Used 2009 Cadillac CTS Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Cadillac CTS - Consumer Reviews

2009 Cadillac CTS

View reviews for a specific CTS model:

Great Car to Own, But distructive side air bags!
By Craig

2009 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We loved this car and it and would recommend owning it to others. It is a great feeling, handling and looking car. The fuel economy and value far exceed expectations. BUT if your side airbags deploy like ours did when a pair of deer ran into the side of the car, the interior of the vehicle virtually self-distructs in a live saving role and totals the vehicle interior with 5K to 6 K in damage plus labor including locking down the seat and seat belts, and that is without deployment of front airbags.
The side impact we recieved left the car both driveable and the doors openable but dented and knocked out the front head light. But the side air bag deployment essentially made a case for Total Loss in insurance on vehicle with no frame, engine, electrical, power train or other auto body damage. 3500 in exterior parts and labor to fix the exterior but 12,500 in damage from the side airbags deploying. Please someone remove the hair trigger on the side airbags!

Great Car for the Price
By Greg

2009 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2009 CTS in 2013 with 69,000 miles on it at the time. I drive the car daily (40 miles or so), cross country twice (2000+ miles each time), and frequently on road trips of 200 miles or more. It handles well on the highway and the ride is smooth. Cabin is spacious and quiet for an older vehicle, and comfortably seats me and three others. I have not had any problems with the car mechanically though I frequently ride it hard and put it away wet. Since it hit 75,000 miles I've been changing the oil every 7,000 miles and using nothing but Valvoline High Mileage Full Synthetic. The engine is powerful and it will outrun most sedans on the road, both 0-60 and in top speed... believe me, I've done it. The only electrical issue the car had was in the headlight wiring harness, which had a plug rust out due to a leak in the passenger side headlight. I attempted replacing the headlights first, believing the issue was in the passenger side light itself, but when both stock and aftermarket replacements (don't ever buy them, they are terrible and not nearly as bright as stock) continued to have issues, I tracked the problem to the harness. $114.00 was the total cost and it took me about an hour and a half to install (I know very little about this kind of stuff). Not bad if you ask me. The car now has 114,556 on it and still runs, shifts, and takes the corners like it did when I first got it. I live off a pretty windy road, and at night when traffic is non-existent, I enjoy taking the "20 MPH MAX" corners at 60+. This car sticks around the bends and makes me confident enough to sling it back and forth with ease. Only other change I made was the addition of 4 new tires (cost $800) at 100,000 miles (still had factory rubber up until then) and wiper blades every 2 years or so. As of right now factory breaks still pass state inspection, as does everything else. I am very satisfied with how this car drives. I only wish it had a few more features on it, but it's a base model so I digress. Total cost in 2013 for the car was $19,995, and I've put probably less than $1500 into it in my time owning it. I'm happy with that. One last thing. Was at a dead stop and got rear ended by a Camry traveling in excess of 40 MPH. I drove away from that scene with nothing but moderate rear end damage, and a bent exhaust pipe (his insurance paid $7,400 for complete repairs including an entire new exhaust system, rear bumper, trunk lid, and tail lights). The Camry's engine was literally sitting on the ground. Sorry fellas, but American steel still beats Japanese plastic.

2009 Cadillac CTS AWD 3.6DI - all options
By LV

2009 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan AWD w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned a 2003 Toyota Corolla S (bought new until 22k when totaled), 1997 Nissan Maxima Se (used 94k, sold at 170k), 2005 Scion tc (new and sold at 177k) those three vehicles were maintain and had little to no major repairs. I sold the Scion tc and purchased a used 2009 Cadillac CTS with all factory options at 75k miles. The vehicle seemed well maintained inside, out, and mechanically. I had purchased it from a reputable BMW dealership for $18k. Here are the things that have gone wrong with the car.

1. Right Rear Knuckle bushing needs replacing (audible knocking sound over all bumps) *warranty
2. Front right wheel bearing needed to be replaced. *warranty
3. Rear left wheel bearing needed to be replaced. *out of warranty $528.00
4. ECM needed replacement * out of warranty $1100
5. Driveshaft needed replacement (1st time) *1200
6. Timing chains needed to be replaced around 108k *warranty under GM 120k warranty specifically for this problem otherwise a $2300 cost
7. Door handle sensor needed to be replaced on passenger door *$575
8. Auxillary water pump needed replacement $250.
9. Purge Valve needed replacement $50 part did it myself very easy to replace
10. Driveshaft failed for 2nd time, needed replacement $1200.
11. Drains for water had seeped into trunk compartment wetting all the electronics near battery. Dealership couldn't find out what the issue is, i figured it out through a forum where other CTS owners have had similar issues. *free since fixed on my own.
12. Driveshaft failed for 3rd time, needed replacement (covered under parts warranty)
13. Driverside catalytic converter failed needed replacement *$1250
14. CD/DVD player stopped working *decided not to fix it. otherwise $750.
15. Bluetooth for phone works intermittently, doesn't always pick up calls and does always hang them up. *just dealing with it
16. power lumbar seat failed and no longer works * just dealing with it otherwise $513 to fix
17. Front left wheel bearing. $528.

This car was a HUGE disappointment, being it was my first luxury vehicle. Granted I bought it with 75k, i made sure full tune up was performed along with all the fluids changed (transmission, differential, transfer case, coolant) when i first purchased the vehicle. Things have failed on this car that do not fail on reliable manufactures. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GM VEHICLE EVER AGAIN. ESPECIALLY A CADILLAC. Next vehicle will be a Lexus, or even hate to say the new Genesis or Equus look good and have good reliability ratings. Too bad I really wanted to support an American brand. My car was service at Englewood Cadillac in NJ and Brogan Cadillac in Totowa, NJ. They know me by first name at both places because my car has been in there so much, along with other customers I tend to see every now and again. Lots of problems, everyone i know with a used Cadillac has a horrible experience with them. SO DISSATISFIED WITH THIS CAR, PLEASE DO NOT BUY ONE.

2009 CTS
By Joan David

2009 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Sharp but expensive to repair which I have had to do frequently. Also, headlight problems and hard to get any support with a recalled wiring harness which now they are trying to say it's discontinued maybe to avoid covering the cost on a recalled item? My advice, sell the car quickly and never buy another one. That is exactly my next move. I have had this car five years and thought after I paid it off it would last another five years. WRONG! Can't afford the repairs and hoping I can get rid of it.

CTS 09 Review Bought Used 50,000 Miles
By zachj7

2009 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the 09 CTS on a whim without test driving other cars which I regret partially. The 09 CTS is a nice car, looks very nice from the outside, has a respectable interior also. I wish I took a closer look at the Audi, BMW, and possibly the infiniti. My mom has a G37 which is a nicer car in my opinion. The CTS does have the image of being expensive if that is important to you. The car is very heavy but despite its weight, it is very nimble. I feel it could have a few more horses but it can pick up speed pretty well. The Gas mileage is horrible but it does take the 87 octane which is nice. That is a perk that other cars in this luxury category don't have.

Appearance Simple center display Nice for the tall guy (BTW, I am 6' 5'' and I fit comfortably)

Some of the vinyl quality could be better. Bigger trunk