Love my 'new-to-me' boat...
By delerium75 on
1992 Cadillac Fleetwood 4dr Sedan
This has been a good car so far...bought it with 108K in 08-2013, now at 117K and climbing. Minimal fixes so far for a 22 year old car...transmission cooler lines, tie rod end, ball joint and an EGR valve on top of full tune up and fluid changes when I got it. The car had been maintained well prior to me buying it and it shows. She floats down the worst of Michigan roads and has enough space for everyone. Trunk is large and wide (fit a lawn mower AND weed trimmer with it closed). Seats are very comfortable for long drives and the 4.9L has plenty of power for passing on two-lane roads. I average about 17-19mpg in mixed driving, 20-23 on the highway (70mph+) and premium is required.
Favorite Features
Real walnut trim with the Fleetwood, memory diver seat, working keyless entry, rear seat vanity mirrors in the roof still "Wow!" folks, dash and door panels are padded and not hard plastic and overall smooth power. Delco/Bose Gold stereo sounds great but has needed 2 amps rebuilt. Decent cup holder for an old car--two-spot holder folds out of the front armrest. But mostly, it's the presence on the road. It's a big box of a car with a Cadillac hood ornament guiding the way--defiantly wafting about its business even after 22 years. It's every bit the boat I wanted.
Suggested Improvements
More gauges would be great, especially a coolant temp gauge. Door pockets would be nice but the armrest does flip open for additional storage. It's not the best handling car I've owned...it leans a bit but you don't buy a Fleetwood for the handling. Gas mileage isn't great but still not bad for a 3600lb brick. The steering wheel is a bit too close for my taste even with the seat all the way back and no steering wheel controls for the stereo.