Used 2009 Cadillac CTS Base Sedan Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan

View reviews for a specific CTS model:

Great Car for the Price
By Greg

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2009 CTS in 2013 with 69,000 miles on it at the time. I drive the car daily (40 miles or so), cross country twice (2000+ miles each time), and frequently on road trips of 200 miles or more. It handles well on the highway and the ride is smooth. Cabin is spacious and quiet for an older vehicle, and comfortably seats me and three others. I have not had any problems with the car mechanically though I frequently ride it hard and put it away wet. Since it hit 75,000 miles I've been changing the oil every 7,000 miles and using nothing but Valvoline High Mileage Full Synthetic. The engine is powerful and it will outrun most sedans on the road, both 0-60 and in top speed... believe me, I've done it. The only electrical issue the car had was in the headlight wiring harness, which had a plug rust out due to a leak in the passenger side headlight. I attempted replacing the headlights first, believing the issue was in the passenger side light itself, but when both stock and aftermarket replacements (don't ever buy them, they are terrible and not nearly as bright as stock) continued to have issues, I tracked the problem to the harness. $114.00 was the total cost and it took me about an hour and a half to install (I know very little about this kind of stuff). Not bad if you ask me. The car now has 114,556 on it and still runs, shifts, and takes the corners like it did when I first got it. I live off a pretty windy road, and at night when traffic is non-existent, I enjoy taking the "20 MPH MAX" corners at 60+. This car sticks around the bends and makes me confident enough to sling it back and forth with ease. Only other change I made was the addition of 4 new tires (cost $800) at 100,000 miles (still had factory rubber up until then) and wiper blades every 2 years or so. As of right now factory breaks still pass state inspection, as does everything else. I am very satisfied with how this car drives. I only wish it had a few more features on it, but it's a base model so I digress. Total cost in 2013 for the car was $19,995, and I've put probably less than $1500 into it in my time owning it. I'm happy with that. One last thing. Was at a dead stop and got rear ended by a Camry traveling in excess of 40 MPH. I drove away from that scene with nothing but moderate rear end damage, and a bent exhaust pipe (his insurance paid $7,400 for complete repairs including an entire new exhaust system, rear bumper, trunk lid, and tail lights). The Camry's engine was literally sitting on the ground. Sorry fellas, but American steel still beats Japanese plastic.

2009 CTS
By Joan David

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Sharp but expensive to repair which I have had to do frequently. Also, headlight problems and hard to get any support with a recalled wiring harness which now they are trying to say it's discontinued maybe to avoid covering the cost on a recalled item? My advice, sell the car quickly and never buy another one. That is exactly my next move. I have had this car five years and thought after I paid it off it would last another five years. WRONG! Can't afford the repairs and hoping I can get rid of it.

Cheap plastic upholstery
By don N

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have a Cadillac since 1962 and this 2009 srs is the first one that I have had that didn't have real leather upholstery. I never thought about it at the time of purchase but I do now! I paid almost $40,000 for this car and at 15,500 miles the plastic upholstery on the drivers seat is already starting to stretch and fray. I'm not a big person at 165 lb. So it's not my size thats the problem its the cheap plastic crap they used for the seat covering. Not a bit of leather on these seats at all. What ever you do don't settle for anything less than leather. Remember Cadillac guarantee doesn't cover your upholstery. Gm should be out of business settling for this cheap upholstery material for a cad.

Does anyone look at these? especially the Cadillac division of GM. Also new buyers also.

Put real leather on the seats and not this plastic crap. For the price of a Cadillac leather seats are expected! Doors should be completely flush with each other when closed. Rear bumper should be much sturdier ford backed into Cad-Ford plastic bumper no marks Cads bumper bent and paint cracked.

Love my CTS
By cwilson

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I had been looking at the CTS since 2007, but the reports I read did not convince me it was the car for me. This year, however, everything I read was encouraging so I took the plunge and have very happy I did. My CTS is by far the best car I have ever owned. It does not get the best gas mileage, but that's not why I bought it. It is fun to drive, very comfortable, and the perfect size. It is the best looking car on the road (in my humble opinion!) and handles effortlessly. My next car will be another CTS if Cadillac maintains the integrity of the car.

Overall appearance, ride, comfort, and handling.

Back up camera would be about the only feature I can think that should be added.

2009 Cadillac CTS 4dr sedan 3.6L
By jon

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Previously owned Mercedes Benz E420, BMW 328i, BMW 325i, Lexus LS 430. Never thought about ever owning a Caddy. Was considering buying BMW 525i or Merc E350, but felt that it is too common. Finally, gave the CTS a shot when I saw it in the showroom. Beautiful cutting edge design on exterior and interior and what an incredible driving experience, rival that of my previous BMW and Mercs.Way better than my Lexus in handling. Much quieter than my 2007 BMW 3 series on highway. Proof that GM can make good car if it wanted too. Highly recommend the new CTS, best bang for the money! One other bonus, dont have to use premium gasoline.

Exterior and Interior Design, Handling and Overall Performance. Turn heads everytime.