2008 CTS Blown Engine/Oil Consumption/GM fails to act
By jmdhale on
2008 Cadillac CTS 4dr Sedan w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)
I purchased a 2008 Cadillac CTS with 31K which was also the mileage at which the oil had been changed. My wife being the primary driver averages 33 miles a day and is very easy on the vehicle. At 41K the car threw a rod resulting in blown engine. At the advice of GM the car was taken to my local Cadillac for repairs. Although the vehicle only has 41K and the power train warranty is for 100K Covert told me there is nothing they can do as my “power train warranty expired 2 days prior to the break down.” For $10,000 they will put a new engine in for me. GM continues to tell me the warranty is good up to 100K, but states I failed to properly maintain my vehicle. I purchased the car with 31,217 miles on it and have documentation from dealership showing the oil was changed at 31,107 miles. The attached excerpt from my 2008 Cadillac CTS Manual states “you vehicle computer will let you know when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and temperature, and not on mileage.” It goes on to say that one may not need to change their oil, but once a year. When Cadillac turned over their review to GM the local Service Manager wrote “that our vehicle was 6977 miles overdue for an oil change.” The dealership went on to tell me that we should have the oil changed every 5k to 6k. Although the manual specifically states mileage is not a determining factor. Also using the 5K to 6K logic and the fact my oil was changed at 31K we would have been due for an oil change at 37K which based on their equation would only be 3K over not the 6977 reported to GM which resulted in denying my claim. Again GM states mileage in not a factor in oil changes. We owned the car just over 8 months and have only put 9,500 miles on the car. The dealership is stating the car ran completely out of oil and it was our fault. How does oil disappear when we have no leaks? This is not possible and I’ve spoken to numerous certified mechanics who stated “cars do not run out of oil in 9,000 miles unless you have a leak or the car has an oil usage issue which is the fault of the maker. Note this vehicle has 37 recall or service notices some related to power train and cooling systems. We never overheated….no check engine light…but GM and dealership flat out said we are “SOL.” After a 2 billion dollar bailout this is what we get?