Used 2001 Cadillac DeVille Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Cadillac Deville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific DeVille model:

factory reject?
By tatezuki

2001 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

The Caddy looked good. It's supposed to, it's a Caddy. It sat way too low to the ground. I would have to drive very very slowly over speed humps so I wouldn't rip anything off. My mechanic said it would cost over $800 to replace. It somehow loses a quart of oil a month. Catalytic converter.....almost $500 to replace. A "fresh air" unit? ........... needed to pass emissions, over $400. I bought it with $56k miles. It now has 103k. Now the front end shakes when I drive over 40 mph. The fuel gauge NEVER worked. I bought it three years ago with 56k miles on it. It has 103k now.

Favorite Features

It looked good.

Suggested Improvements

I used to drive a Buick Park Avenue. The seats were much more comfortable. Fix the oil loss problem. Fix the fuel gauge. On the steering wheel make it so you can swith from cd player to radio and on the radio from am to fm1 and fm2. Right now you can only change the channels on the radio and you have to reach down to the console to change from cd to radio to cassette. Put more speakers in it. I blew out the ONE in back.

Caddy Deville
By Christian

2001 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2001 Cadillac Deville (Base Sedan) in 2004 with 9,000 miles on it. It was purchased from a prominent local dealer, and it looked new, smelled new, and drove new the day I drove it off the lot for a total price of $25,000 including the 5 year 75,000 mile extended warranty. The car drove like a dream for the first 3 years, and was overall “problem free” as for the 4th year on, it has been extremely time consuming costly in order to keep it running sufficiently and looking good. The extended warranty on the vehicle recently ended in July. The company was exceptional. From the year 2004 to 2009 the warranty spent over $10,000 in repairs for this car

Favorite Features

The Digital Speedometer, Memory Seats,Heated Seats, Sound System, Rear Digital Thermostat, Steering Wheel A/C and Radio Controls.The car is quite technologically advanced for it's year.I also love the factor chrome rims.Most importantly the smooth ride is amazing.

Suggested Improvements

Engine-Burns oil excessively and may develope a "piston slap" Grill-shows wear even when taken care of and garaged.

All That Glitters Is Not A Gold Cadillac
By Vincent Roane

2001 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

First let me say that I have always admired Cadillacs since I was a little boy. All 4 of my uncles owned a Cadillac at one time or another. A beautiful car to drive and be admired in. However, repairs can be expensive for a domestic car. I strongly suggest purchasing an extended warranty immediately. It burns alot of oil. And takes 8qts to do an oil change. Which the dealers all say is normal. At 100,000 the selonoid transmission started to go bad. And the oh so dreaded sensor modules always tend to fail on all cadillacs at some point which costs between $500-$800. Other than all of that. It's a beautiful car to drive and look at, but no fun to repair. Keep $500 on hand at all times.

Favorite Features

The automatic start and heated seats are fun, especially in the winter months. Cruise control; heated steering wheel, rear sensors, smooth ride, digital dash, great stereo system, those digital rear brake and signal lights along with that classic caddy boat body style are head turners.

Suggested Improvements

Alot of plastic interior where wood grain should have been. Power window construction could be better, I haven't had any problems as of yet, but I have heard horror stories. 8qts of oil is a bit much for a luxury vehicle and it burns about 1qt every 800 miles. Cadillac says its normal...but why?

My First Car "What a Beauty"
By ElCubanazo429

2001 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This car my family has had it since we bought it in 2004. About a week ago my parents gave it to me with 55,000 miles and it drives great. My experience with this car mechanically has been great no problems have appeared. Beautiful car, power, and workmanship. Great Job Cadillac! P.S. For me those foreign cars are no good, American muscle for me. God Bless

Favorite Features

The engine, interior, tail lamps and tail pipes

Suggested Improvements

the engine could not eat the quart of oil that it does but that is no biggie

Cadillac Lover
By Timothy Wheeler

2001 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

My dad bought me this Cadillac DeVille last year as my first car. I had wanted one since I was 6 years old. we bought the car and the very next day a radiator fan motor bearing went out, it cost almost $700 dollars to fix. since then I have heard popping sounds in the steering and it has stalled twice. the car has 44000 miles on it. I would still recommend buying a car like this, because the comfort and looks outweigh the problems. Its a great car

Favorite Features

room, I love the Titanic like handling.everything is easy to reach and it is so quiet. love the air ride suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Use better quality parts so the car can be used and not looked at.