Used 1997 Cadillac Eldorado Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Cadillac Eldorado - Consumer Reviews

1997 Cadillac Eldorado

View reviews for a specific Eldorado model:

It's a Cadillac
By car_man1

1997 Cadillac Eldorado Touring 2dr Coupe

My 97 ETC isn't bad. Of course what you expect for buying a used 16 yr old caddy at 126,*** Miles. New battery, wipers, new set of rims (one was cracked and I couldn't find a replacment, but got current ones from a junk yard for free off a 91 seville:).The Service Light came on for a few weeks then went off, it is a bad O2 sensor and I haven't had $$/time to fix it now. Once in a while, it has a hard WARM start, possible leaky fuel injector ( I hope!). I ordered the service manual (I advise DIY-ers to do this) and I can't wait to start seeing how my N* works. But with gas being over $4, it may become a weekend car and back to the 01 Civic LX for me.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, rainsense wipers (mine haven't worked since I got it, except manual mist, lo and hi, not spending $300 to fix) Maybe in the summer they will have a discount. Seats are comfy, GREAT power, nice sounding engine, roomy rear seat for a coupe, location of HVAC, radio controls, overall looks inside and out ( and stares from other drivers and pedestrians:).

Suggested Improvements

The rear pillars are MAJOR blind spots. Terrible for backing out of parking spots if you park next to a larger car(You CAN'T see!) or chainging lanes. The seat back in the driver and front passenger seats should go up straighter, because, for me, they don't and I always have to hunch forward; unless I'm driving in a straight line, then I can lean back a little. It also runs fine on 5gals of regular (saves you $25.00) and the rest (15gals) on midgrade. It DOES NOT need premium unless you plan on racing or towing everyday. Happy Trails!

Satisfied
By hadrn

1997 Cadillac Eldorado Touring 2dr Coupe

My 97 Eldorado is beautiful. A Peanut butter-top on burgundy, with brand new 2008 Cadillac-Vove Rims, dipped in gold and of course brand spanking new Vove tires. I reside in Los Angeles, California, where everyone show and tell their cars, and although I'm refined my Eldorado holds its own against any fancy car, even Bentleys, in the looks department. I can't say much about my powerful motor, my Cadillac dealer takes care of that stuff, but I will comment on fuel efficiency being up to par and how well my Eldorado takes care of me when I'm out and about on the highways and by- ways.

Favorite Features

Smooth handling, good looking and elegant all in one.

Suggested Improvements

A repeat in the body style in 2010.

All cars have the goods and the bads.
By RON

1997 Cadillac Eldorado 2dr Coupe

My 97 Eldorado is showroom new. I live in Palm Springs California. The car over all has been exceptional. Period. I read these other reviews and Wonder about some comments. First its not really meant to be raced. I have not replaced all these items mentioned from other reviewers. The car has always been kept in the garage. It is the Pearl color with every option. The interior looks as if it just came off the show room floor. You must always take this type of car to the Cadillac dealer. Only they have the correct tools and replacement parts. It is taken once a year for its check up. It drives as if new. It always gets 28 mpg on the highway.

Favorite Features

Reminds me a little of the 70's muscle cars.

Suggested Improvements

None. It is what it is.

Black beauty
By Peter J

1997 Cadillac Eldorado 2dr Coupe

Well my father bought the car for himself in 2006 miles 138,000, put the 4.6 vin. 9 touring engine in then gave it to me. Put new rims an tinted dark. Looks sharp. The only thing that has happened to me was the ac went out. Which was very easy to fix all it needed was to be charged, still isn't colder than my sts but I'll live. The one thing I love doing is punching it in a tunnel, and hear that baby roar! The northstar is the greatest invention. But all in all this car is the best car I have ever had "mind you I'm 19". I would buy another, but probably the last year they were in production just to get the on star* car now has 165,000 on it an runs like a dream great mpg still! 17 city 29highway

Favorite Features

my favorite feature would have to be the 4.6 NorthStar, the second would be the the steering wheel controls, makes it easier to stay comfortable and entertained. the AC controls are really easy to use, older models are very hard to figure out.

Suggested Improvements

The molding around the windows start letting air in so u hear a drafty sounds at 70 MPH, head gaskets need to be stronger!!!

Nine Years and Counting
By Joe

1997 Cadillac Eldorado 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new with only seven miles on it. Today it has 176,000 miles. I have replaced the AC compressor twice, one power steering pump, two alternators, and the head gaskets. The blown head gasket was my fault for trying to drive to next exit ignoring the warning system; a radiator hose had burst. The piston rings were replaced and the heads rebuilt when the dealer replaced the head gasket. It cost $4,000 to repair and the car had 116,000 miles. All in all the car has been reliable. The car doesn't smoke, but does drink a quart of oil every two weeks. If Cadillac came out with a design I liked, I would probably buy another. The Northstar engine is a marvel.

Favorite Features

The sound of the engine when you punch the gas.

Suggested Improvements

Give it a softer suspension and a better sound system.