1998 Cadillac Eldorado - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eldorado model:
A Dream Car With Baggage.
By CaddyGuy on 03/21/09 11:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Eldorado Touring 2dr Coupe

My Cadillac ETC is my dream car. It has everything but OnSt*r. The exterior body design is unique and sleek. The interior design is Sweeping, modern and extremely attractive. But the Baggage is the NorthStar Engine. No one can afford to repair it unless you have Warrantee. It suffers carbon build up which requires occasional WOTs to clean out. Search the Cadillac forums and search WOT. Though toted by GM as the best engine ever, it is a night mare in costs when repairs come, even small ones, repair cost is excessive. My ETC was my dream car and I enjoy it emensly but I am concerned when that NorthStar should have a problem. You really need to weigh your need vs a junk NorthStar eng.

Loved Mine
By Len on 10/03/08 17:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Eldorado 2dr Coupe

I bought this car when I graduated high school in 2005 for $7000 with 70,000 miles, drove it for 3 years and loved it. It was relatively quick for a 7 year old car, handled like a boat, but had a soft cushy ride. It needed a $300 tune up, $400 radiator, $500 brakes, and had electrical problems, but it just kept running, never smoked or broke down. It had a great motor, but was a big heavy car, and I wasn't crazy abot the FWD. I traded it in January 2008 for $3500 with minor electrical problems

Scott
By SCOTT on 08/12/08 19:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Eldorado 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for about 1 1/2, and had numerous problems. I had to replace my water pump then the radiator, and now dished out 1600 to fix the head gaskets. I think they messed up with the design of this engine because every mechanic I ask almost all of them refused to work on them including the dealership. It has great horsepower and good on gas, but seems like if you have any problems you should just junk them. There too expensive to work on them, and any major work you got to drop the engine just to get to the source.

How Do I Keep My Elle Forever?
By Sue on 03/09/08 18:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Eldorado Touring 2dr Coupe

This car is the nicest car on the road. It can hit high speed (24 mpg) passing a caravan of trucks without even noticing it. The drive home was on roads closed by a winter storm. First stoplight it skidded a bit and stopped. The dashboard said, "Traction Restored." Right then I knew this car was for me! Great mileage on the road and not bad in town either. I won't be buying another Cadillac until they come up with something comparable.

My personal Time Machine
By Larry on 02/27/08 13:30 PM (PST)

1998 Cadillac Eldorado Touring 2dr Coupe

I have a Black on Black 98 ETC with the optional SunRoof. What a "looker"! She was turned on by someone that owned her on lease and surprisingly, had very low mileage. Were a couple of maintenance issues, normal for the age and miles of the car and was cared for by warranty! She has been a dream to drive and always like a step into a different dimiension. Everything about her enhances the trip from the smooth ride, comfortable seats, well thought out instruments and Boise Stereo. I always enjoy driving this lady down the highways.

I Love This Car!
By Kevin on 10/11/07 21:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Eldorado 2dr Coupe

I have loved this from the moment that I bought it. It is now 10 years old and it's still turning heads. The power is unreal. I was so impressed with the 300lbs of torque this car has. The beauty of this car is amazing and I think because there are less of them around people really miss old fashion American design. I am 21 years old and this car is a time capsule for me. It takes me to the stories my grandpa has told me about the 1950's when Eldorado's were the definitive of luxury. The history of America lives on in this wonderful Cadillac.

Best Caddie I owned
By steve on 06/10/07 05:46 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Eldorado Touring 2dr Coupe

I just bought this '98 and fist day I was a little uncomfortable till I found the right seat setting and I started a love affair with the car. To get in and sit down a smile from ear to ear comes across my face. Stomp on the throtle and the car flies like a 1970 Elderado. I am impressed. Handles the best of any Caddie I owmed. I have to watch the speed because I seem to do 80 pulling out on the highway. The car looks new and everyone loves the car and asks about it. She is a keeper for the long run.

In Love
By Patrick on 04/21/06 22:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Eldorado Touring 2dr Coupe

My buddy had a '92 or '93 Eldorado with some 20 inch rims on it. I was WOWWED with the styling. He didn't have the Northstar engine, but I do. I got the ETC Touring Coupe, and the whole car feels SINFUL. I waited over 5 years for this car, and I have not been let down. I am still surprised with things like the "Turn" lighting, presets, dual zone air conditioning / heat, blah blah. Also, I am super impressed with the acceleration. This car is super quiet, and super smooth.

Very Very Very Upset
By Very Disapointed on 10/20/05 16:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Eldorado Touring 2dr Coupe

When I first got my 1998 Cadillac Eldorado, I loved it no doubt about it. It is very classy and very comfy and the price was right. It gives a very nice ride. However after my first two years with it everything that could go wrong did. I completly replaced the cooling system in the engine I mean everything from the water pump to the radiator every hose and even the bucket the holds the coolent. It was just this great big money pit. Finally the head gasket went that was a mini fourturne to replace. The Northstar engine is the biggest joke 10 mechanics said the same thing. I'm also very upset with the way Cadilac treated me they were so rude and fought me on every problem.

The Best
By MWA on 09/02/05 01:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac Eldorado 2dr Coupe

Oil consumption problems with Northstar engine virtually eliminated with what is termed WOT (wide open throttle)running. It appears ironic, but works. The finest automobile that I have ever owned and offers unparalleled luxury from top to bottom. OBD II system virtually checks systems and can be manually accessed for DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes) In essence, it diagnoses its own problems. Leather interior is exquisite. Ride is just like sitting in an expensive leather recliner- in a jet airplane. Sound system-CD changer & cassette player- offer flawless entertainment. MPG 24 city / 30 highway. Beauty, power and performance like no other I have ever driven................