MINE on 08/10/08 07:25 AM (PDT)

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I've always wanted a caddy but never could afford a new one. So I found this one on Craigs list and fell in love with it. The power is amazing and all the features work well, with the exception of hesitation of the drivers side power window. Maybe I'm a lucky one but this car uses no oil between changes. It has aproximately 129,000 on it at this time. I'm glad they depreciate as they do, otherwise, i would not be able to own a car this nice.

Easy Rider
By Jezk on 06/03/08 14:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle brand new and have used it for just short of twelve years. The car rides and performs well, but is expensive to service and maintain. I estimate that to own and operate this car (less gas and tires) over 137 months was $68,500 or roughly $500 per month. All service work was performed by the dealer and the car still performs well with the exception of check transmission and check engine lights which occasionally come on and then go off. From the Edmunds Web site I learned that the fault is a defective "turbine speed input sensor" a $100 part that takes 15 hours of labor to replace at a cost of $3050 or $4000 for a rebuilt transmission.

Rebuilding a 1996 Cadillac Seville SLS
By GoldenRod on 07/26/05 16:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 65k miles on it. 3k miles later the engine needs to be replaced at 69k miles at a cost of $3,000. I also had to fix two window motors $600, ignition switch $400, alternator $600, and fuel line split (covererd under recall). Things that broke that I refuse to fix: transmission currently at 100k for $4,000 and air conditioner for $1,500 plus another dead window motor for $300. The new motor has roughly 35k on it and burns oil. I will NEVER buy a Cadillac again, and I honestly question the entire GM line up for quality. This car has been nothing but a constant stream of dealer drop offs.

Beautiful Car, But.........
By Jim on 12/17/04 01:02 AM (PST)

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Cadillac SeVille from its original owner with 76,000 miles. I've driven it during the winter in Arizona. I started getting a "service transmission" on the message center, so I serviced the transmission by having the fluid and filter changed. The message continued, so I brought the car into a service facility, the code told the tech that it was a turbine speed input sensor, the part is under $100 but it's the last part to come out of the transmission so we're looking at 15 hours of labor. I was told by three national transmission repair chains that it is a common problem and a "design flaw". I got the word today that it's a $3,050 job. Cadillac basically told me that I'm on my own. BE CAREFULL!

Love the Northstar, hate the gremlins
By Robert King on 02/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used in 1999. Have taken trips to California, Colorado and New York. I have enjoyed the car's engine performance and comfortable ride. I have always been impressed that a car that weighs this much can average over 29 mpg at high speed. I have however made many costly trips to the dealer for repair; water pump rear suspension air compressor, heater/AC blower motor, O2 sensor, the last and most irritating was in my garage when the security system failed. No cure other than towing to dealer for $400.00 worth of Ignition switch, keys and harness wiring. I love this car but will not be owning another Cadillac.

Never again
By teleman on 09/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I have never owned a vehicle that gave me as much irrating trouble as this one. What kind of trouble you ask? How about the oil consumption, 3-4 quarts between oil changeS. You would think they would recal the things for the fix. Instead, they want us to pay for it. Then there is the notorius oil leak. Then there are the ever present sensor problems and the Cadillac electric window problems. My brother just bought a CTS. After only 10K miles, had to have a new rack put on it. Then the elec problems started. What a joke! I would NEVER OWN ANOTHER CADILLAC! Cadillac sucks as far as a quality automobile...IMHO

seville
By TWF on 07/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

its fun to drive and has pleanty of pickup. The heated seats are just great after a round of golf and a sore back.

$$$$$$$$$
By J.D.Loud on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I have loved this car for the last 4 years!! and then the extended warranty ran out!! Just got it back after a transmission overhaul at 64,000 miles. My last two Cadillacs had far more miles and no problems. Mechanic told me the North Star has oil leaking problems, as does mine. Think it's time to switch.

Nickel and Dime
By Wammie on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

This car can nickel and dime you to death. In 2 years of owning this car I have had problems with... Suspension, Transmission, Driver Seat Conroll Module, Passenger Door Lock, Trunk Pull Down (Worst car feature ever), Starter, Electric windows.