Used 2014 Cadillac CTS Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Cadillac CTS - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CTS model:

Fun Fun fun
By Tennant

2014 Cadillac CTS Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Super fun sexy vehicle.

Not my pappy's caddy
By John

2014 Cadillac CTS Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I've owned my '14 CTS 3.6 Premium for a year now and can clearly judge this car.
Pros - incredible handling for a sedan, very solid acceleration for NA V6, GREAT braking, impeccable interior (good or better than ANY other mid lux in class hands down)
Cons - performance is good, not great (understand it's not the VSport, however), resale value is AWFUL (was intrigued by ATS-V and dealership was going to barely pay off and I got an incredible deal on car...VERY disappointing. Lastly, the sound of the exhaust leaves something to be desired...
Overall this car is absolutely fantastic. Handles, drives and feels like a very well put together sporty mid-size luxury and clearly is at level of MB E350 level or BMW 5 series...tested both and CTS beat both out in nearly every level. This Cadillac "move" is only going to get better and I'm excited as I hope I never am interested in a german car again. If I could buy the new CTS-V it would be mine but the price is Porche 911 Turbo level...yikes.

Caddy, well done and worth the buy for anyone considering a mid-size luxury sedan. Great car and many people are impressed by the car's beauty and style.

Absolutely love this car
By JohnnyBos

2014 Cadillac CTS Standard 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my all-wheel drive CTS last year (2015) - it was a 2014 model year that was still on the lot, so very happy with the deal. For the past 15 years I drove only German cars, BMW and Volkswagen. The pros and cons for the CTS:
Pros:
--It manages the amazing trick of feeling substantial while also being light and agile. Comparing the aluminum body of this car (including doors and trunk) to a BMW 5-series steel body, you realize how much fat and bloat you're carrying around with the BMW. It shows up especially in the handling of the CTS... it's an absolute racehorse, and a lean and agile one. Yet the doors close with a very satisfying "thud," same as you find on the German cars.
--Love the exterior design and (almost all) of the interior... it's amazing. Very sensual and aggressive, sleek.
--On the highway, the open road, it handles better than a 5 series BMW. Great sound dampening, great control. Just a heck of a car to drive.
--Some people complain about the CUE entertainment system, but I actually find it pretty simple to use. It's a million times easier to use than the old "I-Drive" systems on the BMW.
--The materials used in the car, the leathers and wood trim, etc., are all top notch. I was recently inside a BMW M5 - which cost over $100k - and the BMW didn't have anything nicer in terms of interior materials.
--On the inside of the driver's door is a round sticker which you won't find on any BMW, Audi, Lexus, or Mercedes sedan - that sticker says "Made in Michigan, USA". And as someone who cares about our country and our workers, that's the ultimate status symbol. When Detroit makes a killer car, you can feel great about buying it for a lot of reasons, including where it's made.
Cons:
--The CTS heat seater heats up a little bit slowly and doesn't get the seat very hot, even at max temperature. The seat heaters on my German cars would burn your tail if you left them on too high / too long. As someone living in the Midwest I'd prefer a hotter and quicker seat heater. (The heated steering wheel does heat up quick and hot, however).
--I'm not in love with the design of the steering wheel - could be a little simpler and more elegant looking. But other than that, and a very small Onstar button panel on the ceiling, the rest of the interior is BEAUTIFUL. It's sleek and tight and very well put together.
--I would physical buttons which allow you to adjust direction where the air flows in the ventilation system (to feet, to windshield, etc.). The CTS has buttons which only appear on the screen if you increase/decrease the volume of air flow. Or you can go through multiple screens to adjust it. Same with AC... there's no physical button to press for AC... there are other ways to get AC to come out, which show up on the screen, but I prefer to have a direct physical button for it.
--At very, very low speeds... like when the car is just rolling forward of its own power at 3 or 4 mph, without pressing the gas, it feels a little torquey and uneven. Living in the city, you often end up kind of rolling forward a bit in traffic or a parking lot. My VW and BMW were more smooth at that super low speed.
That's about it... other than that, it's a totally amazing car. I recommend it highly to all my friends, colleagues, and other people. It's a fantastic car and is VERY underrated.

Let's get this straight...
By lajollaboy

2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Being an avid enthusiast and owner of my '14 Vsport Prem I have read and viewed about every review article and video on the internet. With some of the reviews, I truly wonder if they are driving the same car I am! So, for the format of this review, I'm going to pick out those things I commonly read with which I disagree - both good and bad.

1. "Fit and finish not as good as German competitors -" This is the one I really don't get at all. People complain of cheap plastic and the like... I honestly don't know where they are getting this from. My car is rock solid - from squeeks and rattles to the feel of the controls. The only thing I've had problems with is that the glove compartment which actually has two latches (!) sometimes only catches one of the latches. But that's it.

2. "CUE is terrible." Cue is designed to be a highly customizable owner experience which for somebody (like a car journalist) who drives the car for a day (or even a week (or even shares the car with other journalists as part of a long term tester)) may find it frustrating. But once you do have it set up and understand how to get to things, it's really a very well designed system. You can get to most of the things you need from the steering wheel and view your changes in the instrument pod (as opposed to the middle screen) which I would much prefer to having to reach for a joystick and look to the middle screen every time. With that said, despite being able to do most things from the steering wheel, finger prints are still a problem as noted by many, especially if you have a frequent passenger who doesn't like your music (Zoe!!!).

3. "The touch sensitive buttons are unrepsonsive." ... like the slider volume control. This is just patently not true. The metallic guides for proper finger placement are very useful. I use these buttons hundreds of times a day and have never been frustrated by them.

4. "Doesn't have features that a similar model from the German three would have." This is laughable. For every feature the Cadillac doesn't have at a price level, it provides 10 others that the competition doesn't have.

5. "The interior is tacky." Nope. It's awesome. Its just not 80's vintage matte black with random dials, buttons and switches all over the place [sarcasm]. Most of the interior is leather and natural wood. I mean for God's sake, my THE HORN ON MY STEERING WHEEL is made of LEATHER! I love it!

Now the bad...

1. "Incredible power train!" While the car is crazy fast, the engine can feel a little choppy through the rev band if you wind it out. The throttle is WAY too sensitive and the transmission takes a lot of getting used to and even then some of the shifts are a bit abrupt. You'll get used to it but until then you and your passengers will have some sore necks! :)

2. "Incredible ride and handling!" Oh yes it does! ... at least after you change the tires from the PZeros that it comes with. Those things are made of cement!

3 "Turns a lot of heads." No, it does not.

All and all, I love my car! It's fast, comfortable and the styling is so cool (inside and out), it's unbelievable!

Cadillac IS back like never before
By Richard Domingues Boscovich

2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

OK. I grew up lusting after BMW's 3 & 5 series, and love what Audi has done with itself over the past several years. I am not your typical Cadillac buyer by any stretch of the imagination. I love Formula 1, soccer ( football everywhere else) and any auto sport with the exclusion of NASCAR. Having said that, I have always kept an open mind all things automotive. I regularly test drive cars from numerous manufactures, and judge cars by their merits, not brand reputation. So when I wanted a performance sedan, I tested all of them.

The CTS v Sport is, hands down, the best handling sport sedan period. Not BMW, Jag, Lexus.. nothing. The quality, feel and finish is excellent. Drive it!

Handling. The magnetic ride suspension is magical. Now I understand why Ferrari licenses it from GM. Brakes, I have never experienced braking on a sedan as linear, progressive and fade free. Steering, speechless. Now, the powertrain. Flexible and torque galore! Granted, the 3.6 is still not as smooth as the BMW's, but the power and torque make it for it as does the lovely roar of the engine. Now for the interior. Finally, an interior which closes the gap with the Germans and Asian manufactures. Great quality wit a very distinct American flair. Not a cold barren feeling. Nice. And the content per price ratio is excellent. And the audio; great!

Not much here. I know people hate the CUE system. Not sure why? It takes some time to learn, but once you get it, it is magical. The only issue I have sometimes is the voice recognition. It takes time, but the more you use it the better it "learns.' Take time to read the manual and play with it whilst parked to get the feeling. Once you do, it will be easy. There are two small interior pieces that I feel needs to be upgraded. The plastic cover up the B-pillar is not up to par. No idea why not. Small issue, but one which should be addressed. Also, the Summer tires. I know that they are what contributes to the amazing handling; however, maybe an option to get HP all seasons? That's it!