Used 1996 Cadillac DeVille Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Cadillac Deville - Consumer Reviews

1996 Cadillac DeVille

View reviews for a specific DeVille model:

Most Helpful|
Awesome Ride
By Lee

1996 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car with less than 10k on it and have put nearly 75k on it since then. The comfort and power are exceptional, as is the gas mileage. At nearly 24-28mpg, there is not another comparable vehicle even made today. No outrageous problems or issues with anything. It still turns heads and blows doors off of "wannabee's". Absolutely Awesome Ride. Hope to keep it another 10 years!

Favorite Features

The Northstar, of course. Also, the comfort. It's like sitting in your favorite Lay-Z-Boy, but going 70mph.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that I wish Cadillac would have done was to add a few more 'cubby-holes'. You know, places to put stuff (iPod, Cellphone...).

good but not great
By boweezy57

1996 Cadillac DeVille Concours 4dr Sedan

has good power but driving mostly around suburban area I get around 12-13 mpg. I have 140k miles on it and have a traction control light on for no reason. Also, service transmission because of a bad sensor and its not worth the money to fix because the transmission would have to be dropped out. Otherwise, I love the car.

1996 Deville Issues
By newportbill

1996 Cadillac DeVille Concours 4dr Sedan

Inherited this vehicle from my in-laws and have spent the last few months getting in working order. Oil leaks that are cost-prohibitive to repair along with occasional over-heating (despite flushing of cooling system). Also, only about 10-12 MPG in city despite several fuel system treatments. Finally, electronic fuel display that jumps up and down several gallons within minutes.

Favorite Features

Was able to fix a/c with an "in the can" recharge/sealant. Plenty of power but a very soft ride. New tires help.

Suggested Improvements

Oil leaks/overheating major issues but doubt GM cares anymore.

1996 base - Great car
By don2037

1996 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

Great car, creme color, which is interesting, depending on lighting situation can appear white with tinge of pink, egg-shell, or light tan. Beautiful car, although the front end could have been a little designed more distinctive, kind of reminds me of a chevy with a cadillac emblem. lol. Runs great, good acceleration and breaking, I like cluster guages, right in front of your eyes, no looking all over dash for emergency lignts, wonderful seating, posh; There's just something about a cadillac, it's hard to verbalize, but you know when you are in one, that special feeling you get, especially with these older models. Very easy to drive and park. Maintence is expensive.

Favorite Features

Smooth, posh car! Easy to navigate. I really like this car. It's a Cad, what else is there to say...

Suggested Improvements

Maintence: very expensive. Granted I've only had it a week, but I had a cadillac trained mechanic look it over, couldn't find anything really wrong with the car, but I needed the 50,000 mile check up, Cost over $600.00. The car has 120,000 miles on it. I've put less than 200 miles on it. We'll see how it goes. I look forward to driving it.

Major Repair Experience
By Jim

1996 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

I bought with about 58k miles. Very good ride and fuel mileage; strong and plenty of power. Seemed the perfect car until 68k miles. Between 68k miles and 72k miles replaced transmission, air struts, and fuel injection pump. I rated down the reliability due to the mechanical failures, but now repaired, I am back to trusting it's dependability. The problems were caught before breaking down on the road. Transmission metal and seal fragments were found on filter and oil change; struts were flat and wearing rear tires severely and unevenly, and; fuel injection was causing erratic and surging RPM, and a couple stalls.

Favorite Features

I like the tireless comfort of driving long distance and gas mileage of the NorthStar. The size and handling give a feeling of safety.

Suggested Improvements

None. This particular car seemed to have major mechanical failures not typical of Cadillac.