Used 1996 Cadillac Seville Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Cadillac Seville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Seville model:

Love looks-many problems
By Cheryl

1996 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

Purchased with 9000 miles.Bought extended warranty to 86,000 miles (lucky for me.Had engine replaced 40,000 miles-5 truck latches-4 sets of brakes-alarm-6 oxygen sensors-water pump-fuel inject-steering column smoked-heater core-air condition does not work-brakes wear uneven-brake light switch-blinker light switch. Told all problems are common for this car. Maybe we would think about improving.Also ABS and engine light always on now-whats up with that? I love the style and comfort. What a nightmare of a car.I now need to new headlight assemblies that are about $700.00 from Cadillac.I have 179,000 miles on it at this time.Oil use is still more than normal. Mileage 19-20 in town,24-28 on highway.

I love the comfort and ease of driving.The style of the car is awesome.Traveling is real enjoyable in this car.I have rented alot of cars while on trips and still love to come back home to my STS.

Do you really want to hear. Oil consumption.

My Caddie, my comfort.
By Milano

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

Bought the car from dealer with 40,000 miles on it. Dealer has free 90 days warranty. Brought it back week before warranty expired, and dealer fix the problem of leaking oil. Also dealer did all recalls. Some minor electrical glitches which I was able to fix with the help of code reader, and parts from local junk yard. Today the car has 105,000 miles with just oil and gas. Driving often to Vegas 800 Miles one way. It is blast to go over mountains or Utah plains, super AC, plenty of power, Bose music system with CD exchanger is mobile concert hall. In town 19 mpg, out of town 28 mpg. I will go with Seville again even they do not make them anymore.

Engine NORTHSTAR, Bose music system

Electrical system seems to be too complicated. Mechanics often do not understand how to fix it, and charge the labor and parts anyway. If you have electronics and computer skill, there is no problem to fix the small glitches.

A nice car
By I LOVE MINE

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I've always wanted a caddy but never could afford a new one. So I found this one on Craigs list and fell in love with it. The power is amazing and all the features work well, with the exception of hesitation of the drivers side power window. Maybe I'm a lucky one but this car uses no oil between changes. It has aproximately 129,000 on it at this time. I'm glad they depreciate as they do, otherwise, i would not be able to own a car this nice.

The quietness and smooth ride at cruising speed, the Bose sound system and the fact this care will tell you more about itself than you can tell your doctor about yourself--door open, turn signal left on, percent of oil life left until change, and on and on.

door closure armrests are very flimsy and will tear the vinyl. Air conditioner very noisy on high and on recirculate.

Easy Rider
By Jezk

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle brand new and have used it for just short of twelve years. The car rides and performs well, but is expensive to service and maintain. I estimate that to own and operate this car (less gas and tires) over 137 months was $68,500 or roughly $500 per month. All service work was performed by the dealer and the car still performs well with the exception of check transmission and check engine lights which occasionally come on and then go off. From the Edmunds Web site I learned that the fault is a defective "turbine speed input sensor" a $100 part that takes 15 hours of labor to replace at a cost of $3050 or $4000 for a rebuilt transmission.

Handling, pickup, ride, and overall appearance. To maintain that look would require the driver's seat to be replaced with a new seat from Cadillac at a parts cost of $760 plus installation. Finally a new simulated convertible top at a cost of $900, and all is back to normal.

Build a new car with body lines of the 1996 Seville, but enhance the quality of production and the reliability of the vehicle. Unfortunately Cadillac designs their new cars based on either a "star wars" concepts or as oversized behemoths to epitomize size and power.

Great car!
By stsgirl96

1996 Cadillac Seville STS 4dr Sedan

I have a 96 STS pear white. I bought it used with 160,000 miles. I am its 4th owner. I have owned alot of cars and I have to say by far that this one is the best. Yes, maintenance on these are quite expensive, but so are lexus and bmw maintenance. I think this is a great quality car. I have had alot of the same problems as others but I still love this car! Its a personal preferance. Either you love it or you hate it. I love it!

Love the sleek body design and the roar of the northstar when you put your foot into it. Love the Bose! I like how comfortable the seats are.