Used 1996 Cadillac Seville SLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Cadillac Seville - Consumer Reviews

1996 Cadillac Seville

View reviews for a specific Seville model:

My Caddie, my comfort.
By Milano

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

Bought the car from dealer with 40,000 miles on it. Dealer has free 90 days warranty. Brought it back week before warranty expired, and dealer fix the problem of leaking oil. Also dealer did all recalls. Some minor electrical glitches which I was able to fix with the help of code reader, and parts from local junk yard. Today the car has 105,000 miles with just oil and gas. Driving often to Vegas 800 Miles one way. It is blast to go over mountains or Utah plains, super AC, plenty of power, Bose music system with CD exchanger is mobile concert hall. In town 19 mpg, out of town 28 mpg. I will go with Seville again even they do not make them anymore.

Favorite Features

Engine NORTHSTAR, Bose music system

Suggested Improvements

Electrical system seems to be too complicated. Mechanics often do not understand how to fix it, and charge the labor and parts anyway. If you have electronics and computer skill, there is no problem to fix the small glitches.

A nice car
By I LOVE MINE

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I've always wanted a caddy but never could afford a new one. So I found this one on Craigs list and fell in love with it. The power is amazing and all the features work well, with the exception of hesitation of the drivers side power window. Maybe I'm a lucky one but this car uses no oil between changes. It has aproximately 129,000 on it at this time. I'm glad they depreciate as they do, otherwise, i would not be able to own a car this nice.

Favorite Features

The quietness and smooth ride at cruising speed, the Bose sound system and the fact this care will tell you more about itself than you can tell your doctor about yourself--door open, turn signal left on, percent of oil life left until change, and on and on.

Suggested Improvements

door closure armrests are very flimsy and will tear the vinyl. Air conditioner very noisy on high and on recirculate.

Easy Rider
By Jezk

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle brand new and have used it for just short of twelve years. The car rides and performs well, but is expensive to service and maintain. I estimate that to own and operate this car (less gas and tires) over 137 months was $68,500 or roughly $500 per month. All service work was performed by the dealer and the car still performs well with the exception of check transmission and check engine lights which occasionally come on and then go off. From the Edmunds Web site I learned that the fault is a defective "turbine speed input sensor" a $100 part that takes 15 hours of labor to replace at a cost of $3050 or $4000 for a rebuilt transmission.

Favorite Features

Handling, pickup, ride, and overall appearance. To maintain that look would require the driver's seat to be replaced with a new seat from Cadillac at a parts cost of $760 plus installation. Finally a new simulated convertible top at a cost of $900, and all is back to normal.

Suggested Improvements

Build a new car with body lines of the 1996 Seville, but enhance the quality of production and the reliability of the vehicle. Unfortunately Cadillac designs their new cars based on either a "star wars" concepts or as oversized behemoths to epitomize size and power.

Rebuilding a 1996 Cadillac Seville SLS
By GoldenRod

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 65k miles on it. 3k miles later the engine needs to be replaced at 69k miles at a cost of $3,000. I also had to fix two window motors $600, ignition switch $400, alternator $600, and fuel line split (covererd under recall). Things that broke that I refuse to fix: transmission currently at 100k for $4,000 and air conditioner for $1,500 plus another dead window motor for $300. The new motor has roughly 35k on it and burns oil. I will NEVER buy a Cadillac again, and I honestly question the entire GM line up for quality. This car has been nothing but a constant stream of dealer drop offs.

Suggested Improvements

When there are this many people complaining about the same things then the entire design of the car is to be questioned. Placing the Cadillac marquee on this pig and charging $50,000 for it is just plain robbery. I hope people read these comments and stay away from Cadillac.

Beautiful Car, But.........
By Jim

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Cadillac SeVille from its original owner with 76,000 miles. I've driven it during the winter in Arizona. I started getting a "service transmission" on the message center, so I serviced the transmission by having the fluid and filter changed. The message continued, so I brought the car into a service facility, the code told the tech that it was a turbine speed input sensor, the part is under $100 but it's the last part to come out of the transmission so we're looking at 15 hours of labor. I was told by three national transmission repair chains that it is a common problem and a "design flaw". I got the word today that it's a $3,050 job. Cadillac basically told me that I'm on my own. BE CAREFULL!

Favorite Features

Beautiful paint detail, great interior comfort, very nice ride and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Cadillac doesn't want to help on problems with their transmission design.