Used 2002 Cadillac DeVille Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Cadillac DeVille - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific DeVille model:

Not sure what Cadillac is anymore...
By potsynolls

2002 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I think that the devilles' are good sized cars that eliminating any cramped feelings that most other cars can have. This is a definite upgrade from chevy division products, and I am sad to see the company changing it's product line up into unfamiliar territory. Being a 2002 deville I have made and paid for some repairs which isn't fun, but eventually any 10+ year old car is going to need some work done to it. I am still a little confused to what Cadillac thinks that they are competing with at the same price points of everyone else. I think that the build quality of cadillacs should be the standard for all GM products instead of them continuously pumping out tin can crap to consumers.

I very much like the styling in and out, and the plenty-of-space factor. It's a great cruiser, or when your late for something. Handles well. The northstar is quiet and can move the deville's weight well and doesn't struggle to accelerate from a stop (lincoln town car). Acceleration once in motion is quick and powerful. I have the base deville, and I don't feel outclassed without the refinements of the DHS/ DTS. The non-bose factory stereo is worth leaving in besides adding an aftermarket subwoofer and amp. I like the one touch window pull down feature, the dual sun visors, the quality feel and sound of the doors opening and closing, and the many ways the drivers seat can be positioned.

The driver seat leans left, isn't wide enough to sit in, and does not put you center of the steering wheel/ driver's dash panel. The 2000+ devilles' are nowhere near as smooth in suspension, or handling as the mid to late 90's devilles' that actually feel like Cadillac quality. The armrest hinge breaks off easily. The steering is too stiff to be considered luxurious. The air ride suspension is probably the most hokey thing ever, besides the widespread faulty head gasket problem. What I thought was a needed tire balance turned out to be the transmission's output shaft (that connects to the cv axle) on the driver's side has play causing the car to shake at highway speeds and when braking.

Out of lots of money
By people champ33

2002 Cadillac DeVille DTS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Fun to drive handles great for big car but have had so sink thousands of dollars into repairs in the shop every 3-4 months Northstar engine is crazy expensive to work on if needed. No doubt will never buy a dts again.

roomy car interior design is elegant

more reliable

Still a great car
By Jerry K.

2002 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our '02 Deville for my wife to replace her Chrysler 300M. It was bought used with 24K miles and we now have 94K on it. We have had all four bearings/hubs replaced, rear shocks, pass. window switch, one tie rod end and the pwr. strg. hose has a slight leak. Otherwise, it has been an excellent drive, smooth but have had the slight front end vibration above 60 MPH as commented by others. Four new Yokohama tires virtually eliminated it. Some of the dash switch lights have gone out but due to the permanent bulb design in the circuit boards, the bulbs simply cannot be replaced without a soldering iron. Engine/transmission are flawless. It uses a qt. of oil every 2000 miles.

Favorite features are the traditional "Cadillac" presence with a car this size. People still turn to look when we pull in for gas. The smooth and near silent ride at 65 MPH. Huge trunk, interior room both front and rear for "real" sized people. And, the relative reliability. We avg. about 22 MPG

The leather seats have not held up as expected, showing too much wear. The minor creaks and clicks from the dash diminish an otherwise hushed ride.

Leaky leaky
By unhappycamper

2002 Cadillac DeVille DTS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great riding car and a looker, too. BUT: last year at 73000 miles I had to get oil pan gaskets replaced - $1300. Last month at 83,000 miles, the northstar has a leaky head gasket. That'll be another $1400 plus. Sad that such an expensive car develops problems so soon. I've driven Buick lesabres passed 160,000 miles with no such problems. This is my LAST Caddy.

Bells and whistles although the sensors in the wheels that monitor air pressure are a real pain - too sensitive

Try a new type engine - most folks I tak with say that Caddies are notorious for engine leaks.

Okay
By Keith

2002 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

It is quite a machine, motor wise. The motor drinks oil but other than that it has never left me stranded. I have one that also shakes at over 60, and when you brake it shakes. I have driven it across the U.S a few time, once non-stop except gas for 34 hours. I drive it in Europe right now. It is slow next to the cars over here, but it's rare over here. I've saw one. The one place the dash going from English to metric actually helps.

North Star Motor. Body Style. Highway up to 33 MPG.

As low as 14 MPG in city. 93 octane on East coast and 91 on West. I've spent $1,200.00 on car and it still shakes.