1997 Cadillac DeVille D'elegance Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Cadillac Deville - Consumer Reviews

1997 DeVille Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific DeVille model:

Sort Reviews by

Awesome
By youngcaddy

1997 Cadillac DeVille D'elegance 4dr Sedan

Im 17 and my grandfather gave me my 97 cadillac deville d'elegance. defenitly an awesome car especially for my age. i use it for speed really. very fast. very comfortable. and the backseat is like a bed ;)

Favorite Features

Northstar v8.

Good As New
By tazchi

1997 Cadillac DeVille D'elegance 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 2 and a half months. I replaced my 88 Seville for this car. Very good styling,everyone really likes this car. Ride is very smooth. Seats are very comfortable. Great car to cruise around town in or great for a extended road trip. Had a 96 Lincoln Town Car Cartier, It in no way compares to this car! Better styling and better resell value.

Favorite Features

Driver Information Center. Auto dimming rear view mirror and auto dim outside mirrors (night time driving is so much better) Comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Why did GM require the passenger side door to be unlocked (if you dont have your keyless remote) to disarm the security system? This is especially bad in pouring rains. It's also a headache period if you ask me. Better quality sound for stereo.

A good deal for the $$$
By gm owner 4 ever

1997 Cadillac DeVille D'elegance 4dr Sedan

I bought this car last year and have only put about 5K miles on it since. It is used mainly for long trips. The car only has 74k miles on it. I have had no problems other than the power ant stopped working and now I have to hand wash the car. Very smooth ride and strong V-8. I paid $4100 for the car and never looked back.

Favorite Features

V-8 power, size (safe), smooth ride. Old school Caddy just like Dad bought when I was a kid.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is poor around town. But it is a big heavy safe car.

Caddy
By MRD

1997 Cadillac DeVille D'elegance 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Cadillac DeVille rides well and tracks perfectly. It is a very comfortable car, especially for the driver.

Favorite Features

Lumbar support, Northstar, heating and cooling controls, and the automatic mirrors (darken with light).

Suggested Improvements

Brakes, they tend to be jerky due to the roaters not wearing evenly.

Enjoyed this car
By stur2dog

1997 Cadillac DeVille D'elegance 4dr Sedan

Very good car, purchased new.just sold it at 80,000 mile.Car has classy appeal, secure ride. did have to replace alternator at 70,000 miles. On 3 occassions after driving in summer with A/C going , car unexpectly cut of while slowing down vehicle . First occurance in 98, and twice this year. Service could never duplicate problem. In spite of this I Personally like this car better than the recently purchased 2004 Model.

Favorite Features

automatic brake release, and trunk closer. Heated lumbar seat, controls on steering column.

Suggested Improvements

Dent resistant door panels, got freguent door nicks in parking lots, also better debris resistant glass in windshield, twice on hwy, rocks damaged windshield.

Get the extented warranty used carI
By Stylist Jo

1997 Cadillac DeVille D'elegance 4dr Sedan

I love my car. I owned a Cadillac before this one and it saved my life. Will never own a compact car. Too many SUV's and I travel long distances. This car is a dream for travel and other passengers are comfortable in the back seat. Great features and it is a fun car to drive.Looks great and has great curb appeal. I agree with other reviewer...buy used, crazy to buy new. I did have to replace the transmission in 2000 and other minor things that were covered in my extended warranty. Worth the extra money and has paid for itself.

Favorite Features

I love the Bose sound system and heated seats. On Star is also a life saver.

Suggested Improvements

In this day and age gas milage could be much improved. Can't wait for all cars to get 30 and better. I think the planet and air deserve better without having to give up the comfort and safety of a big car

not happy
By AMLIE

1997 Cadillac DeVille D'elegance 4dr Sedan

At just over 50,000 mi got antifreeze in oil. No warrantee help from Cadillac. Burned 1 Qt oil in 1,500 mi. Installed used engine w 22.000 mi. Burns qt oil in 1,500 mi. Replaced water pump, replaced 1 plug, wire, and coil 2x. replaced all plugs and wires. Load leveler not working. presently 104,000 ni.

Appearance

Suggested Improvements

Better warrantee