2009 Cadillac CTS Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Cadillac Cts - Consumer Reviews

2009 CTS Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CTS model:

Sort Reviews by

make date problem
By James ODunn

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Depending on whether you got yours early or late in year makes a huge difference, the early months that year of 2010 where horrible and the later month models were better made parts. Labor and design on some parts to me at Cadillac is the problem...

Favorite Features

AWD if it works after 30,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

plastic consoles, drive train parts, transmission parts, and ignitions! Hey but its a cadillac right? wrong. i can put a suede seat on a toilet too...

2009 nightmare
By jdpax16

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car about 2 years. While under warranty it was awesome. Now at 52,000 miles it has needed timing chains, and now a whole new tranny and transfer case. One owner,52k miles. This is ridiculous. I had a 1992 merc grand marquis with 176k miles that had original tranny and drivetrain. I have lost all faith in GM and their craftsmanship, quality, and customer service. Steer clear of these cars. Has now been in shop for two weeks with no end in sight. I have always been a automotive enthusiast with a deep passion for American muscle and performance but this experience has really tested my faith and trust in American auto makers

Favorite Features

the car is gorgeous In and out with breathtaking styling and cutting edge design

Suggested Improvements

reliability, quality, customer service

Love this CTS GM got it right !!
By cmvcts

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car since May 2009, and love it. It is fun to drive and haven't had one problem what so ever. It has 74,000 miles on it and is at the dealer today, had them check it from the front end to rear end and it needs nothing !!! Still has the factory brakes on it !! The only thing I have done to it is oil changes and one set of tires at 74,000. I love this ride, can't get over this car, runs strong, and looks great. Love the black ice paint !! Great Job GM, I will buy another one in the future !!! This car was worth every penny I spent on it !!! Hennessy Cadillac in Duluth service dept is jam up !!!

Favorite Features

Love the interior, heated and cooled seats. The car comes alive when you hit the gas pedal to the floor. Love the Black Ice paint job.

Suggested Improvements

Car needs more space for phones, cups etc....

Should have bought another truck
By fordman

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The last time I bought a GM product was 2004 and after three transmissions, swore I would never buy another. In an effort to help the US auto industry, I decided to try again. The transmission in the caddy has been slipping since purchase. The original diagnosis was a computer issue and some shims. The problem has progressed and we are headed back to the dealer again. The radio/NAV went out after 15,000 miles and brakes were replaced after a recall. Overall, the car looks good especially from the exterior. However, for nearly $50,000, I would have hoped for a car I could rely on. This ain't it!

Favorite Features

Good looks. NAV and On Star are first rate.

Suggested Improvements

Build a reliable car, please

First Time Cadillac Owner
By JohnC

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This was my first upscale car, and I've not been disappointed. Great look & feel inside & out, superior driving experience (even with base 3.6 engine). Bold exterior design and black cherry color has drawn lots of compliments. Mileage is about as expected, 17-19 mpg in mostly city driving. Seems pretty good to me for an AWD car. Like one other reviewer, I had major transmission problem about 3 mos into ownership, which eventually required total replacement and about 2 wks in the dealership. However, dealer handled great, provided free loaner CTS for the entire time, so what's to complain about? No problems since. Overall a great vehicle and certainly the best car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Exterior & interior styling, great overall driving experience. Analog clock is a classy touch. Integrated Bluetooth & iPod connection are super-convenient - I suppose most cars will have eventually, but nice to be leading the pack.

Suggested Improvements

As many have noted, rear visibility is poor, backing out of a parking space requires a lot of attention. Needs a bit more storage in front seating areas.

Cheap plastic upholstery
By don N

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have a Cadillac since 1962 and this 2009 srs is the first one that I have had that didn't have real leather upholstery. I never thought about it at the time of purchase but I do now! I paid almost $40,000 for this car and at 15,500 miles the plastic upholstery on the drivers seat is already starting to stretch and fray. I'm not a big person at 165 lb. So it's not my size thats the problem its the cheap plastic crap they used for the seat covering. Not a bit of leather on these seats at all. What ever you do don't settle for anything less than leather. Remember Cadillac guarantee doesn't cover your upholstery. Gm should be out of business settling for this cheap upholstery material for a cad.

Favorite Features

Does anyone look at these? especially the Cadillac division of GM. Also new buyers also.

Suggested Improvements

Put real leather on the seats and not this plastic crap. For the price of a Cadillac leather seats are expected! Doors should be completely flush with each other when closed. Rear bumper should be much sturdier ford backed into Cad-Ford plastic bumper no marks Cads bumper bent and paint cracked.

Love It
By NJ

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I really enjoy my CTS Black Cherry is the color. This is my second CTS, the first one I leased. But I support the US cars and Cadillac has always been a winner for me! This is the right size for females 5'3"

Favorite Features

Everything, esp. the new sunroof and the color. The color is eye catching

Suggested Improvements

none

25,000 mile review
By emquad46

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The first day out of the dealership an ignition coil failed and had to be replaced. Once fixed the car has been amazing. The road holding, acceleration and ride are on par with many sport sedans. The all wheel drive works flawlessly in snow, rain, etc. The drivers handle failed (antenna would not respond to the transmitter) last month and had to be replaced. The optional blue tint coat paint gets rave reviews where ever I go. The gas mileage averages 20.5 (80% road, 20% city).

Favorite Features

Slick NAV screen. Road handling. Design and Optional Paint job.

Suggested Improvements

Electronics need improvement still not on par with Lexus. Heads up display would be a great option.

Beautiful looking - but has issues
By Pat dp

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

gas guzzler; squealing brakes; oil consumption problem; rumbling in engine when climbing hills; replacement of brake brackets and pad at 4500 miles! Nothing but problems. Shorted out wire; car broke down within 12 hrs. of pick from dealership; had to be flat-bedded back - a big red flag from day one! Gorgeous looking car but many problems! Hard to believe that there is no "low engine" light on the dash board - what were these engineers thinking?

Favorite Features

Love the exterior lines of the car; fabulous color; comfortable interior; handles great on highway

Suggested Improvements

Installation of oil light on dash board - very important; the installation of a camera when backing up; some sight distance problem; the rear-view mirror could be larger to give driver better view.

Happy to finally buy american
By HappyCTSOwner

2009 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

i love this car. Have been a japanese fan for over 30 years becuase they built better cars but i can say that this car is built better than my Lexus. No problems to report after 9 months. I'm real happy about that:)

Favorite Features

I love the looks inside and out. Everything is placed in the right spot. I got a lot of compliments about this car.

Suggested Improvements

a little more storage up front would be nice.