1997 Cadillac DeVille - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific DeVille model:
Junk
By scharfenberg on 09/01/08 01:21 AM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

I would never by a Cadillac again. I've replaced the motor due to head bolts stripped out of motor. They make an 800 dollar kit to fix the problem but it did not work due to already being done the wrong way. If I were you stay away from 96 to 2000 or you will have a bill of 3500 dollars like i did. If you're thinking about buying one I have this to say to you. It's the biggest pile of junk there is and if I were gm i would be ashamed of putting my name on it.

'97 DeVille
By Richard Peck on 07/26/08 14:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

So far this has been a wonderful car. The fit & finish is very good. It's a fun to drive car. The ride is very good for a 11 year old luxury car. About the only option this car lacks, is a moonroof. Everything on this car works. I've heard a lot of bad things about the Northstar engine. I find it an excellent powertrain. If you keep it from getting overheated, it should last almost forever.

'97 deville
By cp on 06/02/07 08:47 AM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

I loved this car. Luxury, good mileage 19-21 mpg. Excellent ride. I'm not a kid, and I'm not in a hurry, I'm into comfort. We live 20 miles in a rural setting in California. We drive a lot. I also have a Prius for my sales job, 45 plus mpg, 40,000 a year, but when we go out, we always take the DeVille.

Great used car for the money
By bobkat on 04/15/06 10:54 AM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

For those of you looking to pick up a reliable, safe and comfortable used sedan need look no further than the '97 through '99 Cadillac DeVille. It has all the luxury features you want and then some... The Northstar V8 engine is powerful and gives that nice "V8" growl when you give it some throttle. The sunroof (moonroof?) is a nice feature and is very quiet when open - even at highway speeds. The CD changer in the trunk is great! It has power everything and the most intelligent lighting system I've ever seen in a car. It turns the headlights on when needed and somehow even knows when to dim the dashboard lights and when not to - amazing. The '97 DeVille gives you excellent value for your used car dollar.

'97 Cadillac Sedan Deville
By Waylon Burks on 02/28/06 03:42 AM (PST)

1997 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

My 1997 Cadillac Seville is very comfortable. I like the quite ride with the adjustable seats and lumbar. It gets excellent gas milage for a luxury car. I averaged 24.5 MPG with my sales travel which was mostly highway. The Bose sound system, fingertip controls, and power to spare - to mention a few things - make this a very stable and dependable vehicle. I now have 175,000 miles on the car with only minor repairs.

Cadillac DeVille
By Tim Wilhelm on 06/04/05 12:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

I now have 135,000 miles and have been fairly satisfied with this car. Major problems did not start until I had reached 100,000 miles. After that time something "broke" about every 3 months. The biggest complaint is with fit and finish - a lack of detail in the interior design.

So far...so good
By Brian Braine on 02/01/05 15:53 PM (PST)

1997 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

I traded a junky 2003 Cadilac Eldorado in 03/2004 for a 1997 DeVille with 57,000 miles. I am at 63,000 miles so far and am happy compared to my Eldorado experience for a modest outlay of $5,000 plus an Eldorado with 97,000 miles and blown head gasket that would have cost $1,900 to repair.

Great Car
By trevman on 12/26/04 23:13 PM (PST)

1997 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

The 1997 Cadillac DeVille is a great car. I have had four Cadillac DeVilles to date and I have loved them all. They are extremely comfortable and look very elegant. The pearl red with the tan top has always been my favorite color combo!

Decent Car-"Service Engine Soon"
By marty m on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

A really nice car even though it does not leave you feeling warm and fuzzy with the "service engine soon" light on, all of the time. I would not buy this car new but as a used vehicle, not bad. Tremendous highway vehicle. Great around town for a big car. Headlight problems after car wash ( what about the rain?). I like it but this car needs kid glove treatment to last. Not a car to throw into corners at 100 mph. Actually mine says "fuel cutoff" at 112 mph. Oh well, so much for the open highway. I would buy another one.

VERY HAPPY SO FAR !!!!
By losdos711 on 06/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

BOUGHT USED IN 2002 I HAVE NOT HAD ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS AS OF YET. HAD TO REPLACE THE ALTERNATOR AND HAVE PUT OVER 31.000 MILES ON IT IN 2 AND HALF YEARS. DROVE TO TEXAS FROM OHIO TWICE AND ONCE TO SOUTH CAROLINA. COMFORTABLE AND FUN TO DRIVE