Used 2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CTS model:

2009 Cadillac CTS AWD 3.6DI - all options
By LV

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned a 2003 Toyota Corolla S (bought new until 22k when totaled), 1997 Nissan Maxima Se (used 94k, sold at 170k), 2005 Scion tc (new and sold at 177k) those three vehicles were maintain and had little to no major repairs. I sold the Scion tc and purchased a used 2009 Cadillac CTS with all factory options at 75k miles. The vehicle seemed well maintained inside, out, and mechanically. I had purchased it from a reputable BMW dealership for $18k. Here are the things that have gone wrong with the car. 1. Right Rear Knuckle bushing needs replacing (audible knocking sound over all bumps) *warranty 2. Front right wheel bearing needed to be replaced. *warranty 3. Rear left wheel bearing needed to be replaced. *out of warranty $528.00 4. ECM needed replacement * out of warranty $1100 5. Driveshaft needed replacement (1st time) *1200 6. Timing chains needed to be replaced around 108k *warranty under GM 120k warranty specifically for this problem otherwise a $2300 cost 7. Door handle sensor needed to be replaced on passenger door *$575 8. Auxillary water pump needed replacement $250. 9. Purge Valve needed replacement $50 part did it myself very easy to replace 10. Driveshaft failed for 2nd time, needed replacement $1200. 11. Drains for water had seeped into trunk compartment wetting all the electronics near battery. Dealership couldn't find out what the issue is, i figured it out through a forum where other CTS owners have had similar issues. *free since fixed on my own. 12. Driveshaft failed for 3rd time, needed replacement (covered under parts warranty) 13. Driverside catalytic converter failed needed replacement *$1250 14. CD/DVD player stopped working *decided not to fix it. otherwise $750. 15. Bluetooth for phone works intermittently, doesn't always pick up calls and does always hang them up. *just dealing with it 16. power lumbar seat failed and no longer works * just dealing with it otherwise $513 to fix 17. Front left wheel bearing. $528. This car was a HUGE disappointment, being it was my first luxury vehicle. Granted I bought it with 75k, i made sure full tune up was performed along with all the fluids changed (transmission, differential, transfer case, coolant) when i first purchased the vehicle. Things have failed on this car that do not fail on reliable manufactures. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GM VEHICLE EVER AGAIN. ESPECIALLY A CADILLAC. Next vehicle will be a Lexus, or even hate to say the new Genesis or Equus look good and have good reliability ratings. Too bad I really wanted to support an American brand. My car was service at Englewood Cadillac in NJ and Brogan Cadillac in Totowa, NJ. They know me by first name at both places because my car has been in there so much, along with other customers I tend to see every now and again. Lots of problems, everyone i know with a used Cadillac has a horrible experience with them. SO DISSATISFIED WITH THIS CAR, PLEASE DO NOT BUY ONE.

2009 CTS
By Joan David

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Sharp but expensive to repair which I have had to do frequently. Also, headlight problems and hard to get any support with a recalled wiring harness which now they are trying to say it's discontinued maybe to avoid covering the cost on a recalled item? My advice, sell the car quickly and never buy another one. That is exactly my next move. I have had this car five years and thought after I paid it off it would last another five years. WRONG! Can't afford the repairs and hoping I can get rid of it.

CTS 09 Review Bought Used 50,000 Miles
By zachj7

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the 09 CTS on a whim without test driving other cars which I regret partially. The 09 CTS is a nice car, looks very nice from the outside, has a respectable interior also. I wish I took a closer look at the Audi, BMW, and possibly the infiniti. My mom has a G37 which is a nicer car in my opinion. The CTS does have the image of being expensive if that is important to you. The car is very heavy but despite its weight, it is very nimble. I feel it could have a few more horses but it can pick up speed pretty well. The Gas mileage is horrible but it does take the 87 octane which is nice. That is a perk that other cars in this luxury category don't have.

Appearance Simple center display Nice for the tall guy (BTW, I am 6' 5'' and I fit comfortably)

Some of the vinyl quality could be better. Bigger trunk

make date problem
By James ODunn

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Depending on whether you got yours early or late in year makes a huge difference, the early months that year of 2010 where horrible and the later month models were better made parts. Labor and design on some parts to me at Cadillac is the problem...

AWD if it works after 30,000 miles.

plastic consoles, drive train parts, transmission parts, and ignitions! Hey but its a cadillac right? wrong. i can put a suede seat on a toilet too...

2009 nightmare
By jdpax16

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car about 2 years. While under warranty it was awesome. Now at 52,000 miles it has needed timing chains, and now a whole new tranny and transfer case. One owner,52k miles. This is ridiculous. I had a 1992 merc grand marquis with 176k miles that had original tranny and drivetrain. I have lost all faith in GM and their craftsmanship, quality, and customer service. Steer clear of these cars. Has now been in shop for two weeks with no end in sight. I have always been a automotive enthusiast with a deep passion for American muscle and performance but this experience has really tested my faith and trust in American auto makers

the car is gorgeous In and out with breathtaking styling and cutting edge design

reliability, quality, customer service