Used 2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Cadillac Cts - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CTS model:

Hate too! but we have to part ways!
By hitman_cardino

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

My wife and I bought a new 2005 CTS sport pkg. with all the bells and whistles! At 20k the water pump went out! and needed brakes! Next, everything goes good til the warranty ended at 4 years. Then a clunking sound, couldn't be a month after we got our last free oil change, drive it to a shop, no oil! 1 HID xenon flickered and upgraded both for 200+ now the ballast died 2 weeks later. That will be 150.00 to replace. I need rear differential bushings and front one of two is cracked. 750.00 Hydraulic motor mounds need replacing (1 said no, 1 said yes, getting a 3rd opinion soon). Tht will cost 600.00 I only have 68,000 miles! How about a Honda accord? I'm testing one today!

2005 Oil consumption issues
By gades

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I have 2005 CTS with 68000 miles that has been drinking oil like a drunk sailor for the past 1 1/2 years at the rate of 2 qts every 1000 miles! The dealership tried to charge me in excess of $5500 to fix the problem which included new piston rings and an assortment of other "fixes". Since my warrenty of 6yr/100000 was no longer valid the dealership will now "only" charge me about $1400. I stated my disappointment to them about how can a "high" quality GM car have such problems at such a low milage to which their reply was: "not all the vehicles that cadillac produces will be flawless...every now and then you might get a flawed one"... Never again will I be a cadillac buyer.

Suggested Improvements

Cadillac-Fix the powertrain issues at your own cost!

This Vehicle Might Become Your Casket
By nothappy2010

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

My Navy son was involved in a serious 5 car collision involving my 2005 CTS. The AT-FAULT driver hit my son from the rear, causing him to hit 3 more cars. ALL safety features failed, causing injuries to my son. NONE of the airbags inflated and the seat belt failed to restrain my son. General Motors will not return emails and/or calls-after spending countless hours with my car. They are skirting the accident, which is why I filed a formal complaint with the Consumer Safety Division. Now GM will be required to supply my family with answers. Had my son been hit a mere 10mph faster - he may have suffered severe injury, maybe even death! Thank God he is okay.

Favorite Features

I have nothing nice to say about General Motors or their products. I was raised to say nothing if I had nothing nice to say.... so I am holding my tongue here.

Suggested Improvements

Back up your advertising as being the safest vehicle on the road. Talk with the consumers who spend their hard earned money on your products - yet do not get answers when deficiencies are uncovered.

Would buy again
By Steve

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car almost 3 years ago in Dec. 2007, and I love it. It was a certified car with the 6 yr 100,000 mile warranty, and I was glad I got it - In the first year, the passenger air bag sensor went out & the sunroof switch failed. In the second year, the car was run low on oil and there was no dash light to indicate this. I was given a new engine for free under warranty at 65,000 miles. I haven't had any problems in the past 18 months. Despite these issues, I really love the car. All of the repairs were free under warranty, so that didn't bother me much. The car handles great, has lots of power, is very comfortable, and with my fully optioned car, is really luxurious.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats, XM, navigation, seat memory, power moonroof, programmable steering wheel buttons, voice activation.

Suggested Improvements

Some indication of a low oil condition. The dealer said this car was designed to burn oil (I don't believe him), however it hasn't burned ANY since the new engine was installed. I would also have put in more real wood accents in the interior.

A lot of problems at higher miles
By Bamaguy

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the CTS over a year ago and everything was tight and good. Since then i have replaced rear transmission seal, front drive shaft seal, front drivers wheel bearing. It uses a quart of oil every 2,000 miles and the radiator has a leak. On the interior, the dash has cracks from the sun and the leather seats are not wearing well. At 70,000 miles and easy mature driving this car is a disappointment. Sad to say, but it will be the last GM i buy.

Favorite Features

Great looking exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to learn how to make quality a top concern in their top of the line brand.