Used 1992 Cadillac Eldorado Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Cadillac Eldorado - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.9L V8 4-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )

New-Found Love
By cadiqueen

1992 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my '92 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe at an auto auction a little over a month ago for a few hundred dollars. It wasn't my first choice, but I am so glad that I bought it. Best purchase ever. It has it's issues- I've replaced two tires, the exhaust manifold, the instrument panel and the glove box latch. All parts were gotten cheap. Whomever had this car took very good care of it. Mechanically, it is perfect. The leather interior is almost perfect and it drives like a dream. I plan on having this car for as long as it will stay alive. I recommend this car to anyone, especially parents buying for a new driver. Very solid, safe car.

Favorite Features

The engine!! The v8 is amazing. I am a speed demon, and having the ability to get to the speed I desire so quickly is great. MPG was a concern when I first bought the car, but I am averaging 25 MPG. On a 20 yo car with such a large engine, that is amazing. I get better gas mileage than friends that have SUVs. The interior is so well designed. It's beautiful!

Suggested Improvements

GM did well when they redesigned the Eldorado for 1992. It's beautiful. They were definitely looking towards the future because no one believes me when I tell them how old my Cadillac is. My only hope is that new Cadillac models are as fantastic as my Eldorado.

I Love My '92 Eldo
By Caset

1992 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe 2dr Coupe

I've driven over 30,000 west coast miles. Really enjoy driving this car. It makes me smile and often laugh every time I walk up to it. Such a great streamlined look! I agree its the only car that looks like its moving when it's sitting still. So sexy and elegant. Replaced drivers window motor and recently have been tracking an electrical weirdness. Replaced the starter/battery but still sometimes clicks instead of starting. Haven't been able to figure it out. Speakers were going on and off then smelled electrical so don't use it. The a/c goes on and off sometimes when I go over bumps so there's some wiring with bad connects. I still love it and am keeping it for now.

Favorite Features

Sleek elegant lines - fantastic visual. Totally adjustable everything leather seats. And I love the feel of the steering wheel and shift handle. Also am totally entertained by the miles per gallon display and range numbers changing while I drive - playing the accelerator game!

Suggested Improvements

Simpler wiring and yes better plastic on the interior. Mine is cracked and peeling off the console. Dash board is a little funky. The worst part is the clear coat is peeling off. boohoo. Does anyone know how to fix that?

dependable and sturdy
By amii

1992 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe 2dr Coupe

my eldorado is rock solid. i had an accident in it with a f250 and my father got the body of the car fixed and it runs like it was never wrecked. i haave test driven newer cars and can't find much to match the strength of my el dorado. it even has decent gas mileage for a cadillac.

Reliable Classic
By Road Queen

1992 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe 2dr Coupe

Gracious, old-fashioned Italianesque (Pininfarina's spirit?) beauty with a classic flair. The handling is very precise and feels crisp and agile -- with quick response of a spiffy little sports car, but with all the safety benefits of a big heavy car. The car is extremely comfortable to drive. The seats are thick and firm and this helps me feel less tired after long trips. I have the sports analog gauge. Still runs on original transmission and 4.9L V8. Past repairs:air suspension, some worn original gaskets & seals, oil pump. Planned:a/c compressor, struts. Otherwise maintenance. I love that pulling trouble codes is built right into the controls. Overall a good, reliable car over the years.

Favorite Features

The car is heavy and stays put beautifully on the highway. Very solid, old-fashioned construction -- a big plus for safety. Very fuel-efficient on the highway. Very powerful, responsive, and amazingly agile for such a big heavy car. Cushy comfort, Bose speakers, music has very life-like detail.

Suggested Improvements

Not fuel efficient in town but for a 4.9L V8, in-town mileage isn't that bad. Air suspension can be finicky (someone else also mentioned). Overall, many of the car's original parts have lasted for an amazingly long time. Hard to improve upon, except perhaps a solar / hybrid convertible version.

Prettiest pile of junk I ever owned
By bob

1992 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is a beautiful car but that beauty is only skin deep. Below the skin is a mechanical junk pile of the poorest engineeering I have ever seen and I am an engineer. I thought I was buying the ultimate in American automotive engineering. In 110,000 miles I have gone thru 3 alternators, 4 water pumps, at least 5 serpentine belts, one catalytic converter and numerous failures to pass smog tests. The drivers side window does not operate properly. The radio, Bose system, is all snap, crackle and pop. Oh, and now the drivers side view mirror does not work, and the heater has given up. Like I said, it is the prettiest pile of junk I have ever owned.