Used 1990 Cadillac DeVille Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Cadillac Deville - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific DeVille model:

Good American car
By Markusa60

1990 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

I like Cadillacs because they hold up well. I have owned 3 and all three have done well. One went to 100,000 miles with only a exhaust repair and fuel injector repair. Now as far as foreign cars. My BMW 5 series 99 model went to 100,000 miles and by that time I had spent over 7,000 dollars on repairs, not including normal maint! Same thing happened with a Jag I owned. These foreign cars also cost more to own, purchase, so don't go telling me they are cheaper and hold up better. Regarding my now gone BMW, yes the engine and ride was great, but everything else was junk after 50,000 miles. Those are the facts I learned about domestic and foreign cars I have owned.

Why I bought a Cadillac.
By hattrickleak

1990 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

When I bought my 1990 Cadillac Sedan deVille in 2000 it had about 101,000 miles on it. It now has about 198,000 miles on it. With the exception of the parts that eventually wear out, it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. It still gets around 28 MPG, (it got about 30 MPG when I bought it). The only complaint I have is the accessibility of the spark plugs but that is a moot point when considering the amount of I've spent on maintenance.

roll in style
By don sorello

1990 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

Great car. I paid 1 grand 6 months ago for it for a starter car. It sat in some guy's drive way for 2 years, I put a new battery in it and it fired right up after I cleaned all the birds nest and hornet nest from it. just took it on a 3000 mile round trip and ran great with 125,000 miles on it. got about 24-26 miles to the gallon and get about 19 around town. It seems to lose hub caps and trim every time i drive after i take out of the shop.

Favorite Features

glades over bumps, fast and smooth acceleration, trunk closes it self.

Suggested Improvements

New audio, mine could use more cup holders

My 1990 Cadillac Deville
By Tommy

1990 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

One sweet car. I average 25.8 miles to the gallon. Preventative maintenance is key. I clean my injectors and throttle once every six weeks. I simply remove the air filter and spray about half a can of throttle or fuel injector cleaner inside while the engine is running. My car idles flat/no misses. I spray inside the PCV valve, also. Brand new ACDelco throttles are available on ebay for $99.00. Relace motor mounts to restore engine performance. Keep the EGR valve clean or replace and only used distill water for coolant changes. I have 145,000 miles on mine and it performs and rides great. Ensure all vacuum hoses are leak free and on tight. This car will last 250,000 miles easy.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior designs. Best leather in a reasonably priced or newer car. Classy look. fantastic value. Outperforms many new cars. nearly 30 mPG on long trips. Amsoil engine flush restored pereformace and mileage. Only leave in for 10 minutes and immediately change oil and filter.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more horsepower and slightly firmer ride. A quality CD player would have been a nice standard feature. Dirty EGR valves, vacuum hose leaks and gummed throttles cause poor performance and gas mileage. Worn motor mounts will make you think the transmission is bad, when its fine.

Reliabilty unsurpassed
By Mark

1990 Cadillac DeVille 4dr Sedan

I inherited this car when my sweet mom passed on. I never worried about her when she was in this car and that's a good feeling.The only car I ever new this reliable I still have.My 59 super88 oldsmobile.Those however are hard to come by today but you can find a 90 Caddy at a good price and if you take care of it it will take care of you and it will do it inexpensively.They are so much fun to drive also.You`ll never go back to a little car if thats what you have now..Use premium fuel,it`s overall cheaper and I bet you`ll be driving it still, maybe even when it`s 50years old...

Favorite Features

Ride and handling is unexpectedly great,that is if you`ve never been in one..You can go so quick you`ll end up driving slow as my son says.Try it,you`ll like it!

Suggested Improvements

Just up grade the radio to a CD player.