Used 2008 Cadillac CTS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Cadillac CTS Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CTS model:

Car of the year?
By jimboc240

2008 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I owned the CTS4 with every option since new. (as well as many many other vehicles) I was generally happy with it, especially how it ran in the snow. You can't beat AWD. For a V6, it can move pretty well. The navigation and Bose sound system is probably its best point. It seemed to do everything well, but nothing stands out. I love our country, but the Germans really are on top in the quality department. On the surface, the interior looks nice, but the leather is thin, and everything else is just cheap plastic. The drivers seat broke. They wanted 1200 to fix it. It came with "heated windshield washers" but they disengaged it due to failure after 1 year. With no fix possible.

The look is good. The audio is superb.

Get rid of the cheap plastic look and feel. Look at the competition as far as general workmanship is concerned. The key fob is super cheap, and it won't last long.

The Love Affair is Over
By jguerin77

2008 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have decided that owning a Cadillac CTS is like dating a beautiful woman with a black heart: they are gorgeous to look at, but they will do you wrong every time. I had a 2004 CTS first, and I had multiple security issues with it requiring trips to the dealer to fix. The my son totaled it when he hit a deer doing 75MPH. I do like the looks of the CTS, so I bought a 2008 CTS 4 as a replacement. It had 28,000 mi. I have had many issues with it as well. First, it uses oil, and the oil MUST be checked every 1500 miles or you will be in trouble. I checked mine at 3000 (after a #60 oil change since it uses synthetic oil), and NO oil registered on the dipstick. No leaks. CTSs just use oil.

Looks great. Mechanically a dud.

I have had two recalls on this car, back door lock had had to be fixed, driveshaft snapped in two on a trip, and it took 3 WEEKS to get it fixed. Never did get my rental car reimbursement. Passenger side AC gauge was stuck at 60, and the part is $700. I left it broken. Now the service air bag light came on, and it is $1,000 for the part. The tire sealant air pump that came with my car worked one time and s now defective and has to be replaced despite me having spent $38 bucks to refill it. When you get your checkbook out to pay for this car, just keep it open. You will continue to pay as long as you own it. Very disappointed!

Happy Owner
By majsharan

2008 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned my Cadillac CTS since 2008 when I bought it fully loaded during the bankruptsy and employee pricing wars for $35,000. At that point the '09s were out so I also got rebates for buying the old model year. I have been generally very happy with purchase. A couple of issues mostly relating to fit and finish. The car has some spots where the wood accents aren't quite large enough to fill the space they are in so there a couple of gaps here and there. Also, the car has a pretty bad paint job for a luxury car. It was like they only put one coat of clear on it. The car also has some interior rattles that seem to come from the bowels of the dash and can't be held down to be stopped.

Safety. I was in a T bone crash that totaled the other car and all they had to do was replace my bumper and front right panel.

More clear coats.

Fuel leak twice
By markneffcts4

2008 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Anyone know what could be wrong? Two fuel leaks in 3 weeks, first was a bad fuel line and Cadillac replaced that, now. I was getting on the freeway and excelerated and engine light came on and message said loss of power, any ideas?

2008 CTS Blown Engine/Oil Consumption/GM fails to act
By jmdhale

2008 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan w/Direct Injection (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2008 Cadillac CTS with 31K which was also the mileage at which the oil had been changed. My wife being the primary driver averages 33 miles a day and is very easy on the vehicle. At 41K the car threw a rod resulting in blown engine. At the advice of GM the car was taken to my local Cadillac for repairs. Although the vehicle only has 41K and the power train warranty is for 100K Covert told me there is nothing they can do as my “power train warranty expired 2 days prior to the break down.” For $10,000 they will put a new engine in for me. GM continues to tell me the warranty is good up to 100K, but states I failed to properly maintain my vehicle. I purchased the car with 31,217 miles on it and have documentation from dealership showing the oil was changed at 31,107 miles. The attached excerpt from my 2008 Cadillac CTS Manual states “you vehicle computer will let you know when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and temperature, and not on mileage.” It goes on to say that one may not need to change their oil, but once a year. When Cadillac turned over their review to GM the local Service Manager wrote “that our vehicle was 6977 miles overdue for an oil change.” The dealership went on to tell me that we should have the oil changed every 5k to 6k. Although the manual specifically states mileage is not a determining factor. Also using the 5K to 6K logic and the fact my oil was changed at 31K we would have been due for an oil change at 37K which based on their equation would only be 3K over not the 6977 reported to GM which resulted in denying my claim. Again GM states mileage in not a factor in oil changes. We owned the car just over 8 months and have only put 9,500 miles on the car. The dealership is stating the car ran completely out of oil and it was our fault. How does oil disappear when we have no leaks? This is not possible and I’ve spoken to numerous certified mechanics who stated “cars do not run out of oil in 9,000 miles unless you have a leak or the car has an oil usage issue which is the fault of the maker. Note this vehicle has 37 recall or service notices some related to power train and cooling systems. We never overheated….no check engine light…but GM and dealership flat out said we are “SOL.” After a 2 billion dollar bailout this is what we get?