Used 2006 Cadillac DTS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Cadillac Dts - Consumer Reviews

2006 Cadillac DTS Sedan

View reviews for a specific DTS model:

Assessing the 2006 Cadillac DTS
By Jim

2006 Cadillac DTS Sedan Luxury II 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I thoroughly enjoy the car in almost every aspect. It has lots of zip and yet is classy. The interior is nicely laid out with plenty of room. The seats are comfortable. I don't use the remote start much, but in the winter it is nice to have. I thoroughly enjoy the XM radio. Like drugs, it is extremely addictive. I cannot live without it now. I have since installed it in my second car and when I replace that, I will get XM radio in the new car.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are XM radio, heated steering wheel and seats, and headlights are super great on a dark and rainy night.

Suggested Improvements

The doors open very wide. It would be nice if some way they could have a button to return them 1/2 way and then one could grab on to the door handle much more easily.

Cadillac DTS 2006
By sdi206

2006 Cadillac DTS Sedan Luxury I 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I put 126k miles on 2006 DTS and engine failed with cracked engine block. I got breaks done once a year because break pads just wore out. I had to replace tires every 10k miles. Stability track warning light always came on. Continuous problems with arm bars and tire rods. Gas guzzler. Arm rest broke. Overall just a cheaply made care...Not impressed. Glad I bought a Lexus this time. Service at Caddy is bad and fails to compare to Lexus. Never again.

Favorite Features

Roomy with nice sight lines. I could seat 6 people easy. Big trunk. Front & back indicator warning light was great. Heated seats in rear where great.

How to mess up a great car
By Grumpy1

2006 Cadillac DTS Sedan Performance 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Without a doubt this is one of the finest autos I have ever driven. But, I cannot understand why so many details were installed hastily just so that they could hurriedly put the car into production. The glove box for instance is no comparison to my old '02. Most of the interior is plastic. This is not what you would expect in a $50,000 car. The consol is about useless. There is no longer a light under the hood. Mine has a heated stearing wheel that does not heat. It has so many buttons to press that after three months I do not know what many of them are for. The easy exit seat is easy exit but not easy entrance. The doors dificult to close. Also, amazingly this car does not have a locking gas door.

Favorite Features

Stearing wheel telescope and driver's seat movement.

Suggested Improvements

Change the easy exit feature so that you have equal exit and entrance such as on the '02 model. Reinstall the light under the hood. Remove some of the useless gadgets. Redo the glovebox and consol storage.

New Caddy Owner...and Luvin It
By CodyC

2006 Cadillac DTS Sedan Luxury III 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first Caddy, but I absolutely love driving this. I previously owned a Chrysler Concorde LXi...loved that car. But, I could end up loving this Caddy more. Large trunk is what attracted me, but I took this one for a test drive and WOW. THE MOST comfortable ride I have ever had. It comes with every gadget: Nav, DVD, XM, BOSE sound, dual AC/Heat controls, separate rear temp control, front/rear parking sensors, rain-sense wipers, V8 performance, good hwy gas mileage, exception lighting features, soft leather seats. Luvin It.

Favorite Features

Bose Sound System, soft and comfy ride, good handling, great acceleration, large trunk, Aux Input for MP3, rear seat legroom, heated/cooled seats, lumbar massage, seat and steering memories, memorizes your temp settings, heated steering wheel, real wood steering wheel and treatments, and more.

Suggested Improvements

Glove box too small, too low, hits knees of passenger. More cabin storage would be nice. Only one CD in Nav version. Would be great to have manual shift mode to take advantage of V8. Bluetooth for cell phone.

DTS Luxury III, Total Comfort at reasonable price
By bsdtwd

2006 Cadillac DTS Sedan Luxury III 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought mine gently used with 23,000 miles. Just off lease. Has everything but distronic style cruise. My wife loves the cooled seats and massage. Just had heated windshield fluid option disabled due to recall. Worked well. Got $100 back from GM. I replaced the third brake light on trunk lid. LED's were going out and I discovered issue as I replaced it. The first screw, of seven, was over torqued during manufacture and let water into the led housing. You must replace entire unit. About $125.00. I see lots of DTS's with same issue. New one works well. Only other repair was front wheel hub/bearing. Rough winter/potholes in Ohio. A great car, fantastic ride and the last of the big ones.

Favorite Features

Ride, simple controls. Lots of toys. Tons of room. Looks great and runs great.

Suggested Improvements

Replacing the small light in headlight assembly (not the amber or LED) requires removal of front bumper fascia and splash guard(s) and wheel well liner to access. Just a bit of Old GM engineering showing. Small light, big bill at dealer or 4 hour knuckle scraping job at home.