bye bye northstar, I'll miss you
By Steve on
1998 Cadillac DeVille D'elegance 4dr Sedan
Bought with 106,000 miles on it from a dealer. Well optioned with stabilitrac and all the goodies that made it nice to drive. I kept it well maintained. After 5 years of service, engine developed head gasket problems that caused overheating and engine shutdowns. I found that even though the car was still like new the repair would cost more than the car was worth. Loved the car and hated to see it go. Looked at getting a newer one but found that many 4.6L V8 engines have the same problem mine had. My advice is buy young and sell before 150,000 miles to avoid the problem. Would buy another in a heartbeat if no 4.6 liter engine in it. Too pretty to trash so donated to a charity.
Favorite Features
Stabilitrac is great in winter driving with traction control. Best A/C system in the business. Easiest to drive and park car I've ever had. Bought new Saturn Aura that's much smaller but doesn't get much better gas mileage even though it's 10 years newer and has a smaller engine. Go figure.
Suggested Improvements
Kind of late for this, but fix overall and engine reliability issues and I would consider getting another Cadillac. Until then I will be looking elsewhere.