Used 1999 Cadillac Escalade Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Cadillac Escalade - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.7L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (16 reviews )

Lots of problems from the get go
By Yvonne

1999 Cadillac Escalade 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this vehicle in 1999 in Colorado a few months later moved to California on my road trip to California noticed a hesitation in the vehicle took it into the Dealership under warranty couldn't find the problem. The Brakes went out on me, one thing after another I have had it 11 years finally at 10 years I was told that hesitation was the Transmission so I got that replaced. I think I have almost everything replaced even the carpet in the back because the back air was leaking. Just today I replaced the Computer because nothing was running right and it kept showing problem after problem. I could go on GM was not too helpful at all and kept insisting it was nothing. No Warranty $$ then help

Not too many

That GM pay more attention when customers need help and not blow them off when warranty expires when they promise to fix the problem.

One Great Vehicle
By adam12

1999 Cadillac Escalade 4dr SUV AWD

This has been one great vehicle. I bought my Escalade when it had only 6000 miles on it. It now has almost 120,000 miles on it and I have not had a single maintenance issue with it. I always get the regular routine maintenance done and as a result this vehicle is still like brand new both inside and out. I get it detailed every six months and people often mistake it for a brand new Escalade. I am going to drive it for another 10 years. I am sure it will last that long.

Very very comfortable.

There must have been a design flaw for the cup holders that fold down on the floor for the rear passengers. I have had this cup holder mechanism replaced several times and it keeps breaking. I decided to leave it broken because the warranty expired on it.

Too Good to Give Up
By SedaliaSue

1999 Cadillac Escalade 4dr SUV AWD

After owning many a car including over 24 other classic autos, I've never been as happy with the comfort of this SUV. It had a few flaws in it that I've had to deal with...the CD player not working, turning the brake drums for a smooth ride, attaching the battery cables better on a side battery and a rattle that was found as a broken plastic piece in the cowl area. Small stuff for a great ride, of course, these days I wish it would have better mileage, but with it's weight and its performance it was a quality product.

Comfortable long distance driving and held the road in downpours and snow.

I would suggest the seat adjustments and temp should be built into the center column. It is hard to reach the passengers seat heat from the drivers side. Do something to lock in those battery cables. They loosen up on a washboard road. Get rid of more unnecessary weight for better mileage.

Overall Great Truck
By caddyman

1999 Cadillac Escalade 4dr SUV AWD

The '99 Cadillac Escalade is a great truck. This is my second vehicle so it has way more than I was used to. But after you get used to it you can't drive in anything else. You get looks in it like no other vehicle, probably because I'm 19 years old, but thats besides the point. If I could give one bit of advice, put a chrome grille on it, that makes it look 5 years newer. I like the 5.7 Vortec engine a lot. Its acceleration is great considering the weight of the vehicle. Its 4 wheel drive is also very capable, I have tried it in sand and accelerated like I was on dry road. The Bose radio also impressed me with its volume as well as sound quality. I just added subs to give it a little extra kick. Overall I would recomend this truck.

I love how everything is leather... its seating is top of the line, the powerful engine, and how it is fairly quiet inside. Its looks are also great plus it has tons of gadgets that are fun to use. My favorite is probably the wood grain, it feels awesome on the wheel.

It needs easier entry/exit, digital trip/miles to empty, better fuel economy, a chrome grille, larger wheels/tires, a larger rear seat, back windows that go down farther, a sunroof, and 3rd row seating.

My First SUV and My Wife won't share
By jsheesley

1999 Cadillac Escalade 4dr SUV AWD

I am the second owner of my 1999 Cadillac Escalade. It had 53,000 miles on it when I bought it and I paid $18,000 for it. It was cheaper much than a new one. I got the Cadillac luxury for a Chevrolet Tahoe price. I love the heated seats, Boise stereo, security sys, and Vortex engine. But who was the fool engineer who put the oil filter horizontally above the 4 wheel drive transfer case? Oil runs down my arm everytime I change it. I have hauled 20 bags of cement or 25 cement blocks with no set down problems. This truck has a great suspension. I had to change the front disc rotors, they worpt. Also, the front suspension rubber bumpers needed replaced. This truck tows a 20' ski boat no problem. When in 4WD the front end is jumpy. But 2WD provides a great ride. The tail gate hard for my wife to get down but its better that the double doors. I will buy a used one again...

The fact that it's a Cadillac. The nicer front end looks better than the one on the current generation. Heated seats and mirrors are a must. It's a hauler with luxuary. the Vortex engine is great. I like the four drivetrain selection options. The Boise stereo speaks for itself. I also like the fact that it runs on regular gas. I save a bundle at the pump. It has many cup holders. My wife took it from me and loves it.

Relocate the oil filter! The Vortex runs cool so it takes a while for the heater to produce hot air. The front rotors shouldn't have gone out at 55,000 miles. For a short person the tail gate is hard to get down. The steering wheel is off center by and inch or 2. That's it.