2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CTS model:
2005 CTS
By Mikey on 08/11/10 10:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

My CTS is one of the sharpest looking cars I have ever owned. It's fun to drive and drives & feels like a sports car. Unfortunately it has many problems. The oil consumption is ridiculous. Right now it's using a qt. every 600 miles. It's terrible to drive a Caddy & have to carry oil in your trunk. The braking system fails often when I'm turning into my driveway or a parking space making it a major safety hazard. Mechanics have not been able to find the problem as of yet! About every other month I have to replace a burned out brake light.

Great Vehicle!
By tydog on 03/24/10 21:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

The CTS is a real sport sedan. Best of both worlds car. Comfort, style and quality. I have read the bad reviews and my response is find a new mechanic! 3 timing chains? Really!! The water pump in my CTS also failed at 34k miles. dropped off in the AM and picked it up after lunch. Each vehicle has its problematic issues and I think I can deal with a new water pump.. The dealerships that fix them are not the manufactures and they are not all the same..

CTS Oil consumption issues!
By Building4Bri on 03/20/10 16:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Buyers beware - please do your home work when purchasing a CTS Cadillac. Especially between 04 - 06. I own a 2005CTS - 3.8 They have oil consumption issues. As a ( ton ) of other Cadillac owners are finding out the hard way, this is a very serious issue. My Cadillac runs and looks great. God has blessed us with ours still running but I have to add a quart of oil every 2 weeks. After I bought it I realized why the previous owners traded it in. The dealer ship obviously did not advise us of this issue. We took it in multiple times before I had to find out on this web site that many, many others have had the same issues and theirs wasn't a quick fix. I simply have to just check the oil every wk.

Fun car, lots of problems.
By Jeff on 03/09/10 11:10 AM (PST)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Let me start by saying I do like the car. However I've owned it for nearly 3 years and it's in the shop every other month. So far I've replaced the catalytic converters, the oxygen sensors, the battery, the windshield (cracked for no reason), the dashboard, rear shocks, the water pump, tie rods and the passenger seat airbag sensor. This is in addition to normal maintenance such as brakes, tires (of which I've need to put 2 sets on) and oil changes. Also it burns oil at about 1 qt every 2000 miles, I found this out after I nearly ran it out of oil and the computer shut the engine off (there is no light indicating low oil). I like the car, but I probably wouldn't buy another.

Another oil burner
By franko97 on 02/16/10 06:12 AM (PST)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I agree with Dawna - bought the car used, goes through 5 qts every 3000 miles or so. Engine bucked on acceleration. Dealer charged me $100 to reflash the ECM which (unknown to me) was under recall and should have been free. Now it won't start and service airbag light is on. Center column plastic is peeling. Will never buy another Cadillac .

Cadillac no longer means quality.
By Hate to love my CTS on 02/02/10 18:51 PM (PST)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Bought it used in Dec 2008 with 26000 for a DEAL. 6 speed manual, limited slip diff and luxury package for under 13000! 22 in the city, over 30mpg highway even in the smokey mountains in much lower gears than necessary! The perfect car...1 week before warranty went out took it to dealership in jacksonvilel NC, they said car was in tip top shape, 2 weeks later the water pump seals blew out, water pump seized up & the synchros for 1st and reverse stopped working. GM said sorry, this happens, a cadillac that was 4 years old and had 32000 miles on it that needed over 3000 dollars worth of repairs. but the dealership offered me an extra 50 bucks on trade for my trouble.

CTS
By swaz on 01/29/10 18:12 PM (PST)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned my CTS since it had 8 miles. I got 75K miles out of the first set of brakes. I have maintained the car religiously. It is by far the worst car I have ever owned! I would not buy another Cadillac or any American car ever again. The quality stinks. The closer I have gotten to 100K miles the worse the car got. Was told by Capital in Atlanta, GA. "sorry, they didn't install an oil light in this year model". The car will alert you of everything, just not low oil.

Worst I have ever owned
By avguy on 11/10/09 19:49 PM (PST)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. I had to replace the entire valve train at 70,000 miles at $4500 and now at 87,000 miles a connecting rod went and now needs a new engine for $6100 and yes I changed and checked the oil. That's how I knew it went through a quart about ever 2000 miles. If you are looking to buy one of these don't. I will never purchase another GM car, no wonder they are in so much trouble.

Disappointed New Car Owner
By Susan Burnett on 10/03/09 09:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

This purchase was the 1st new car I had ever made. I bought this particular car based on the recommendations made by Consumer Reports. As of today, I have owned it for a little over 4 years and, it has less than 46,000 miles on it. It has had the following problems: full set of replacment tires before 25,000 miles, a LOWER END OVERHAUL before 35,000 miles, a headlamp at 3 1/2 years, a battery at 4 years, a water pump at 45,000 miles, and numerous small problems. As of today, I most likely will never buy a new car again. I will, however, continue to buy GMC products.

Blown ENGINE at 46K
By Hammer on 08/02/09 15:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Cadillac CTS Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Just over 46K on this car and it needs a new engine! There was no warning that it had burned all the oil up. After reading more reviews I'm not the only one. I was just out of my warranty, but GM did try to help saying they would pay for 50% of the replacement. Not so fast! Turns out they have to replace the motor the "GM" way, the dealer wouldn't even quote me a price. After asking again he said that it could run more than just putting in a new motor. Thanks, but no thanks! I'll put in a new motor, how's that for BILLIONS of bailout money? I'm sure our kids/grandkids are very happy with our investment. GM should have DIED, don't buy a Caddy.