Used 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )

WARNING: Object in Mirror is Faster than it Appears
By swiftv4p

1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan 4dr Sedan

I am a "Car Guy"/long time 1/4 mile drag racer so hopefully this review won't be too technical for the average reader. After months of searching I located and purchased my '95 FWB with less than 70K miles from its 93 year-old original owner who resides in So Cal. My search was specific, as I know how to read GM option stickers (located under the trunk lid) and interpret RPO option codes. In this case I was looking for Option Code V4P, which this car had and I will discuss in the next section. The car is roomy, comfortable, and an attention-getter. I had owned the car just two hours, and I received multiple compliments. Having owned LT1 cars in the past I know they are dead reliable.

IF you are considering this car and IF you are willing to sacrifice a little fuel mileage, I would recommend you search high and low for a FW Brougham equipped with the V4P Trailer Towing Package. The reason? Rarity, and performance. Less than 3% of the LT-1 FWs made from 1994-1996 received this option package, which brings with it unique transmission tuning, much stiffer suspension, and a 3.42 rear gear vs. the Impala SS's 3.08. Result: a 4500 lb. sleeper that will break (not just chirp) the tires loose on the 1-2 shift at WOT with the Traction Control turned off, does the 60-80 MPH passing scenario with breathtaking authority, yet still garners 23 MPG on the highway. This car is SWIFT!

The horse has already left the barn since the rear-drive Fleetwoods aren't made any more, but the climate control unit from the 1996 Buick Roadmaster is a nice upgrade that will allow you to direct airflow to the center dash vents while in heater mode, whereas the OEM electronic climate control system on the Fleetwood does not...seriously. Secondly, if you find one of these cars the front shocks will likely be gone; be sure to put the biggest, baddest front shocks you can find on it; I prefer Monroe P/N 58263 that has an added external spring. Also, a set of polyurethane bushings on the front sway bar will help the car to corner flatter.

Yes, Virginia, size matters.
By Its Me

1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan 4dr Sedan

Sitting down in my Brougham evokes the same feeling I get when landing in the States from an overseas trip - I'm home! Big, comfortable, reliable, and fast, it's the pinnacle of rear-wheel drive, four-door sedans, and is everything an American car should be. Some of my friends chuckle--until they ride in it, and then their reaction is one of amazement and longing for days gone by. When I nail the gas pedal, their eyes pop open. Other than normal maintenance and wear items (shocks, hoses, that kind of stuff), I've had no significant problems. The car runs like a champ and has excellent fit-and-finish. Uncomplicated controls, all the useful gadgets you'd want. Love it.

Size, space, power, comfort. A joy on the highway and faster in the curves than you'd think. The LT-1 engine is a joy of a V-8.

Wish it had a telescoping steering column like my older Caddies did, but I guess airbag concerns did away with that feature.

repairs
By Suz

1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan 4dr Sedan

I am a lady that loves her 1995 Fleetwood dream car. I've had my car since 1997. I have always taken the best of care for it. As far as the engine goes, I have had to replace the water pump about 3 times, the radiator 1 time, but I do have a lot of good miles on the car. The gear shift needle broke so it shows the needle in park at all times and my mechanic seems to be having a hard time replacing the part. The rear side chrome strips have bubbled, one even peeled, need to be replaced. I love the car so much that I may consider getting a new engine for it one day as opposed to a new Cadillac, they have no class anymore.

Favorite feature is the size and comfort all around.

More metal, less plastic.

eas
By tenmark262

1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan 4dr Sedan

I LOVE this car. Had one other and an Impala SS and Buick Roadmaster Wagon (same b-body platform). Detuned LT1 (0-60 in 8.5 secs) is easy on gas (18/20 city and 22/24 highway)and very reliable. Truthfully, the car will fall apart around the engine and transmission. Some designed-in ergonomic/interior fascia flaws but with bone yards ripe with these cars you've got plenty of cheap replacement parts at the ready. If you're looking for a reliable floaty boaty car, this it it. Tomorrow's collector car, for sure. But then again, how popular are 55 Cadillacs today?

Style - it's embarrassingly large and fun to drive. Super reliable. And not bad on gas (considering the size and V8 engine. Over-engineered V4P (tow package cars) have oil coolers, transmission coolers, larger radiator, and direct drive cooling fans making one super durable Caddy!

Poorly designed seat controls tear into the leather/vinyl. B-pillar headliner material wears off easily. Long car average length interior - would like to have seen more legroom for front and rear wheel passengers. The length is all in the hood and trunk. Detuned LT1. Sharp door edges.

Good hwy mpg & comfort
By S Tucker

1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan 4dr Sedan

A very impressive looking car. Very comfortable, quite, powerful. Mpg in town not so good, hwy very good for the size car, 55-60 mph, I average 30 mpg. So for a long trip, with all of that room & comfort it is a pleasure. Not to mention that we feel very safe in it.

The looks & comfort are unsurpassed by any other car.

My wifes Towncar has better trunk space and keyless entry on the outside of the door, that is my favorite feature on that car. To bad the Cadillac Fleetwood does't have that. The Fleetwood also has a plain looking dash.