Used 2009 Cadillac CTS Consumer Reviews - 80 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Cadillac CTS - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CTS model:

One Year Update Review
By MJLx2

2009 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan AWD w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

One year and 17,000 miles ago I bought my '09 CTS. What a phenomenal car. Fun to drive, not a single problem, and still a head turner. Highway mileage has averaged 26 - 29 mpg on road trips - using regular gas. Truly a terrific car. The AWD was outstanding throughout last year's Chicago winter. The car is still tight as the day I bought it. The 304 hp engine is quick and powerful with a deep growl when you jump on it. My previous car was a Lexus ES 330 and before that an Acura TL. Without question this is a much more fun to drive and stylish car with the same reliability and quality of the competition. Would I buy this car again? - without hesitation.

The interior and exterior design. Build quality and reliability. Performance. Low cost to own. FUN to drive. Sporty while retaining a premium car's luxury and class.

Fitting two sets of golf clubs in the trunk is a bit of a squeeze.

A world-class offering from Cadillac
By RandyL

2009 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan AWD w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Given all of the incentives to purchase a new car, I decided to replace my '02 V6 Honda Accord EX, a fine car that I found to be extremely boring. When I read the reviews of the new CTS I was impressed. When I drove the car I was even more so. Now, after 9K miles I am comfortable in saying that it is everything I expected it to be. It is truly a world-class car, and GM & Cadillac should be justifiably proud. They have produced a distinctively American entry level luxury sedan with performance, style, and quality. There is no reason to add the phrase "for an American car" when comparing it to Euro or Japanese competitors. It's vehicles like the CTS that are critical to GM's recovery.

Ride quality, performance, distinctive exterior styling, and first-class interior styling. Corners ferociously. BIG horse power from a naturally aspirated V6. I get to say "Damn right it's a Cadillac!" a lot.

As other have mentioned, it is lacking in interior storage space. There's no sun-glass storage area and the center console and glove compartment are quite small. Visibility out the side mirrors is very limited, with some serious blind spots. I added small convex mirrors to both and it's better.

Transmission Failure - Unhappy Owner
By Jerry Schofield

2009 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Expect this from your dealer and cadillac. If your automatic tranny fails like ours, cadillac will have you wait two weeks for the parts and a failed attempt to rebuild your transmission at least twice before they deem it appropriate to replace the transmission. Our new CTS spent 20 days of the first 29 days of ownership in the shop. As a "valued" Cadillac owner you'll spend dollars for nickel and dime service. The new "GM" is just as bad as the old "GM" or worse. No matter how great the car looks or drives, you won't enjoy ownership if you're treated like this. I do have regrets about buying a Cadillac. Chances are, you will too. Shame on you "Cadillac"!

The car looks good, but as we've discovered, looks aren't everything! All this technology with ambient lighting and head lights that follow the steering is wonderful if you don't mind the service issues. We're not happy and just can't encourage anyone to go out and buy one. Sorry!

Take care of your owners if you want them to keep buying your product We are first time and last time Cadillac owners. Oh, I almost forgot, what ever happened to auto volume control on premium radios? Constant volume control is required to overcome ambient noises. What a pain!

Better Than I Ever Thought!
By Cooldude

2009 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan AWD w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

When I decided to buy a car, I wanted to stay domestic. I did look at the foreign models, but the only thing that stood out for me was BMW. I have owned GM before and have been overall impressed with their designs and comfort. What originally lured me in was the promise of excellence in design and my parents being Cadillac owners, but I was sold at first test drive. Love the car, love everything about it!! I'm afraid that between the customer service from Corporate Cadillac and the quality of the vehicle, I am now a Cadillac owner for life! Oh...FYI... I have read reviews about road noise... three words: sport-tuned- suspension... go back to that Lexus if you don't like it!

Pop-up Nav... Awesome!! I-pod docking station.... Awesome- again! Interior design is second to none! Did I mention this thing hauls butt...for a V6!! Competitive Racing mode Rocks!

More options standard. Front Seats could stand to be a little wider, but not too big of deal.

My first Cadillac
By Ltdc

2009 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I must say that so far it has been a mostly pleasant experience. I have the red CTS and it does draw it share of raves from family and strangers. One draw back I noticed immediately was the width of the A pillars in conjunction with the side view mirrors makes for a sizable blind spot. Backing the car up is a bit of a guessing game since you can't see the rear deck. You can't count on the computer to give accurate gas mileage readings. On the instant readout the mileage jumps all over the place including into the 40 + mpg range. The average MPG was showing 30.2 at 65 MPH without the AC on. If it was really getting that kind of mileage I think it would have been show on the EPA estimate.

The overall impression of the cabin makes for a pleasant driving experience. The ambient lighting is a nice touch. You do have to have the dash lights set to bright to fully appreciate it. You can get used to the XM radio without the advertisements and useless banter.

Reduced blind spots. The 2 cup holders end up used for storage since they are in a storage area with a cover. A fold down rear seat. The cargo net is high and gets in the way when placing items in the trunk. A light in the engine compartment. Front cowl is 4 1/4" off ground. Should be fun in snow.