Used 2008 Cadillac DTS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Cadillac DTS Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific DTS model:

Wanted to love it...but in the end...didnt!
By phillip_g

2008 Cadillac DTS Sedan Performance 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have loved Cadillacs since I was 5 years old and rode with my Granny everywhere in her many Cadillacs over the years. I am not the typical age of the traditional Caddy buyer. I like the size, comfort, and style of large American Cars. Family has always driven Caddys or Lincolns and I carry on that tradition with a great amount of pride. Purchased Certified-Used in early 2011, traded a 2005 Deville DTS that I loved. The 2008 DTS is NOT a sports car nor is it intended to be. I am so very disappointed in its reliability issues not only for the cost but also for sentimental reasons.

Heated and cooled front seats, front seats have rolling lumbar supports. Rear seats are heated and has HVAC controls for the rear passengers. Its difficult to be uncomfortable in any seat in the car. As the driver you can personalize almost every feature to your individual setting and works with key fob or memory button. Very Comfortable for 5 adults, great road trip car. HUGE trunk. Front and rear parking sensors are handy. Smooth V8 and considering its size got decent mpg.

Difficult to park due to the turing radius. A vehicle of this size should not be front wheel drive and transmission was only a 4 speed thus hindering the performance of the big V8. It was just out of warranty and it started to have major issues- rear suspension problems, cracked motor mounts, and leaking a lot of oil into the crank case- needed almost $6k+ worth of work after putting $2500 into the front suspension. These issues were very surprising to me as I am neurotic about taking care of my vehicles and maintenance on them. 2005 model had almost the the same exact issues but were covered under warranty.

Glad I didn't sell my Merc Grand Marquis
By rdownie

2008 Cadillac DTS Sedan Luxury II 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I recently purchased a 2008 Cadillac DTS with 62,000 miles. It was to replace my 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis with 155,000 miles. The Cad looks and runs like a brand new car, but the ride is not near as nice as my aging Grand Marquis. Lots of road noise. Every bump in the city streets are accented by thumping noises as the wheels go over the spots. I took it to the Cad dealer and they claim that is the way all Cadillac's drive these days. Plus they charged me $1600.00 to replace both front sway bars and a left front drum. Luckily they split the cost with me since I had only owned the car for 31 days. Plus, too many buttons to push---very distracting. I should have bought another Merc.

Love the looks and the moon roof.

This car has the console with the shift lever. Nice, but would like to see the D, N, R, etc back lighted at night. Also, the dash is nearly unreadable during daylight hours. The biggest problem is with the road noise. The car rides like a dream on blacktop freeways but like a noisy sports car on city streets. This is my second Cadillac and it will be my last. The prices keeps going up and the quality keeps going down.

Miss my old Caddy
By caddygirl4life

2008 Cadillac DTS Sedan Luxury II 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

My 2008 DTS is sexy, I have been driving a caddy since 16 and have owened through the years 10 plus cars (caddy's) always upgrading to a newer year... The 2008 is the first caddy I brought brand new and I have to say the even though I think the car looks good, the ride is just not there. I really miss my 97 deville concours and wished I never upgraded.

I real enjoy the heated and cooled seats/ heated steering wheel and the look of the car.

Engine a little loud.... You would think all the years North Star has been out they would redo the engine to be more smoother

Batmobile... All Grown-up
By miguelski

2008 Cadillac DTS Sedan Luxury II 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

In considering a replacement for my 2004 black Supercharged SS Monte Carlo (Batmobile) I looked for an American made "grown-up" 4 door car. My internet research led me to the Certified 2008 black-on-black Cadillac DTS which I purchased. I am very pleased with my purchase.

The features, comfortable ride and driving pleasure the DTS provides are unsurpassed for an American made car.

Owning the 2008 DTS for only 4 months, I've not found anything I could recommend to be improved.

2008 DTS Luxury III
By 2008 DTS Luxury III

2008 Cadillac DTS Sedan Luxury III 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in my 2000 DHS for the 2008 DTS Luxury III Platinum model and regret it. My old DHS was a great car with a bad transmission. I had a few problems and tried to contact the "help" line. They refused to let me talk to a decision maker and were basically worthless. Cadillac apparently does not want to talk to customers. I am trying to go through the dealership and they will not give me the name of the GM Rep so I am not allowed to talk to her. This is unfortunate since I have 3 GM cars and when these are gone will likely not have another.

The DTS is a solid car, very nice on the road, comfortable seats with the lumbar, nice acceleration, and a nice looking car.

The transmission "clunks", very noticeably, and GM refuses to fix it or even acknowledge it is a problem. The bulletin (given by the dealer) says the clunk is normal and discusses a thrust reversal on shift. This car does it when the gas is slightly pressed. GM's response is not good.