1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific DeVille model:
Great car for the price.
By albee213 on 12/02/12 10:57 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan D'elegance 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 98 Deville D'elegance with 62k from an older gentleman. This car was almost perfect, did all maintenance, coolant flush, trans filter fluid, plugs wires, brakes, and rebuilt front end with new shocks, tie rod ends and ball joints. This car is power and smooth with many options standard that many new cars do not have. After replacing the shocks the car is nice to drive but its no sports car. This is just a cruiser that can give a beat down to kids with Honda's trying to pass you up. I live in Seattle so nothing but hills, MPG is 16 no matter what I do, but if I travel on the freeway it gets 26mpg with tires infalted to 38 pounds.

great purchase
By nsosure on 12/11/10 22:01 PM (PST)

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan D'elegance 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 78 thousand miles on it. Everything is working great on it and it rides smooth. It has the power to get up and go in a seconds notice. I didn't realize how big it really was till I sat in the backseat. Smooth Cadillac ride and lots of power. Gas mileage is pretty decent, better than I expected. My mom owns a 2006 impala and the deville has all the features the impala does and more even being as old as it is. No regrets buying this car. I plan to buy another.

bye bye northstar, I'll miss you
By Steve on 07/23/09 20:56 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan D'elegance 4dr Sedan

Bought with 106,000 miles on it from a dealer. Well optioned with stabilitrac and all the goodies that made it nice to drive. I kept it well maintained. After 5 years of service, engine developed head gasket problems that caused overheating and engine shutdowns. I found that even though the car was still like new the repair would cost more than the car was worth. Loved the car and hated to see it go. Looked at getting a newer one but found that many 4.6L V8 engines have the same problem mine had. My advice is buy young and sell before 150,000 miles to avoid the problem. Would buy another in a heartbeat if no 4.6 liter engine in it. Too pretty to trash so donated to a charity.

Price value of cadillac
By Joyce Davis on 06/25/08 08:50 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan D'elegance 4dr Sedan

I get 18 mpg in city & 23 on Hwy. Purchased it with 15,000 miles and no one drives it but me. It is a hard top convertible. Just purchased new battery and tires. Heated seats and of course security system.

Mustang Remover
By Gmiddler on 01/15/08 15:35 PM (PST)

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan D'elegance 4dr Sedan

I love the power in this machine. This Caddy reminds me of the 1958 Oldsmobile, you can not hold it back it just wants to go. I am 69 years old and love the ride and the handling of it. I hope it last me the rest of my life.

1998 Cadillac DeVille - Still Going
By john on 05/28/06 03:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan D'elegance 4dr Sedan

My 1998 Cadillac DeVille is a tank, but it handles well. It gives me 22 mpg on the highway and the only repair that I have had to do is replace the water pump.

Please Sir, May I have another?
By cadillacX3 on 01/05/06 11:39 AM (PST)

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan D'elegance 4dr Sedan

This is my third Cadillac, my second D'Elegance. My first was an 1985 Eldorado. This one, while excellent to own, has been a little disappointing on gas mileage. My '97 D'Elegance averaged 30 MPH on the highway and this one is lucky to get 27. All in all, I'm pleased and wouldn't hesitate to trust the brand.

My 2nd DeVille
By zman on 05/05/05 18:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan D'elegance 4dr Sedan

I bought this DeVille with 137,000 miles on the odometer. I can attest that I am loving this car. It had great care, and still does. I get great mileage of upwards of 34 mpg @ 67 mph. Who else can do that with 275hp and 4,000lbs? It is roomy and elegant, yet I can get up and go when needed. I am looking forward to my 3rd Cadillac someday.

My dream car
By Jim on 02/04/05 15:37 PM (PST)

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan D'elegance 4dr Sedan

When I retired I bought my dream car, 1998 Cadillac DeVille. What a nightmare it has turned out to be. I aquired the car with 43,000 miles on it. At 47,900 miles I replaced the battery for $133.76 and a battery cable for $129.38 parts and $272.00 labor. At 49,600 miles I replaced the spark plugs for $84.40 parts and $205.49 labor as well as the AC compressor for $669.30 parts and $401.49 labor. At 61,000 miles I replaced the HVAC blower motor for $348.60 parts and $81.48 labor. This labor cost was low since I refused to use a Cadillac dealer. Cadillac OEM parts costs and Cadillac dealer labor cost are extremely expensive. I will be selling my dream car since I refuse to be victimized anymore.

Cadillac DeVille
By Alane Laatz on 10/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Cadillac DeVille Sedan D'elegance 4dr Sedan

It is a very quiet ride for a used car. I bought it with 54,000 miles. Some problems with the computer system, but it was repaired in a timely matter last week. Fuel economy is good.