Used 1997 Cadillac DeVille Concours Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Cadillac DeVille - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific DeVille model:

The Best Caddy
By limoman

1997 Cadillac DeVille Concours 4dr Sedan

The DeVille Concours is the clear winner if you want that full luxury feel, but with agility. It is a flawless car in terms of maintenance and quality. I wish someone now could make such a luxurious interior.

Lemons
By Fletch

1997 Cadillac DeVille Concours 4dr Sedan

My DeVille had roughly 900 miles and the front tire rim and all went flying across 3 lanes of traffic. I bought the car new off the dealer's show room floor and its title stated 3 miles, but the odometer read 35 miles. I drove it for less than 5 minutes when we noticed a vibration in the front end, took the car back 5 or 6 times then the front tire came flying off. I wanted paper work for all the times the car was back in the shop, but the dealer wouldn't give it to us since they KNEW for a fact they sold us a lemon. With 35 miles on the car somnone from the dealer had to know there was a vibration and the car had flaws, also a new car should have 5 miles or less when titled we got hosed big time.

We got screwed. Cadillac should have replaced this car, no ifs, ands, or buts. This is what is called a "field failure" which means GM has to address the problem, they did they send letters out to other new car buyers to let them know of the problem, however we never got one.

My First Cadillac
By Mark

1997 Cadillac DeVille Concours 4dr Sedan

The '97 DeVille has a very comfortable ride. It is also very reliable. It has a great sound system -- Bose comes standard, I guess. Its gas mileage is actually decent, considering how big a car it is. If I drive "sensibly," I can get about 28 mpg on the freeway and about 18-19 on city streets.

The reliability, performance and comfort. I'm a large man with a large family, and we can all take worry-free road trips much more comfortably than we have in the past.

I had to replace the alternator -- not bad news for having 109,000 miles. But, it is located at the bottom of the engine block, and very difficult to remove/replace. The last alternator I replaced took my about an hour and a half. This one took me over 4 hours.

1997 Cadillac
By BobHem

1997 Cadillac DeVille Concours 4dr Sedan

Excellant Quality. Little trouble. Glad latter years required regular unleaded rather tha premium.

Needs improvement
By ferrman

1997 Cadillac DeVille Concours 4dr Sedan

Cadillac has a long way to go to be considered in the same class as European automobiles. The soft ride and mediocre handling, although improved, do not bode well for Cadillac to seriously compete with other luxury marques. Dealers do not seem very helpful, which is unfortunate, since I've spent quite a bit of time there.

Excellent features and standard equipment for the money.

Overall build quality must be upgraded, and parts/service prices lowered somewhat as resale value is terrible.

• SUV