Used 1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Cadillac Deville - Consumer Reviews

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan

View reviews for a specific DeVille model:

Comfort and Reliability
By marioltx

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan

From the moment you step on the gas its smooth all the way, all road conditions, weather and terrain. The only faults are excessive oil consumption, 2 quarts between changes, and while the breaks catch, the car drags the tires along. Once you learn about these and are prepared for them the smoothness and reliability almost makes up for it.

Favorite Features

Power - Northstar engine

Suggested Improvements

Fix the oil consumption problem.

Comfort and reliability - Great Package
By Karenfran

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan

This family car provides great comfort. Have driven this car all over the country and it zooms along Texas roads getting at 26 miles per gallon and climbs West VA hills with ease. I'm faithful to oil changes, tire rotation and pressure. Bought the car with 17,000 miles (save the showroom price for folks who don't care what they pay). Will definitely consider buying Cadillac again if this one slows down! A/C needed major fix in first few months but my warranty covered everything except $50 deductible.

Favorite Features

Front seat comfort, tons of storage room in trunk, and quiet inside car when driving.

Suggested Improvements

A/C could be better in back seats. Buy a warranty that your dealer will honor - very costly to repair this car and my warranties have more than paid for themselves.

My 2nd DeVille
By zman

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan D'elegance 4dr Sedan

I bought this DeVille with 137,000 miles on the odometer. I can attest that I am loving this car. It had great care, and still does. I get great mileage of upwards of 34 mpg @ 67 mph. Who else can do that with 275hp and 4,000lbs? It is roomy and elegant, yet I can get up and go when needed. I am looking forward to my 3rd Cadillac someday.

Favorite Features

Heated, memory and almost infinately adjustable seats. Large truck and spacious interior. Quiet ride, and best of all it's a Cadillac!

Suggested Improvements

No more Premium Only Fuel please. Other than that, there isn't much else to improve upon.

My dream car
By Jim

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan D'elegance 4dr Sedan

When I retired I bought my dream car, 1998 Cadillac DeVille. What a nightmare it has turned out to be. I aquired the car with 43,000 miles on it. At 47,900 miles I replaced the battery for $133.76 and a battery cable for $129.38 parts and $272.00 labor. At 49,600 miles I replaced the spark plugs for $84.40 parts and $205.49 labor as well as the AC compressor for $669.30 parts and $401.49 labor. At 61,000 miles I replaced the HVAC blower motor for $348.60 parts and $81.48 labor. This labor cost was low since I refused to use a Cadillac dealer. Cadillac OEM parts costs and Cadillac dealer labor cost are extremely expensive. I will be selling my dream car since I refuse to be victimized anymore.

Favorite Features

It is difficult to have any favorite features since the reliabilty is non-existent and the repair costs are excessive.

Suggested Improvements

Cadillac has to get their repair parts pricing into the realm of reality.

The perfect family car
By Tracy Telle

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan 4dr Sedan

I wanted a family car with a powerful engine. I had already done the SUV thing and was not about to drive a minivan. Well, after owning my 1998 Cadillac DeVille for 6 and 1/2 years I still love it. I did add a Chevrolet Corvette to the garage though, just for a little more fun! The Cadillac is super and I highly recommend it. The car still looks and runs like it came off the showroom floor!

Favorite Features

Electronic display and the placement of the contols.

Suggested Improvements

A more powerful rear seat air conditioning system.