Used 2002 Cadillac DeVille Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Cadillac DeVille Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific DeVille model:

Not sure what Cadillac is anymore...
By potsynolls

2002 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I think that the devilles' are good sized cars that eliminating any cramped feelings that most other cars can have. This is a definite upgrade from chevy division products, and I am sad to see the company changing it's product line up into unfamiliar territory. Being a 2002 deville I have made and paid for some repairs which isn't fun, but eventually any 10+ year old car is going to need some work done to it. I am still a little confused to what Cadillac thinks that they are competing with at the same price points of everyone else. I think that the build quality of cadillacs should be the standard for all GM products instead of them continuously pumping out tin can crap to consumers.

I very much like the styling in and out, and the plenty-of-space factor. It's a great cruiser, or when your late for something. Handles well. The northstar is quiet and can move the deville's weight well and doesn't struggle to accelerate from a stop (lincoln town car). Acceleration once in motion is quick and powerful. I have the base deville, and I don't feel outclassed without the refinements of the DHS/ DTS. The non-bose factory stereo is worth leaving in besides adding an aftermarket subwoofer and amp. I like the one touch window pull down feature, the dual sun visors, the quality feel and sound of the doors opening and closing, and the many ways the drivers seat can be positioned.

The driver seat leans left, isn't wide enough to sit in, and does not put you center of the steering wheel/ driver's dash panel. The 2000+ devilles' are nowhere near as smooth in suspension, or handling as the mid to late 90's devilles' that actually feel like Cadillac quality. The armrest hinge breaks off easily. The steering is too stiff to be considered luxurious. The air ride suspension is probably the most hokey thing ever, besides the widespread faulty head gasket problem. What I thought was a needed tire balance turned out to be the transmission's output shaft (that connects to the cv axle) on the driver's side has play causing the car to shake at highway speeds and when braking.

Still a great car
By Jerry K.

2002 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our '02 Deville for my wife to replace her Chrysler 300M. It was bought used with 24K miles and we now have 94K on it. We have had all four bearings/hubs replaced, rear shocks, pass. window switch, one tie rod end and the pwr. strg. hose has a slight leak. Otherwise, it has been an excellent drive, smooth but have had the slight front end vibration above 60 MPH as commented by others. Four new Yokohama tires virtually eliminated it. Some of the dash switch lights have gone out but due to the permanent bulb design in the circuit boards, the bulbs simply cannot be replaced without a soldering iron. Engine/transmission are flawless. It uses a qt. of oil every 2000 miles.

Favorite features are the traditional "Cadillac" presence with a car this size. People still turn to look when we pull in for gas. The smooth and near silent ride at 65 MPH. Huge trunk, interior room both front and rear for "real" sized people. And, the relative reliability. We avg. about 22 MPG

The leather seats have not held up as expected, showing too much wear. The minor creaks and clicks from the dash diminish an otherwise hushed ride.

Okay
By Keith

2002 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

It is quite a machine, motor wise. The motor drinks oil but other than that it has never left me stranded. I have one that also shakes at over 60, and when you brake it shakes. I have driven it across the U.S a few time, once non-stop except gas for 34 hours. I drive it in Europe right now. It is slow next to the cars over here, but it's rare over here. I've saw one. The one place the dash going from English to metric actually helps.

North Star Motor. Body Style. Highway up to 33 MPG.

As low as 14 MPG in city. 93 octane on East coast and 91 on West. I've spent $1,200.00 on car and it still shakes.

caddys are not for rookies
By caddy daddy

2002 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

this is my third cadillac and from my expierence, its all a roll of the dice! some are built to last with minimal repairs, and others will make you pull your hair out! routine maintenance plays a critical role of the life of your caddy, used caddys should be bought will eligible extended warranty, if buying used check gm inquiry report and that should tell you alot about your caddys reliablity. the car overall is great, i guess for me the third times a charm, ive paid my dues to cadillac, do your research, inspect your caddy daily, and keep up with routine maintenance.

digital display features, great for traveling, comfy reclining seats, smooth ride! once you go caddilac you never go back!

heavy shifting, turning radius, oil consumption. need better quality leather seats, and please do something about the fuel consumption! not everyone drives on the freeway all day!

Shake Rattle & Roll
By Burgundy & Gold

2002 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This has been one of the worst car experiences I have ever had. I love the way the car looks, but I cannot stand it when the accelerator begins to shake when I drive over 60 mph. It also shakes when I apply the brakes even though I have changed the brakes, rotors, tie rod ends, and numerous other things. Not to mention I have to take it to the dealership at least 3 or 4 times a year! It sucks! My next car will not be a Cadi. Too much work.

I like the body type.

Better gas mileage, more sturdiness and reliability