14 years old and still going strong
By duraflex on
2000 Cadillac DeVille DHS 4dr Sedan
I have owned a 2000 Cadillac DeVille DHS for about 5 years. When a favorite relative passed it on to me, it was almost 9 years old and had sat unused in a garage for at least 2 years with just 22,000 miles on it. Professional mechanics told me I would likely have all kinds of very expensive problems with it and offered to take it off my hands and pay me $2000. GM was in trouble at the time but I decided to keep the car and take the risk. With the exception of replacing the battery, tires and overhauling the brakes - they were wrong about every other dire prediction. In 5 years, I've spent about $5000 in repairs and maintenance on the car. It's been worth every dollar.
Favorite Features
The car has been an absolute joy. It is so quiet, so smooth, so tailored and understated that itÂ’s an absolute blessing to own and drive. The paint still looks new as does the interior with the exception of the dash pad which is lifting up on the edges. The highway mileage on regular gas is actually close to 28mpg. Subsequent model years do not do nearly as well. I had routine service performed today and then took it on a highway run. It only has 47,000 miles but even at its age, it has no rattles and literally feels as tight and sure as a new car. This is one fine American luxury car.
Suggested Improvements
Stop using plastic parts on critical components. My auto door lock plastic linkage broke in one door. The power window plastic gear broke in driver window. I do not why GM discontinued DeVille and DTS. Most of the new Cadillacs look like gaudy pimpmobiles and I would not even consider buying one - new or used.